Thread: BSA Challenger / Mercury query

BSA Challenger / Mercury query

I saw a s/h rifle in MFC in Hailsham
    Marked up Mercury but has bolt not pin pivot. s/n WC06638

It says Mercury on rifle, but I thought only Challengers had the pivot bolt, I had a god look it's definitely a factory fitted bolt. Stock is a bit tatty, action is nice enough, is it worth £220 ? It is in 177 too -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post

It says Mercury on rifle, but I thought only Challengers had the pivot bolt, I had a god look it's definitely a factory fitted bolt. Stock is a bit tatty, action is nice enough, is it worth £220 ? It is in 177 too -
    The MK3, MK4 and S Mercury had a cross bolt instead of a pin.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 14-03-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Mercury

As Mick says, the last mk's of the Mercury had the bolt rather than the pivot pin

They also have a nicely shaped stock, chequered pistol grip with a well defined cheek piece and are a nice rifle to own and shoot

These late Mercurys are close to Challenger spec but have a slimmer barrel and have the scope dovetail cut into the cylinder rather than a raised rail that keys into the top of the cylinder.

I own one in .177 and accuracy is excellent Power nudges 10 ft lbs with lightweight 7 grain pellets, a bit less with pellets like the AA Field and similar JSBs

I bought mine at the Melbourne fayre for arround £150 about 2 years ago and it is unmarked. So I think £220 is a bit steep really
    If the rifle was as-new ie mint, then £200 or a bit more would be a fair price, but not in the condition you describe

John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 14-03-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post

You can tell a Mercury Challenger apart from all other Mercury's as the Challenger is the only Mercury to be fitted with the raised Maxigrip scope rail.
    Apart from the rail the Challenger also had a nice Beech stock with a pronounced cheek piece and extended forend. the stock was chequered at the pistol grip only and it was cut, not pressed in.
    The Challenger had metal sights and a bolt at the breech instead of a pin.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    What you've seen is a mk3 Merc, I wouldn't say it was worth £220 that's almost pristine boxed "S" money.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

they are a bit harded to come by over here

i paid $300 US for my mercury challenger and as said they did come with a very nice stock!!! i still think mine is walnut as i have never seen beech look this good? and as to what the one your after is worth. it is worth what you will pay for it.
    Aint no fun when the rabbits got the gun

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie350 View Post
    i paid $300 US for my mercury challenger and as said they did come with a very nice stock!!! i still think mine is walnut as i have never seen beech look this good? and as to what the one your after is worth. it is worth what you will pay for it.
    Very true words, if you want something that bad then you will pay the price asked for, it would be nice to see some photo's of your Challenger please as if it is Walnut then that would be a very interesting rifle as BSA offered models to the US market that the UK market never saw mainly the Airsporter crown grade that had a laminate stock, I never knew of one before until I was perusing the internet many years ago and saw it mentioned on a US website.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in