Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i want to hear your ideas for a new pellet

i want to hear your ideas for a new pellet

i was reading a post on here. and it got me thinking how would i come up with a better pellet for hunting why not take the best of whats been made already and combine them some how? i hate to admit it but i have used Gamo pellets before and have shot the lethal pellet out of my Diana 350 that i tuned using the .142 wire spring. it puts out over 24 ftb in .177 and more when i switch barrels to .22.
    I put in a lethal pellet then put in a hobby behind it. (shooting a 5grain pellet in that gun would surely break the spring first try) i could only get good accuracy inside 10 yards. but it was shattering pennys in many pieces and putting holes in quarters. and with good domes i.e JSB 18 grain i can get under an inch on a windless day at 50 yards. not all the time mind you but 5 outa 10 groups will do it.
    Now all the gamo lethal pellet is . is a plastic sabot around a steel post with a wide head. and the JSB is just soft lead. now i would take the insert from the gamo pellet turn it upside down and sharpen post and form the domed soft lead pellet around it. the when it hit flesh the lead would peel back exposing the sharp steel point.
    i would think you would get very good penetration and also a good mushroom effect much like a centerfire bullet peeling back on impact. Think of a Polymag with the point covered with a dome. Yes it would have to be thought out more but i am sure it could be done some how?
    Now i here a lot of bitching and moaning about what out there on offer for pellets. Thats theres is only 3-6 really good pellets amongest the whole pellets being made in this day and age. here is your chance to pipe up and tells us how you could come up with better
    Aint no fun when the rabbits got the gun

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Shoving two pellets up the barrel is just going to give you dreadful accuracy.

Accuracy is everything with airguns as even a very powerful springer is far less powerful than the weakest firearm. Get the most accurate pellet you can find, usually JSB or one of the branded versions of such.

Airgun pellets are soft and hollow and will deform on impact, no need for hollowpoints or spikes or any kind of weirdness, just use round-heads or flat-heads at the shorter distances.

If you want to use expanding bullets, get a .22 rimfire bolt gun and knock yourself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Airgun pellets are soft and hollow and will deform on impact, no need for hollowpoints or spikes or any kind of weirdness, just use round-heads or flat-heads at the shorter distances.
    Got to agree completely...

missed the point of the post

yes i know soft lead domes deform on inpact. but they just flatten out and get no penetration. think adding the steel post to punch though the skull on head shots would help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie350 View Post
    yes i know soft lead domes deform on inpact. but they just flatten out and get no penetration. think adding the steel post to punch though the skull on head shots would help a lot.
    consistency from one pellet to the next would be hard to replicate unless you had a good way to keep them all the same .

weigh a tin of pellets and a fair amount of different weights in one tin would be normal.

its the same with most .22lr bullets .different rim thickness and so on.

I've never had a problem with a pellet not penetrating a skull. Of course, I have to do my bit - choosing the range that I'm capable in within the available power limit:

A soft 13.43gn FAP traveling at around 615fps from my TX easily brings down squirrels with head shots at 40yrds.
    Yes the pellet expands but, it does it on the way in, causing a lot of damage and a fast kill.

I've also seen a 10.34gn JSB Heavy doing a tad over 700fps pass through a rabbits skull at around 35yrds.

Either way, putting in a lot of practice and, working within my limits and the legal limits, and using a bit of field craft, I haven't yet had an issue with pellets not penetrating.

I went away from this sport in '95/'96. When I returned in 2014, things had moved on a lot - there was all sorts of swanky new developments that we didn't have before.
    However, the humble soft lead diablo remained relatively unchanged - in my humble opinion, at sub 12 levels, it just can't be bettered.

I do like your thinking though and, kudos for having the balls to put and idea out for discussion
    I'm a sucker for trying different pellets - plastic ones, hollow ones, pointy ones, even glow in the dark ones
    I recently tried Predator Metalmag and Crossman Piranha, both .177 but, like many others, I only found 2 more pellets that don't work for me

A couple that I have had some success with lately are - H&N FTT Green, these gave me a 12mm 10 shot group at 30yrds from a .22 BSA Superten and, Predator Polymag Shorts - these have given less than 15mm groups at 40yrds from an HW100kt and an Impact GSX100, both .177.

I'd be interested to see any test results if you take your thoughts further and make a few pellets.

Atb

All of the above.

thanks

thanks mate. i have made some pellets before that shot well enough for hunting to about 20-25 yards that really drops the starling and eurasian dove we have around here. i can get some old stock .177 daisy power pellets that is just like the gamo rockets but came before them they have just the right head shape to click into the back of a .22 RWS hobby.and stay locked in on there own. they shoot accurate like i said up to about 25 yards and really pack a punch when they hit. i have dug them out of a few doves and they end up almost a round ball with the steel BB just poking out the front. i have only tryed them in my Diana 350 and my R1 as both have the power to get them moving well over 750 fps not sure how good they would work at the speeds imposed on you lads across the pond though

Shooting at 24 ftlb at starlings and doves, at 25 yards and you want more penetration

thanks mate. i have made some pellets before that shot well enough for hunting to about 20-25 yards that really drops the starling and eurasian dove we have around here. i can get some old stock .177 daisy power pellets that is just like the gamo rockets but came before them they have just the right head shape to click into the back of a .22 RWS hobby.and stay locked in on there own. they shoot accurate like i said up to about 25 yards and really pack a punch when they hit. i have dug them out of a few doves and they end up almost a round ball with the steel BB just poking out the front. i have only tryed them in my Diana 350 and my R1 as both have the power to get them moving well over 750 fps not sure how good they would work at the speeds imposed on you lads across the pond though
    With our power limits, we sometimes have to see the same pellets as having different purposes. For example ....

H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme - at your velocities it will hit and expand as intended. At our velocities, it doesn't. However, the shape of the head helps it to deliver a right wallop. This pellet is another one that can be very accurate at sub 12 and, the hit and shock it delivers without actually expanding, does yield good results.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Shooting at 24 ftlb at starlings and doves, at 25 yards and you want more penetration
    You can't beat a good feather ball

All of the above.

lol

not more on the doves but theres a lot more to hunt then just pest here in the high desert. wed have big jack rabbits. and ground hogs. ground squirrel. tree squirrel. skunk. fox . muskrat. coyote. that can be hunted year round and many other small game with seasons . i would love to have a nice dome pellet that can be accurate out to 40-50 yards and have a nice surprise inside to punch a hole in the skull when it hits the spot in front of the ear. and NO i am not saying to go out shooting coyote with a spring airgun . but at under 20 yards with the right gun it can be done cleanly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I was thinking the same thing! lol

i would love to have a nice dome pellet that can be accurate out to 40-50 yards and have a nice surprise inside to punch a hole in the skull when it hits the spot in front of the ear.
    What about the H&N Piledriver?

I'm not sure what the .22 weight is but the .177 is 21gr! I shoot a couple from my sub 12ft at a 14cm paper target from 20 metres. It was zero'ed with a 10.34gr pellet and the piledriver didn't even hit the paper target when aiming for the bully!

Chris

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    At the power you're using have you thought of a bigger calibre, may be a .25 for the larger game or a heavy robust lead .22, non of this plastic pellet stuff, also find the most accurate and then practice with it, as for the smaller game and birds, a heavy lead pellet which is the most accurate should suffice, if I can stick a medium weight .177 lead pellet through the skull of a rabbit or pigeon at under 12ftp then I'm sure you can do the same with double the power and a heavier lead pellet, at the power you're using as well the shock factor will also come into play.

Accuracy and where you put the pellet is everything.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    a very powerful springer is far less powerful than the weakest firearm.
    What about a .22 cap