Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really good AGW this month

Really good AGW this month

AGW dropped through my door today.
    It's a good read again this month and is getting better again.
    I'm 53 and still enjoy it.
    The letters pages are great and I enjoy the hunting articles but what really took my eye this month is Jim's article about internet myths. These are things that are often just taken for granted but Jim puts them to rest. A few of them hit the spot with me and I'm sure they will with a few other experienced shooters.
    Also, there's a great article from "The gifted one" about the latest Daystate. Thanks TD, you put things very well into perspective.

Chris

just got mine its a good read

Ahhhhh.... I'm going to have to wait a week for mine ..
    Boo!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I have just subscribed and unsure when the magazine will arrive but they take my money on Monday.

Only managed a really quick flick through last night and, as always, excellent.

Can't wait to read Jim's articles.

And Terry testing a springer? Excellent! And with a follow up next month, too. Love it when he tests a springer, especially when it's a HW! And his usual, superb mix of test and technique pointers.

Lots more excellent stuff in there, too.

Well done TD and the team.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    I have just subscribed and unsure when the magazine will arrive but they take my money on Monday.
    Let me have your address, MD, and I'll post you the April issue.

All the best.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Thanks, everyone. Your kind words are much appreciated.

In related news, April's issue is a bit of a landmark one, in that it sees us bring in a disabled airgunner for his regular take on our sport as he experiences it, plus I reconnect with my love of springers after a shamefully long absence.

We also have a new designer on Airgun World and Air Gunner, and I'm really pleased with the changes.

Thanks again, chaps, and as always, if you have any constructive suggestions, or contributions of your own, I'm at the end of terry.doe@archant.co.uk

All the best.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Sounds like I might have to get my pennies out this month to look at Jim's article to see which myths are included. I wold say that 99% of what I have seen on YouTube contains errors, some serious, some not so serious. The internet forums as well are places where myths prosper and gain credulity.
    I also have to say that some of the myths are often to be found in the magazines as well. Among the ones I have seen are, that longer pellets take more side wind as there is more side area for the wind to blow on, pellets are drag stabilised, pellet A is more accurate than pellet B because it is more stable and, quite recently, that if you fire a pellet horrizontally and simultaneously drop one they will both hit the ground at the same time.
    Unfortunately myths are everywhere and are very difficult to displace once they have become established.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Thanks, everyone. Your kind words are much appreciated.

In related news, April's issue is a bit of a landmark one, in that it sees us bring in a disabled airgunner for his regular take on our sport as he experiences it, plus I reconnect with my love of springers after a shamefully long absence.

We also have a new designer on Airgun World and Air Gunner, and I'm really pleased with the changes.

Thanks again, chaps, and as always, if you have any constructive suggestions, or contributions of your own, I'm at the end of terry.doe@archant.co.uk

All the best.
    Well Terry, I am an avid reader of AG &AGW , and greatly enjoy there contents specialy Jim tylers articles
    and the hunting articles as well, overall these magazines have greatly improved over the past few years ,due to the
    attitude of listening to the readers views on content, long may this continue, and my thanks to all the editorial team and writers
    keep up the good work
    atb brian

I hadn't bought a dedicated airgun magazine for donkeys until about two years ago, when I felt the need to find out about all the fuss surrounding pcps.
    The first, as it happens, was AGW. Enjoyed 'reading' it ever since [see caveat below], along with other periodicals, notably AG and Gunmart.
    Consequently, off the back of AGW and other reviews I bought a 177 HW110. The ambi stock swung it. Being a southpaw there wasn't a lot of options with ambi sporter stocks. I'm very pleased with it on the whole, stupidly accurate and consistent at regular ranges but sadly very little soul or connection, unlike a springer or rammer.
    I do enjoy shooting it, when I can extend the target range out 40+ yards, where the the potential for more variables come into play, which required a greater application of marksmanship skills to achieve the same consistency. At sub 35 yards I tend to speed shoot single shots at multiple targets, just to add a bit of a challenge.
    I don't know if I'm alone in observing this, but one point I do find irritating about all magazines today is the practice of using colour pictures or backgrounds for editorial. Pictures should support the contents of the text, not obscure it or make it difficult to read.
    Please stop doing it!
    #justsaying

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Not bought it as yet, a Pleasure Deferred !
    “An airgun or two”………

I have subscribed again it's on good form at mo plenty for the springer brigade too .

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Let me have your address, MD, and I'll post you the April issue.

All the best.
    Thanks Terry, I will wait to see what happens next week and let you know.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lon'gun View Post
    I hadn't bought a dedicated airgun magazine for donkeys until about two years ago, when I felt the need to find out about all the fuss surrounding pcps.
    The first, as it happens, was AGW. Enjoyed 'reading' it ever since [see caveat below], along with other periodicals, notably AG and Gunmart.
    Consequently, off the back of AGW and other reviews I bought a 177 HW110. The ambi stock swung it. Being a southpaw there wasn't a lot of options with ambi sporter stocks. I'm very pleased with it on the whole, stupidly accurate and consistent at regular ranges but sadly very little soul or connection, unlike a springer or rammer.
    I do enjoy shooting it, when I can extend the target range out 40+ yards, where the the potential for more variables come into play, which required a greater application of marksmanship skills to achieve the same consistency. At sub 35 yards I tend to speed shoot single shots at multiple targets, just to add a bit of a challenge.
    I don't know if I'm alone in observing this, but one point I do find irritating about all magazines today is the practice of using colour pictures or backgrounds for editorial. Pictures should support the contents of the text, not obscure it or make it difficult to read.
    Please stop doing it!
    #justsaying
    I think, if you hunted with your 110, you would be thankful for it's boring accuracy.
    I agree though, if you're shooting targets, a springer is much more fun because of the variables.
    I regularly take my 97KT to the range because it's more of a challenge, but out on a rabbit or pigeon shoot I rely on my PCPs to deliver the accuracy I need for clean kills.

Chris

I think the most poignant and thought provoking part of the new series on disabled shooters were the 10 challenges faced by disabled shooters and which able bodied shooters can take for granted. I'm sorry to say I did until I read through them. This series will prove to be a very useful guide I'm sure.

John M