Thread: Diana Model 25 info

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Diana Model 25 info

I have just bought a rough Diana Model 25 and would appreciate some help dating it. I cannot see a date stamp on the butt. It has the huntress on the cylinder + "Diana mod 25" and "British made". It has no scope rail on it or holes for fixing one. It has a flat cylinder end cap rather than a domed one. The cap is thin pressed steel, like the domed one, but it is flat like the early German version of the gun. The stock also seems to be heavier/ better quality than most I have seen. I am guessing this is mid 50's or maybe earlier, wiith having the "British made", rather than "made in Great Britain"
    Any info appreciated + looking for a rear sight plate for this.
    Thanks

Bit of an update. The endcap is threaded and not a push on one. This does seem a bit of a strange one
    Last edited by ggggr; 10-03-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Adding infor about endcap
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Pics of my 25 from 1960.
    The date stamp on the butt is at the upper end, they aren't stamped very deep and with years of being stood on rough floors they disappear with wear. Diana's also have date stamps on the left of the cylinder but I don't think this applies to this vintage of model 25.
    I've photo'd the end cap and rear sight Often they have the sliding ramp but mine isn't.
    It also has three threaded holes for a scope rail , which I have removed as it covers half of the huntress figure. The rail has marked the blue though so really needs to go back on.
    Bought this in 1984 for £7 when I was first collecting.
    I returned to collecting a couple of rears ago and this is 1 of 5 that I have kept from that first journey.
    This time around I still seem to have used my rose tinted specs when buying a few

http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/st...les/Diana%2025
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I have just bought a rough Diana Model 25 and would appreciate some help dating it. I cannot see a date stamp on the butt. It has the huntress on the cylinder + "Diana mod 25" and "British made". It has no scope rail on it or holes for fixing one. It has a flat cylinder end cap rather than a domed one. The cap is thin pressed steel, like the domed one, but it is flat like the early German version of the gun. The stock also seems to be heavier/ better quality than most I have seen. I am guessing this is mid 50's or maybe earlier, wiith having the "British made", rather than "made in Great Britain"
    Thanks
    Guy if it's British made and has a flat end cap and no 'scope rail, I think you're right and that it's probably one of Milbro's early postwar guns based closely on the 1930s German rifles.
    Last edited by Garvin; 09-03-2017 at 02:44 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

A Milbro 'diana' would be 1946/7 at the earliest. They were allowed to take all the Rastatt machinery in early 1946 so add-on the time for shipping and learning how to use it* and late '46/47.

*"half-learning" in Millard Bros case...

I've edited the Op to include that the gun has a screw on cylinder end cap, but if anyone has more info I would appreciate it.
    Apparently the first post war Diana adverts in the Meccano Magazine appeared in 1952. It has been pointed out that in 1951 (I think) Meccano were shut, due to a shortage of metal, needed for the Korean war. I wonder if Diana (Millard bothers), Bsa or Webley were also shut at this time?
    It has also been suggested that the "British Made" stamping might have been for export, and did it change to "Made in Great Britain" after the coronation??

Any views appreciated.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Thanks

Bit of an update. The endcap is threaded and not a push on one. This does seem a bit of a strange one
    I've stripped the gun down now and it is a bit strange. The breach block has recesses for shims. (there are no shims but the gun has obviously been stripped before). The piston does not have a peg to hold the piston washer screw in place like the German guns.

Apparently the first post war Diana adverts in the Meccano Magazine appeared in 1952. It has been pointed out that in 1951 (I think) Meccano were shut, due to a shortage of metal, needed for the Korean war. I wonder if Diana (Millard bothers), Bsa or Webley were also shut at this time?
    It has also been suggested that the "British Made" stamping might have been for export, and did it change to "Made in Great Britain" after the coronation??
    Any more info appreciated or if someone has a similar gun.
    Any views appreciated.