Thread: Best BB metal?

Best BB metal?

Just bought a bb Colt defender as I've never owned a bb before I'm surprised on the different metals the balls are made in. Which would be the best for accuracy etc, lead copper or steel. Thanks

Didn't know there were copper ones. There are copper plated steel ones. The steel ones work in all .177 bb guns but the lead ones can jam through being mis-shapen and slightly oversize. You can get better quality lead ones on special order. The only pistols I have had that seem to like steel or lead bb is the Crosman 677 and the Baikal MP 651 K. Perhaps members on here can list others.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

There are basically two 'common' types - steel and lead. Recently some plastic ones have been launched and reviews so far seem positive.

The 'copper ones' are steel, just coated with copper. I see no advantage in using those so I use just the steel ones. Some clubs don't allow steel BBs because of the danger of rebounds so at those you need to use lead BBs - safer. Lead is heavier than steel so POI with these is different to steels.

If you do go for lead don't 'overload' magazines as leads are easily 'squashed'. And avoid the Gamo ones too - inconsistent and known to cause jams in some guns. Spend xtra and get decent ones.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78