Thread: Usability and maintainability...

Usability and maintainability...

Prompted by another thread, my curiosity is now piqued about old bell target guns.

I guess the original piston washers on the BSA standard, light and other vintage models were leather.

Do current users have a modern synthetic alternative or is leather preferred?

Are springs available for vintage guns still?

Do they suffer from worn taps and if so are there fixes?

I'm seriously considering getting one but want to go into it with eyes open

Leather is an old fashioned sealing material but a lot of guys like to use it still to keep their classic air rifles in an original setup. Polyurethane is a far better material for breach and piston seals and normally puts the power output up due to better sealing and less friction. The old BSA and Webley flat cross section springs are very effective and give good performance. They are still available but you pay a little more for them.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

My 1923 BSA CS has had a new leather seal, should be good for 10 years +!!!!
    The spring was a replacement, no idea off what, it just fitted and I used it.
    No problem with the tap, took it out and put some moly on.
    It's had a new repro fore sight.
    The breach /tap section came loose a month or so ago. Decreased and re-loctite with some good modern stuff, it's good to go.

I saw that comment about maintainable, and laughed!!! These are engineered even before the good old days, and were designed to be fixed!

Use and enjoy :-)
    Thanks - Geoff.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Prompted by another thread, my curiosity is now piqued about old bell target guns.

I guess the original piston washers on the BSA standard, light and other vintage models were leather.

Do current users have a modern synthetic alternative or is leather preferred?

Are springs available for vintage guns still?

Do they suffer from worn taps and if so are there fixes?

I'm seriously considering getting one but want to go into it with eyes open
    Just buy from a reputable seller / take someone who is familiar. A quick look inside is a must unless the seller can guarantee all is well as these guns can feel smooth and quiet yet function with severe damage due to the weight of the piston, ie. heavy scoring etc.

A chrono test and accuracy test are also a must if you want to use it...With all of these being between 78 and 112 years old it is a lottery how they have been treated and so if you want to see what one can really do just take a few precautions.

Despite the above, both of the best rifles I have in accuracy terms were bought "blind" as I took a gamble based on the un-molested look of the gun, and hoped this meant little wear (this does not always work!).

Keep the leather washer set up (IMHO), It will last a generation once bedded, the transfer ports are large on these and synthectic seals can be slammy to shoot I have found in my persona
    l experiments.

springs etc. are available, lots on here regarding different types and also on the vintage BSA forum.

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Just buy from a reputable seller / take someone who is familiar. A quick look inside is a must unless the seller can guarantee all is well as these guns can feel smooth and quiet yet function with severe damage due to the weight of the piston, ie. heavy scoring etc.

A chrono test and accuracy test are also a must if you want to use it...With all of these being between 78 and 112 years old it is a lottery how they have been treated and so if you want to see what one can really do just take a few precautions.

Despite the above, both of the best rifles I have in accuracy terms were bought "blind" as I took a gamble based on the un-molested look of the gun, and hoped this meant little wear (this does not always work!).

Keep the leather washer set up (IMHO), It will last a generation once bedded, the transfer ports are large on these and synthectic seals can be slammy to shoot I have found in my persona
    l experiments.

springs etc. are available, lots on here regarding different types and also on the vintage BSA forum.

ATB, Ed
    Great, thanks Ed. I appreciate the good advice.

It's a long time since I had a rifle with a leather washer, I recall they used to be soaked in oil, or is my memory playing tricks?

I've spent the last hour looking around and the prices seem fairly high. I'll keep an eye out to see what crops up.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Great, thanks Ed. I appreciate the good advice.

It's a long time since I had a rifle with a leather washer, I recall they used to be soaked in oil, or is my memory playing tricks?

I've spent the last hour looking around and the prices seem fairly high. I'll keep an eye out to see what crops up.

P.M. sent regarding sources

ATB, ED

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    If well maintained, leather should last almost indefinitely. It only knackerifies if you allow it to dry out or put some low flash-point shite in it or dry-fire the gun alot.

There is nothing like the smell of a leather-washered springer when it is 'on-song'. Delicious.

Synthetics can turn to cheese and are not very forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

l experiments.

ATB, Ed
    Hi Ed, wonder if you could let me know where you got your polyurethane seals that you tried.I have to make mine on the lathe and it is time consuming as I custom fit each one. I work on a few rifles each week, just done a little Cadet for a chap it shoots great. I don't get any slamming problem as I make parachute seals similar to Weihrauch. Do you have a comparison list of modern seals that can fit British pre-war rifles ?

Thanks, Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I can attest to leather seals. I have been acquiring several 1930's Haenel 28-R. Their leather seals after all that time are still fine.