Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airguns seized at shows

Confirm

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    I do know this person who has had his air guns taken so this is fact not fiction
    Please then confirm the actual situation .
    How , where , when and why /for what reason .
    It would help 10/10.

Threads like this really have no value to collectors, unless they contain some established facts, which this one does not
    All we have here is so far is a tale about some blokes who have had there 'airguns' seized by a mysterious 'official' group that has no name and by the sound of it, no accountability

Splosh - how about some facts: What shows, when and where in the country, how many people, what reason given for seizure ?

Don't understand how any department other than the police can confiscate firearms. Is this group of people genuine, anybody could be going around taking peoples property.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

Equally it could be argued that someone at a boot fair is not a dealer until they sell a certain (undefined in the Act) number of airguns per week/month/year.
    Hi Danny

I'm led to believe that the unofficial figure given by the Home Office is 12 airguns sales per annum, before requiring an RFD license ?

All the best Mick

Anyone in plain clothes if police will have a warrant card or if from some other governmental division an ID card. Also if not police they will need a policeman present in order to remove your possessions.

A fully detailed receipt will also have been given.

Hmmmm.

M.
    Why be awkward, when with a little bit of effort you can be really impossible!

Airguns taken

I am not at liberty to discuss someone else's situation but it is fact and I have purchased a few bits off this genuine guy

Quote Originally Posted by Midasi1 View Post
    Anyone in plain clothes if police will have a warrant card or if from some other governmental division an ID card. Also if not police they will need a policeman present in order to remove your possessions.

A fully detailed receipt will also have been given.

Hmmmm.

M.
    there was a firearms officer present and paper work left with seller for the air guns .

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    I am not at liberty to discuss someone else's situation but it is fact and I have purchased a few bits off this genuine guy
    Thank you for the back up on this post.Feel im getting slated for bring it up will keep stum in future

Quote Originally Posted by splosh! View Post
    Thank you for the back up on this post.Feel im getting slated for bring it up will keep stum in future
    Not slating you - just trying to establish some facts. So far it looks like a single person who you know as a personal friend, who was selling airguns at a fair, who had them seized and was given a receipt,all in the presence of a firearms officer.

If that's all you want to impart on a public forum,then that's fair enough. It's hardly a new nationwide police policy to clear up illegal firearm dealing though!

In South Africa an official police vehicle would turn up with a team all dressed in police uniform and police weapons, but all phoney, and drive off with your firearms. Just happened again at Johannesburg airport with currency theft. $15 million.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    In South Africa an official police vehicle would turn up with a team all dressed in police uniform and police weapons, but all phoney, and drive off with your firearms. Just happened again at Johannesburg airport with currency theft. $15 million.

Baz
    In ZA they might well actually be Police officers doing a bit of moonlighting! Would that surprise anyone with African experience???
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

What were the circumstances when this happened; Was the person concerned selling a quantity of post 1939 airguns from his own stall/table, or was he just selling one or two, and did he make a habit of it ?

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Danny

I'm led to believe that the unofficial figure given by the Home Office is 12 airguns sales per annum, before requiring an RFD license ?

All the best Mick
    Thanks, Mick. Very interesting. One a month, eh?

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Not slating you - just trying to establish some facts. So far it looks like a single person who you know as a personal friend, who was selling airguns at a fair, who had them seized and was given a receipt,all in the presence of a firearms officer.

If that's all you want to impart on a public forum,then that's fair enough. It's hardly a new nationwide police policy to clear up illegal firearm dealing though!
    I posted the comment to make other collector’s aware. never said it was the police clampdown it s the home office and not an isolated to just one person its happening at other big fairs I have told all i know . one of the guns was a gat gun, all of them legal and his own old guns .if i was at mavlen that day selling some bits i dont use any more i d be in the same boat thats why i posted to make people aware .post in collector’s corner thinking people are more grown up .

I'm not going to substantiate my posting by direct reference to any one else other than myself, but IMHO assertions referred to by the original poster could well be 100% correct.

I say this because in the not too distant past I've been involved with selling "Airguns at various Bisley Arms Fairs", and whilst doing so have been approached by individuals who've introduced themselves as Firearms Licensing Oficers (with identification to that effect) and have then requested visibility of RFD paperwork permitting sale of Airguns at that particular venue. Whilst in the first instance being naive as to prevailing legal requirements, I did have such paperwork (as my partner had informed me of the likelihood of such a visit and had provided it to me).

They were happy with this and had no further interest in my activities, but on the first occasion I queried them as to what was going on and they explained to me that recent changes in the Law meant that "common practice" of open selling of non FAC Airguns was subject to restrictions, and that on this occasion instances of non permitted sales would be dealt with by way of a warning and closure of the stall, whilst in the future confiscation and prosecution were likely for subsequent offences.

Subsequent to this, I've heard (but have no first hand experience myself) that stallholders at other events have had items confiscated as the FLO's/Enforcement Agencies) involved feel that enough time has gone by for all to understand the current legislation and it's restrictions regarding Airgun sales.

It's just my opinion but I'm convinced that "confiscation of an Airgun pending resolution of legal enquiries" is a situation that any of us could become involved in, even if the item has never been outside of its box (let alone having been outside of the house) and that sales at Arms Fairs etc is fraught with problems without a "Belt and Braces" approach to protecting your rights and property.

JMHO, Vic Thompson.