Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone identify these ?

Can anyone identify these ?

I have been offered a few bits from a guy, yet to see them in the flesh, but I would like an idea of what I am looking at when I see him, and a rough idea on value if that's possible, the photos are not great, I will try and get some more tomorrow

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...C936D77887.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...651A3D1938.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...E45940F63A.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...01E65D121A.jpg
    Last edited by Rabid; 09-03-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Oh joy, won't seem to let me add pics ! Makes it a non starter then doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    Oh joy, won't seem to let me add pics ! Makes it a non starter then doesn't it.
    Yup.

tac

Photo bucket?
    Dropbox?
    Google pics?
    Loads of cloud storage out there... save your pics and generate a link
    Donald

Enfield Musket probably .65 Calibre
    Couple of Bowie knives, Very good quality could be worth a lot of money.
    1907 British bayonet and a French Bayonet 1870's and a socket bayonet.
    A Kukri good quality.
    Regards Jeff

Tower lock, trigger guard & barell band on muskett (barrel could be anything), short bayonet German K98 (may be contract ) brass pomell looks like French Gras, socket bayonet poss Brown Bess, ribbed brass grip looks like French Chassepot. Bowies, lh late pattern Sheffield possibly W Rodgers, Knowill but will have marking on hilt, rh German Solingen made forged blade with welded tang, usually found with hardwood grips both@ late 60's 70's.
    I have both the Sheffield bowie Ipurchased in 1968 and the "African Hunter" was a gift in 1980. Kukri should be WD Broad Arrow marked (but not allways!), 1907 Enfield looks about right.
    All should be marked just need to googlgly.
    H

Excellent, gives me something to look into.

Any idea values ?

not very clear pics esp when blown up.....lock and hammer looks to be kyber pass copies...
    remove lock by taking out the two side nails and lock should come out . might have to cock hammer.
    is they are makers initials or names there....if english they should be but none if foreign made.
    when lock is out check lock mortice to see if its rough cut out or new looking.
    british guns were very well made whereas kyber pass versions were just hacked out so to speak.
    the barrel is definately not british maybe belgian and made to fit.

Thanks fellas, well I went and saw him today and done a few deals, much appreciate the advice given here as it was my starting point for researching them.

Was the Enfield type musket with a foreign barrel a kyber copy ?

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    Was the Enfield type musket with a foreign barrel a kyber copy ?
    Honestly, I didn't check, we got round to them, he spat a price out for the pair, and it was a price that it didn't actually bother me what they were, I had seen them and they are perfect wall hangers, so I paid up and was happy.

I will take some time over them this weekend, as I would like to know for myself, so I can at least value them for insurance if nowt else.

I would have liked to add some pictures on here of some of the bits I got, if time allows and anyone is interested I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    Honestly, I didn't check, we got round to them, he spat a price out for the pair, and it was a price that it didn't actually bother me what they were, I had seen them and they are perfect wall hangers, so I paid up and was happy.

I will take some time over them this weekend, as I would like to know for myself, so I can at least value them for insurance if nowt else.

I would have liked to add some pictures on here of some of the bits I got, if time allows and anyone is interested I will.
    Yes take lock off and see if any makers marks etc
    I presume barrel will have liege ( elg ) stamps on

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    Yes take lock off and see if any makers marks etc
    I presume barrel will have liege ( elg ) stamps on
    Ok, so curiosity got the better of me, I took the lock off from both of them, I can't see any makers names, stamps or engraving, but it's pretty thick crud (thick heavy type of grease) over the metal parts so pretty difficult to see anything without some type of clean up, though nothing obvious.
    The woodwork looks to have been done reasonably well (for what I presume is an old gun) and doesn't looked hacked out by any means, it has been carved around all the moving parts inside if that makes sense.

Both guns seem to be the same inside, so I will presume they are the kyber copy you mention.

Not looked for any marks on the barrel as yet.

bung the lock in an ultrasonic cleaner....looks like a khyber pass copy or a colonial made one.....its that barrel thats wrong