Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 2240

Crosman 2240

Hello

I'm looking for some advice.

I like the look of the Crosman 2240 pistol. I was considering the pump up Crosman's but I've never had a Co2 pistol so these now are in the running. (I won't be getting anything just yet though as I've bought too many guns lately ). Also having just hurt my shoulder Co2 will be easier than cocking springers.

Can I ask, does anyone have any comments about the 2240 & also how loud is it? I've seen reports of it being noisy & as i'll be using it to "kill" cans, targets & other stuff in my single garage I don't want to have to wear ear plugs or p' the neighbours off (or indeed anyone to think there's a nutter shooting a (non air-pistol) gun in his garage )

Any input would be welcome.

Cheers

Dave

Best with a silencer and a nice red dot sight.
    Silencer adaptors and pro blocks to give you a dovetail are both available from JSR
    I had a deben whisper silencer on mine.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Definitely too loud for back garden shooting without a silencer. As above though adaptors are easily avalable.

Much better value 2nd hand if you can get one. If you ever do start to customise it (easy and addictive), a steel or brass breech is the single best mod to do. Never got on with those horrible pro-block things that clamp on the barrel.

The modding can get out of hand if you aren't careful: Been having a clear out of airgun bits the last few days, and I've found enough 2240/50 bits to make a complete gun
    Good deals with these members

Too noisy for that. Needs a silencer for indoor or back garden use (unless you live in an isolated spot and/or have a 6 acre back garden).

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Most of the noise will come from the the cans being killed 😀

2240's are very powerful 😉 and great fun!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Noisy Pistol

I know this is about the Crosman but I have just got a SMK CP1-M and there are similar comments about it being very loud.

Although you can add a moderator I don't find it at all loud, as was said more is made by the tin cans as they are torn apart!

M.

As above, the muzzle report is quite loud, but the noise from the cans being hit will be just as loud.

So, maybe, some quieter targets?

Also, you mention that you had been considering the pump-up? Maybe a good move as, even if you have issues, putting three pumps in is really easy and they're much, much quieter if you're not pumping to full power.

I have a 1377 and a couple of 2240s and like them all. And the pump-up will be cheaper to run, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks for the comments gents. The noise thing is interesting. I just watched a video on You**be, comparing one against a Weihrauch HW45 & there didn't seem that much difference in noise. It's a bit difficult to tell from an on-line vid' though
    I have a BSA Scorpion pistol in .22 will it be louder than that do you think?
    Can bashing does currently make quite a din but basically I just don't want to end up deaf or aggravating the neighbours. If I know I'd have to buy bits (like a silencer etc straight off) I can budget for it but it would be good to know if it's usable initially without.
    Cheers for all the input, much appreciated.

I would say it is too noisy.

So you need to budget for a GMac silencer adapter with sight pin and a silencer which is going to add maybe £60 to the cost.

To be fair most single shot co2 pistols are noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Thanks for the comments gents. The noise thing is interesting. I just watched a video on You**be, comparing one against a Weihrauch HW45 & there didn't seem that much difference in noise. It's a bit difficult to tell from an on-line vid' though
    I have a BSA Scorpion pistol in .22 will it be louder than that do you think?
    Can bashing does currently make quite a din but basically I just don't want to end up deaf or aggravating the neighbours. If I know I'd have to buy bits (like a silencer etc straight off) I can budget for it but it would be good to know if it's usable initially without.
    Cheers for all the input, much appreciated.
    A lot noisier than a Scorpion.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    The other point to address is how much fun these damn things are.
    I've had mine for 15 years and it's not finished yet!
    It's a hobby unto itself.
    Love it. It'll never be for sale 😃
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

The 2240 is cheap, powerful and great fun.

I had one which I modded but, funnily enough, the more sophisticated it became the less fun I found it so I sold it on and bought a basic one again.

I use mine mainly in the garage and it certainly not to noisy for me and I don't have fears for my hearing. That said my garage is detached and my nearest neighbour is 100 yards away and set back so they wouldn't hear even if it was louder.

I thoroughly recommend CO2. I collect Webley rifles and pistols and the 2240 was the first CO2 I bought out of curiosity. I now have quite a Crosman/KWC/Umarex CO2 collection as well and end up buying CO2 caplets 100 at a time!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Many camera microphones just record loud noises up to a limit and then just cut off any higher sound pressure levels.
    For example typically android phone camera microphones don't register much above 110dB.

Probably the most important single change one can make with a 2240 in terms of noise at the muzzle is reducing hammer spring strength. Either going to a slightly lighter gauge spring, or carefully clipping off 1/2 coil of the stock spring at a time and testing until the noise begins to reduce. The problem with 2240's and excessive noise (and they really are loud, especially indoors) is that the barrel is too short for the large volume of CO2 dumped by the rather heavy (about 65 grams) hammer weight and the strong, long spring. Reducing the spring a bit at a time (remove rear plug, clip spring, reassemble) you will soon find that the amount of CO2 'cloud' appearing after the pellet is reduced, as is the report. After the initial reduction in noise/waste CO2 it becomes a matter of individual requirements in terms of just how slow you want the pellet to go. Clipping a little bit of spring at a time and waiting for that drop in noise shouldn't cost more than 10 to 20fps so still plenty for garage or garden plinking. THAT is the point at which you add a silencer, as the reduced volume of gas escaping after the pellet will be much easier to quiet with just about any silencer, even something relatively simple and compact. Quieting a really loud pistol would be much more challenging.

Superb info' thanks again for all this.

So, it's looking like i'll get a silencer when I get one. That's no biggie as it'll look cool Next questions (sorry) are which is the best one to get ? I don't want to use a scope or red dot I just want to use ordinary sights. Are there any silencers that can perhaps be used with the existing Crosman sights? Also do all the silencers screw on or do some just push on, is one type of fitting better?

Thanks again

Dave
    Last edited by ETCHY; 07-03-2017 at 05:56 PM.