Thread: Was looking for a regular Handel 28 to round out my collection but:

Was looking for a regular Handel 28 to round out my collection but:

Ran across yet another Haenel 28-R! That makes three in less than 6 months, which makes you wonder how rare these really are in the US? I wonder if in the late 30's these were imported in pretty good numbers to the US as suppliers could maybe see German imports might be tuffer to get?

I haven't seen a regular 28 that wasn't just beat. It seems the repeaters are often used less, I think maybe cause they are very ammo specific. Someone put the wrong pellet in and gets a jam and just throws it in a desk?

I now have two in .177 and one in .22. I have been working with them enough now to be able to tell you the pellets that will work. I have researched a lot online and have bought a lot of pellets. There is no design flaw, when these were designed in the late 1920's, pellets were just not as long. Here is what will work:

The .177, I think the best pellet is the H&N round ball that is 4.55mm. They also make a 4.5mm ball but it can roll out and does not seal as well. My .177 will approach 300 FPS, with the 4.55 balls. Gamos round balls will roll out the barrel. The Crosman Competition wadcutters will also work well, and will go over 300 FPS. These two pellets will work flawlessly. My first choice would be the H&N 4.55 balls.

The .22 is tuffer. Gamo is your only choice in .22 round balls, and they are a loose fit, but you can make them work. Coating with beeswax does seem to make them work and seal pretty well. The only modern pellet I found that worked was the JSB Match wadcutters. These did work quite well. Expect mid 200 FPS with the JSBs and around 200 with beeswaxed Gamos, well below 200 with straight Gamos.

If given a choice I would always buy this gun in .177, I just don't think it's has the power to be a real effective .22?

I can see myself centering my collection around these pistols. I got a late start to collecting and can't own everything. These are so well made they just don't seem to wear out. They are also very easy to work on for a novice.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...pstsgsispa.jpg
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-03-2017 at 12:30 PM.

You may have got a late start in collecting, but you certainly have found a 'sweet spot' with those 28R Haenels. A niced boxed example with pellets and accessories must be just around the corner for you.

Great work on the pellet and ball choice for those that like to shoot these lovely old classics

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    l missed out on a boxed 28R on gunbroker in the USA a few years ago because the seller would not post to the UK. so you are in a prime location.
    and many thanks for the pellet tests that you have done.

Mick.

In the 1930s there was a major high end gun importer in New York City the Stoeger Company. They had exclusive rights to import the Luger and had their names put on what are now "Stoeger" Lugers. I have seen their name on Tell 2 air pistols. Their catalog was extensive. Would not surprise me that they imported Haenel's and at the time the Haenel 28-R would have probably been "the" high end German air pistol which looked like a Luger. The world was still in a economic depression, but I can see Stoeger having good access to the wealthier end of the US market. I have been approached by a German collector wanting to buy a 28-R, he says they are very rare in Germany? But what do I know?
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-03-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    In the 1930s there was a major high end gun importer in New York City the Stoeger Company. They had exclusive rights to import the Luger and had their names put on what are now "Stoeger" Lugers. I have seen their name on Tell 2 air pistols. Their catalog was extensive. Would not surprise me that they imported Haenel's and at the time the Haenel 28-R would have probably been "the" high end German air pistol which looked like a Luger. The world was still in a economic depression, but I can see Stoeger having good access to the wealthier end of the US market. I have been approached by a German collector wanting to buy a 28-R, he says they are very rare in Germany? But what do I know?
    Hi,

You are probably already aware that Stoeger also imported Stoeger trade marked Webley air pistols to the USA for a long period, with those finding their way back to the UK being keenly sought by collectors not least for the lovely wood grips fitted in place of the synthetic ones found on UK examples.

Nice Haenal 28s are readily available in the UK with 28-Rs being much less so. Have you ever considered acquiring a Schimel for something different in a Luger themed collection ?

Regards

Brian

Seems as if Stoeger had stopped selling the repeater version of the Haenel 28 by 1939. I've posted scans of their catalogue here.

If anyone's confused, the Stoeger 3104-05 is the Diana 45 (late '20s/early '30s version) and the 3106-07 is the Diana 58 (2nd series).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Steve,
    The Stoeger 1939 catalog includes a great array of airguns including products from Haenel, Diana, Webley as well as U.S. makers. This was likely the zenith of Stoeger's airgun selection. The whole catalog is readily available on the 'bay, and there's even a specialized repro of its airgun section offered there by Cornell Publications. Warning: If you see their layout, it may possibly inspire a quest for the elusive Brown pistol !

Oops, too late - a link has already been provided by the gracious Garvin while I was typing

Don R.

All new to me, I have seen Stoeger catalogs for sale on The bay but never really could see paying the money. I really have had no interest in the Schimel, it's CO2 and die cast, just rather stay with blued steel spring guns. I can't remember where it was but I saw a US advertisement for Haenel's that include the repeater. (I think this was a Hudson Sporting Goods advertisement) Got to go looking. And yes I am all to aware of the unobtainable Brown!
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-03-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Found it, 1934 Hudson Sporting Goods catalog:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...pskqapnn4s.jpg

Maybe it was Hudsons that brought them over, or probably both.

The Repeater was a ton more than the 28, and this would be in the depth of the depression, what was the price of a Webley in 1934, in $? There's some British trivia!
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-03-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Bit off topic, but given your liking of the 28, have you considered getting a Hy-Score?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Bit off topic, but given your liking of the 28, have you considered getting a Hy-Score?
    Yes I have three of them, to me they are the American extension of the Haenel. Two are almost as new, a 800 and just got a repeater. That repeating mechanism is more fascinating than I thought it would be.