Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird Diana 46 stutzen help

weird Diana 46 stutzen help

Just bought this 46 'stutzen'. At least, thats how it was sold.
    However, the stock doesnt seem to be original, as it doesnt have the very front stockholes/screws. The holes havent been there either. They're not filled.
    The plastic sight unit underneath dóes have screwholes.
    Besides that, I cant find any coding on the action besides 'made in germany' , cal .177/4.5 and the presumed manufacturing date: 01 07
    No brand name, no model 46 ,nothing else, can't even find a serial number not even with the stock removed.

I want to know wether it ís a Stutzen to start with. But thats hard without a SN.
    Where should the SN be??
    ATB,
    yana

Question

Hi Yana

Your rifle doesn't look like the typical Diana/RWS Stutties, None of them has the angular cheekpiece but rather a teardrop shaped one!

Is yours the lift up breech or the sliding breech as I think the Mod 46 was lift up and the 430 was sliding breech!!

Also, I think the model/numbers etc were etched on so could have been worn off!!

It's an enigma!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thumbs up

I wonder if the stock could have been a home made jobbie to fit a none stuttie action as I can recall seing a normal sized Airsporter in a home made stock! It was very long as standard Airsporter barrels are a fair bit longer than the Stutzen barrels!!

John

It's certainly not like my 46 stutzen. I can't find an obvious serial number on mine either. The makers name and model number are on the flip up breech.

It could well be a non standard stock on a ST action? What surprised me was that the standard 46 action has a longer barrel than the ST action. Clearly the under lever latches differently too. As has been.pointed.out the ST will have allowance made for the forward tip fixing screws both through the stock and into the foresight assembly.
    I can't recall barrel lengths of each action.mainly I think as I never measured them.lol. but the ST barrel is deffo.shorter.
    Dave

For the Diana 460 the date of manufacture will be stamped on the left of the action just above the trigger in the very tiny format 'mm yy' normally that would be just above the stockline. Your stock does look unoriginal in that 'stutzen or schnabel tip' is too pronounced, cheek swell angular (as mentioned above), butt pad ... basically all wrong & the side fore checkering outline wouldn't fit that of the 460 age range (I believe it's an attempt at an earlier Diana memorial design). The 460 is a modern era Diana.

All the above would apply to a rifle with standard cylinder markings. (which are usually Maker/A Wholesale Trade Name, Trigger type 'T05' etc and Calibre).

As said previously on here, I think your stock is a very good 'amateur' stutzen, were it mine I would consider losing a little depth from the fore tip (schnabel) and changing the side panels on the fore end - otherwise, it's pretty good !

Its flip-up breech just like it should be.
    I know its not an original stock. I now only wonder about the action.
    It doesnt say ANYTHING on the flip-up breech. No make or model.
    Cant find any trigger model on it either (T05).
    I know that Stutzens were been made in this period. I know an original Stutzen with the same 01 07 date on it.
    It dóes have holes in the plastic front sight unit but I dont know wether all 46's have that or Stutzens only.
    The Stutzen uses the 46 Compact action, with shorter barrel.
    I do believe this is the Compact version allthough I havent measured barrel length.
    I'll make some extra pics later
    ATB,
    yana

Your 46 may have been reblued at some stage. This would explain the lack of laser etched model no. etc on the action.
    Is it possible that this was 46 compact for which someone has made or adapted a stutzen stock for?
    I do recall seeing that style of cheekpiece before but I can't remember where exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Your 46 may have been reblued at some stage. This would explain the lack of laser etched model no. etc on the action.
    Is it possible that this was 46 compact for which someone has made or adapted a stutzen stock for?
    I do recall seeing that style of cheekpiece before but I can't remember where exactly.
    The angular cheekpiece looks slightly similar to the later Original 50 when the stocks became chunky but they're obviously not quite Stutzens!!

EDIT-
    Nope, It looks nowt like it!! Didn't realise there was a close up pic!!

John

I've definitely seen a similar cheekpiece. I'm wondering if it was from the Diana catalogue when they offered the custom/ bespoke service. Its also possible the lack of etching is due to a replacement breech cover being fitted.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I've definitely seen a similar cheekpiece. I'm wondering if it was from the Diana catalogue when they offered the custom/ bespoke service. Its also possible the lack of etching is due to a replacement breech cover being fitted.
    Must say, I quite like the stock but I can't say i've seen one like it before!!

John

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    The cheek piece and stock appear to be a german pattern sometimes seen on "high end" Blaser or Anschutz hunting/safari rifles in top grade Anatolian or Aserbaijan walnut !
    The lower ridges vary in number from 1 to 3.
    Standard Diana cheek pieces tend to be the Monti Carlo pattern.

This particular stock looks like a custom special and personally, I like it !
    “An airgun or two”………

From the 3 pics the action looks like a 'T 05' 460 with no noticeable changes (scope mount etc look standard), but the lack of markings is weird - they are not the sort of thing that can be lost by overpolishing or whatever (they are properly stamped & approx 1.5mm deep - laser etching came later). M&G / Diana have made rfiles for many other distributors & used diff. names in certain regions (RWS, Gecado, Remington etc) but ...

Youir stock looks to be a very stylized german hog's back stutzen with checkering copied from the later Mod 50 (of the 60's/70's).

Well, I've found the markings. They're VERY vague. With a light they are hardly recogniseable.
    Cant really tell what it says. Lóóks like 43 but that cant be. Must be 46.
    Does a Stutzen have its own model on it? Like '46 stutzen' or 46ST?
    Dont think it has been reblued though. It actually should háve a reblue

Do all model 46 have the holes in the plastic foresight? Or stutzen only?
    ATB,
    yana

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Well, I've found the markings. They're VERY vague. With a light they are hardly recogniseable.
    Cant really tell what it says. Lóóks like 43 but that cant be. Must be 46.
    Does a Stutzen have its own model on it? Like '46 stutzen' or 46ST?
    Dont think it has been reblued though. It actually should háve a reblue

Do all model 46 have the holes in the plastic foresight? Or stutzen only?
    There is a Model 430 Stutxen but that is a sliding breech model (I think!) but then, If the digits aren't prope4rly formed, A 6 could look like a 3

Googling images for all the various Diana Stutzen models, It seems like they all have the screws at the forend!

Maybe some stockmaker or carpenter thought to improve the original design and you have a one off stock!

John