Thread: Mercury parts help please

Mercury parts help please

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where I can find a barrel axis bolt for my Mercury to replace the standard pin. I have tried looking at the obvious spares suppliers but no luck.

Also I plan to change the breach seal for a Weihrauch one but I read somewhere they need trimming anyone done this mod and can give me some advise please?

Cheers,

Johnj.
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You can use the one from the BSA Mercury-S but you will have to get an engineer to recess either side of the outer breech jaws to get it to fit. It is a bolt with a slotted nut.

Chambers lists it but it's out of stock at the moment. You can get them to notify you when it back in stock. Put an ad out for one, someone might have one. Knibbs might have one.

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24697/S/

I think people have used the one from a Haenal 303 before but I cannot vouch for this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnj View Post
    Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where I can find a barrel axis bolt for my Mercury to replace the standard pin. I have tried looking at the obvious spares suppliers but no luck.

Also I plan to change the breach seal for a Weihrauch one but I read somewhere they need trimming anyone done this mod and can give me some advise please?

Cheers,

Johnj.
    you can't replace the pin with the bolt from "s" models as it's a different diameter(smaller) You would have to have the breech jaws machined to take the bolt head & round nut & a bush made up to the diameter of your pin, hollow for the bolt to pass through.Do-able but a lot of hassle.If you have play in the breech jaws you can gently nip them up in a padded vice. also the hw seals are backed with a ptfe type plastic which is very hard to file down or cut to the correct depth.I tried this mod & gave up after ruining 2 hw seals & went back to the standard clear bsa seal.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    you can't replace the pin with the bolt from "s" models as it's a different diameter(smaller) You would have to have the breech jaws machined to take the bolt head & round nut & a bush made up to the diameter of your pin, hollow for the bolt to pass through.Do-able but a lot of hassle.If you have play in the breech jaws you can gently nip them up in a padded vice. also the hw seals are backed with a ptfe type plastic which is very hard to file down or cut to the correct depth.I tried this mod & gave up after ruining 2 hw seals & went back to the standard clear bsa seal.
    PTFE is very easy to cut, you must mean polyurehane as I see most are made from this material now. Polyurethane ones I make on a lathe and part off with a surgical scalpel. Some BSA breach seals I replace with Nitrile or Polyurethane O rings. I just did a .177 Scorpion pistol using two O rings glued on top of each other to get the correct thickness.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    PTFE is very easy to cut, you must mean polyurehane as I see most are made from this material now. Polyurethane ones I make on a lathe and part off with a surgical scalpel. Some BSA breach seals I replace with Nitrile or Polyurethane O rings. I just did a .177 Scorpion pistol using two O rings glued on top of each other to get the correct thickness.

Baz
    Sorry i'm not a plastics expert but whatever it is it resists filing , sanding & the seal is too small to be held easily to grind down the back! i've used the o ring trick too glued in with a hot glue gun works a treat.

Thanks for the replies guys,

When I did a search there was lots of posts on various forums saying that the pin to bolt replacement was a common trick as was the HW breach seal but very vague on details so glad I asked here to get more clarity on it.

Cheers johnj.
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

Quote Originally Posted by johnj View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys,

When I did a search there was lots of posts on various forums saying that the pin to bolt replacement was a common trick as was the HW breach seal but very vague on details so glad I asked here to get more clarity on it.

Cheers johnj.
    Well i have actually tried both these mods for size so take your pick on who to belive. I borrowed a spare.22 standard mercury barrel from a freind to try on my 635 .25 mercury, which has the same hinge bolt as the s models & went through 2 hw seals trying to get the right fit on my mercury challenger, before reverting to the bsa clear seal. The hw seals are better quality but if you don't take enough material off the back they stick out too much & when you close the breech it cuts them resulting in low inconsistant power.

mercury

Cut down a 7mm drill, shank sand to the right length, job done.
    [url]www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Thanks sniperphil,
    But I'm not looking for just a pin but had heard converting to the later style bolt helps to keep the accuracy constant.
    Some good info tho.
    Cheers,
    Johnj.