Thread: weird Diana 46 stutzen help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

weird Diana 46 stutzen help

Just bought this 46 'stutzen'. At least, thats how it was sold.
    However, the stock doesnt seem to be original, as it doesnt have the very front stockholes/screws. The holes havent been there either. They're not filled.
    The plastic sight unit underneath dóes have screwholes.
    Besides that, I cant find any coding on the action besides 'made in germany' , cal .177/4.5 and the presumed manufacturing date: 01 07
    No brand name, no model 46 ,nothing else, can't even find a serial number not even with the stock removed.

I want to know wether it ís a Stutzen to start with. But thats hard without a SN.
    Where should the SN be??
    ATB,
    yana

Question

Hi Yana

Your rifle doesn't look like the typical Diana/RWS Stutties, None of them has the angular cheekpiece but rather a teardrop shaped one!

Is yours the lift up breech or the sliding breech as I think the Mod 46 was lift up and the 430 was sliding breech!!

Also, I think the model/numbers etc were etched on so could have been worn off!!

It's an enigma!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thumbs up

I wonder if the stock could have been a home made jobbie to fit a none stuttie action as I can recall seing a normal sized Airsporter in a home made stock! It was very long as standard Airsporter barrels are a fair bit longer than the Stutzen barrels!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

It's certainly not like my 46 stutzen. I can't find an obvious serial number on mine either. The makers name and model number are on the flip up breech.

It could well be a non standard stock on a ST action? What surprised me was that the standard 46 action has a longer barrel than the ST action. Clearly the under lever latches differently too. As has been.pointed.out the ST will have allowance made for the forward tip fixing screws both through the stock and into the foresight assembly.
    I can't recall barrel lengths of each action.mainly I think as I never measured them.lol. but the ST barrel is deffo.shorter.
    Dave

For the Diana 460 the date of manufacture will be stamped on the left of the action just above the trigger in the very tiny format 'mm yy' normally that would be just above the stockline. Your stock does look unoriginal in that 'stutzen or schnabel tip' is too pronounced, cheek swell angular (as mentioned above), butt pad ... basically all wrong & the side fore checkering outline wouldn't fit that of the 460 age range (I believe it's an attempt at an earlier Diana memorial design). The 460 is a modern era Diana.

All the above would apply to a rifle with standard cylinder markings. (which are usually Maker/A Wholesale Trade Name, Trigger type 'T05' etc and Calibre).

As said previously on here, I think your stock is a very good 'amateur' stutzen, were it mine I would consider losing a little depth from the fore tip (schnabel) and changing the side panels on the fore end - otherwise, it's pretty good !