Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parallel Tip Screwdrivers?

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!

Parallel Tip Screwdrivers?

I was out with my HW95K yesterday and noticed that the action has become quite loose in the stock.

Obviously it should hopefully just be a case on tightening the stock screws but I was just reading an article on the Air Arms website that said you should always use a parallel tip screwdriver on stock screws to avoid damaging the screw.

Now to be honest I am an expert at messing up the simplest of jobs of jobs and have damaged screws before by using the incorrect size of screwdriver but I've never heard of these parallel tip screwdrivers so I was just wondering if you could tell me what the difference between these and a normal screwdriver and will it prevent me damaging the screws?

I really does bug me when I cause paint damage or burrs on screw heads so any advice of this would be really gratefully received.

I know it's a stupid question but I am a pretty stupid guy so go easy

Thanks as always guys.
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

Afaik

Not 100% but my understanding is that instead of having a constant tapering angle on the blade of the screwdriver from the shank to the tip, there is an area lading to the tip where both faces of the blade are exactly parallel. I guess this would improve the security of location in the screw head and reduce slippage and consequently burring of screw heads etc.
    prone position down!

I asked a similar question the other day on this thread:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-screw-drivers

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    A lot of screwdriver sets with interchangeable tips have parallel sided flat tips and usually a good enough selection of sizes to ensure there is no excuse for selecting something very close to the ideal size.

What it's referring to is hollow ground screwdriver blades.. as mentioned above there's no wedge to chew up the screw heads. They are very good for old shotguns with handmade screws.
    Donald

A parallel tip is straight down each side from the shank. My guess that you need that is because they are cheese head screws and a flare tip screwdriver will foul on the wooden stock if the screw is recessed.

FYI a flare tip screwdriver is wider at the shank and they are good for countersink screws as the cut in the screw head will be slightly narrower at the bottom of the cut as it is at the top.

I used to be a branch manger of a tool shop and enjoy reading tons of absolutely pointless information in the hope that one day it may be useful........ I have finally been able to share some!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    What it's referring to is hollow ground screwdriver blades.. as mentioned above there's no wedge to chew up the screw heads. They are very good for old shotguns with handmade screws.
    turn screws

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...&cPath=116_155

jack rowe shows you how to make your own here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xAA5UnF1w
    Last edited by bighit; 06-03-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Look what I found

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...-seeking-grace

Atb
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    You guys are awesome!
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

I have a set of these:
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2010/...rewdriver-set/
    They can be found for about 30 quid I think.. or if you know someone coming back from the states, my dad bought me mine for 24.99$
    I like to make screwdriver for special jobs out of old chisels! I have one for the screw on the end of the bsa cadet pistons and I have one for bsa pistol grip bolts.
    All you need is a grinder or a set of sanding drum/wheels.
    Donald

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I wouldn't touch any of those with bargepole... Purdey or not

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I've made my own with some spare screwdivers and a benchgrinder, for taking apart antique locks with handmade screws.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I wouldn't touch any of those with bargepole... Purdey or not
    The fact is that there are much more than just three sizes of screw in existence. These turnscrews are made to be ground to the required size, so don't expect them to last forever, either.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    The fact is that there are much more than just three sizes of screw in existence. These turnscrews are made to be ground to the required size, so don't expect them to last forever, either.
    Exactly. Best practice is just to have a range of inexpensive (but not completely crap) screwdrivers that you can modify as and when.
    Good deals with these members