Many readers were interested in the report I filed here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-neatsfoot-oil

Basically, after introducing a drop of neatsfoot oil into the transfer port, the cocking lever became so stiff that the pistol would not cock. I then injected several drops of weboil, but that made no difference.

The pistol was stripped (it was difficult to open the cylinder-head but a blow torch finally released it) and the cylinder was cleaned, along with the piston and synthetic washer. For good measure, I cleaned the spring and spring guide. I used a rag, methylated spirits (following advice of a respondent, here), plus WD40, plus Brasso for the piston. The washer was removed and cleaned with a dry cloth.

Finally, I provided a light smear of Abbey gun grease, LT2, to the spring.

I re-assembled the pistol but the cocking lever remained stiff. I therefore disassembled the pistol again and, with a measure of desperation, applied a rather greater measure of Abbey LT2 grease. Re-assembling the pistol, I discovered the cocking lever was a little looser. Disassembling the pistol twice more, I introduced additional grease and to the piston head as well.

Finally, the pistol was again operating as it had been, without difficulty, and was again smooth to cock.

Conclusion: I introduced neatsfoot because, to the best of my knowledge, the pistol had not been lubricated since new (1975) and had been stored for decades. I suspect the neatsfoot diluted the original grease on the washer/piston and also cleaned it from the washer/piston. The addition of weboil probably exacerbated this process. This caused the dry washer to meet resistance against the cylinder upon cocking.

The reintroduction of LT2 grease rectified the problem and this suggests that this pistol and its synthetic washer operate on grease, not on oil.

Readers experiencing similar difficulties would be advised to use a grease similar to the above instead of oil. Certainly, they should be wary before injecting any oil into the transfer port.

I wonder what is used for air rifles with similar synthetic washers? Perhaps grease is sufficient.

Rgds
A