Thread: Really good AGW this month

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think the most poignant and thought provoking part of the new series on disabled shooters were the 10 challenges faced by disabled shooters and which able bodied shooters can take for granted. I'm sorry to say I did until I read through them. This series will prove to be a very useful guide I'm sure.

John M

As always a good read, only thing in my opinion detracts from the enjoyment is this relatively new phenomenon where in the hunting articles, the authors insist on stating "I was glad I'd made my first kill" , "it's great to get a kill", it would be so less provocative if it were termed I had got another for the pot etc. I know that it's pandering to the lentil munching libtards, but it makes a very different statement when they quote it in their propaganda.
    Release the bile now, I know this will get a few backs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    ?.. the authors insist on stating "I was glad I'd made my first kill" , "it's great to get a kill", it would be so less provocative if it were termed I had got another for the pot etc....
    Not many of us eat rat, crow or magpie. After all, it's a reading magazine, edited by Terry Doe, not 'Kill it,cook it, eat it', presented by Julia Bradbury

Thank you for the gift of laughter!

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    ... the authors insist on stating "I was glad I'd made my first kill" , "it's great to get a kill" ...
    Hello, MT, and thanks for the constructive criticism, we genuinely do value it.

I have to confess I can't recall those lines being quoted exactly as you've stated them, and 'it's great to get a kill' isn't normally the style of our hunting writers. We're more of a 'it's great to get the first one in the bag' sort of magazine, although it's entirely possible your quote is correct.

The main point is, Airgun World is fully aware of its responsibilities regarding the portrayal of our sport and we take those responsibilities seriously. However, there must be balance and it's also essential that we don't present as being ashamed of what we do. The fact that we enjoy using guns, let alone hunting with them, will always mark us as unacceptable in the eyes of some, and the only way to please such people would be to stop doing what we do.

I think we generally get the balance right, but we'll keep working at our representation and content, guided by the readership. Thanks again for your input, MT, and all the best.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

As far as Scubashot's observations go, you have to remember, like most theories given in Physics, that you need to preface the statement with the words "in a vacuum".
    It's often forgotten but almost always is a given in Physics to eliminate outside influences.

Chris

Shoot magazines

I subscribe to Readly the online magazine subscription, about 2000 titles and loads of back issues for £7.99 a month, download the app and try for two days for free. Then do two months for the price of one.
    I read
    Airgun Shooter,
    Airgunner,
    Airgun World,
    Gunnery,
    Shooting Sports,
    Rifle Shooter,
    All on Readly.
    Jez.