Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosmsn 2240 tune for more shot count

Crosmsn 2240 tune for more shot count

Hi all just a quick question? has anyone ever tuning one of these Pistols for more shot per C02 bulb I'm quite happy with the power output. As pistol will be for my son just would like to maximize shot count as the price of co2 quickly adds up

You can fit a power adjuster at the rear of the pistol.
    This changes the tension on the hammer spring.

Have a look at GMac Crosman site and/or talk to them.

And buy your co2 in bulk from our sponsor JS Ramsbottom.
    Most shops charge silly money.

Hi tanks for the reply I was thinking of the evilbay for the C02 as for the tune I was thinking less spring tension/compression more flowing may be a light hammer if thing start to creep

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by picto007 View Post
    ....would like to maximize shot count as the price of co2 quickly adds up
    If at a penny a shot, Co2 costs are an issue - I'd suggest buying an HW40 instead

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    As well as either replacing the hammer spring or adjusting its preload, you can also change the spring in the valve for a slightly more powerful one.

As a rule, the hammer spring should be just strong enough for the trigger to 'set' halfway through the cocking motion. So, without fully cocking it, you should be able to pull the trigger and hear a tiny little click as it releases the hammer under tension.

If you open the valve up (a collett is recommended for this so you don't damage it in the vice), you can either change the spring for a stronger one, or add some preload to the existing spring. If you wanted further efficiency, you could possibly fill part of the transfer area with some sort of plastic filler, but I would be inclined to see how you get on adjusting the spring first.

Bear in mind that because the bulb is pierced by actually firing the pistol, rather than the capsule being pierced by the action of screwing the cap on (a la QB78), there is a minimum strength that you can have the hammer/valve springs set up to.
    However by balancing the power of the two springs you should eliminate most of the 'hammer bounce' - most notable for the farting sound it can make - which is where a lot of gas gets wasted.
    Another thing to take into account is that how it sounds when you fire it without gas is not how it will behave under pressure, so just because the hammer buzzes when you dry fire doesn't necessarily mean that the hammer will be bouncing when it is full of gas.

You will have to waste a few capsules, and tear down and reassemble a few times, before you get it spot on.

If you have any more questions or run into problems, by all means ask away.
    Good deals with these members

Thank for all the info I was think about modifying the probe ,opening up the transfer port, angling the transfer port ,replacing the cylinder to barrel seal with some air line, polishing the inside of vale and angling the vale pin and then lighting the hammer and leaving all the spring stande .The lighter hammer bringing it all back in line 6ftld and with the lighter hammer improve the firing lock time what all think or its to much watch work for little improvements to shot count

Quote Originally Posted by picto007 View Post
    Thank for all the info I was think about modifying the probe ,opening up the transfer port, angling the transfer port ,replacing the cylinder to barrel seal with some air line, polishing the inside of vale and angling the vale pin and then lighting the hammer and leaving all the spring stande .The lighter hammer bringing it all back in line 6ftld and with the lighter hammer improve the firing lock time what all think or its to much watch work for little improvements to shot count
    Maybe be careful with opening up the transfer port, as it's not that hard to get these going above 6 ft/lb in .22 caliber. Those are more things I would do with a stock 2250 to squeeze a bit more power out of it.

Bear in mind the more volume you create inside the valve, the more gas it will use. The internal volume and the valve return spring are the main factors controlling efficiency and gas use. Adjusting the hammer spring on its own will change power, but will not necessarily give you more shots per fill.
    Also a lighter hammer spring will give you a slightly longer lock time.

The 2240 I have just finished modding is getting 35 to 40 (I haven't shot it to empty yet so it may well get a few more) 5.01ft/lb shots from a cartridge, in .177 caliber.
    I was going for a good compromise between efficiency and power.
    That has the springs set up like I outlined above, with a wider transfer port (because .177 is less efficient I wasn't worried about it going over) and balanced valve and hammer springs. It also has a steel breech with a hollow probe, which further increases efficiency, but the cost of this part would buy quite a few CO2 capsules!

Thank for the help I will the transfer port at original size and just try remove as much of to 90 degree bend I'm only going to polish the in size of the vale and not increase the volume as though they pistol use the C02 bulb as a mini buddy bottle like a non regulated PCP.
    PS that's good work for 35/40 shot for a 177 as they quite a gas guzzler

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    ally hammer. Will reduce power and reduce bounce, which is wasted gas.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thats what I thought I was thinking maybe a empty modified co2 bulb with a nylon insert or nylon hammer with steel Stryker face .It sounds like I going to be busy lol

"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Do you remember the lock deicer, its a little box that held 2 AA battery's with a slide switch and thin metal strip that extended when you moved the switch forward, when extended the strip got warm, I was thinking of securing this strip to the co2 bulb and have a pressure switch on the grip so when you pick up the pistol the strip starts warming the co2 bulb. I told Nick of magic 9 designs about this and he said it would be better to fit the strip to the reg, this will increase power slightly, reduce inconsistency and 'snow blowing' as the co2 bulb freezes during fast fire. (I was thinking of my Smith & Wesson for this mod, but the problem of where to put the battery stopped me)
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sclie...imgrc=_&spf=24
    Last edited by airgunnut; 16-03-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Hi yes I was thinking of this when a had qb and was shoot in winter but I decided to bulk fill from a paint ball tank a adjusted the power to my needs but on this build power not the goal but more shots with minimum expenses
    Thanks for input

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Do you remember the lock deicer, its a little box that held 2 AA battery's with a slide switch and thin metal strip that extended when you moved the switch forward, when extended the strip got warm, I was thinking of securing this strip to the co2 bulb and have a pressure switch on the grip so when you pick up the pistol the strip starts warming the co2 bulb. I told Nick of magic 9 designs about this and he said it would be better to fit the strip to the reg, this will increase power slightly, reduce inconsistency and 'snow blowing' as the co2 bulb freezes during fast fire. (I was thinking of my Smith & Wesson for this mod, but the problem of where to put the battery stopped me)
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sclie...imgrc=_&spf=24
    I was toying with the idea of something like this for my QB78 or 2250, but with a very small thermostat to keep the tube at room temperature.

A year ago Bob Sterne initiated a challenge on the GTA forum, to see how many shots one might get from a single CO2 bulb with a stock 2240 - with one change, the addition of an SSG. The Stopped Spring Guide, or SSG, has provided many airgunners with incredible improvements in shot to shot consistency in unregulated airguns as well as higher shot counts. As it turned out only one modder took Bob up on the challenge. His results:
    http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/...7972#msg997972
    That's 99 shots at over 300fps in .22" using 14.3gr pellets. 90 shots over 4fpe. An amazing result, using relatively simple parts and skills.

The SSG has been amazingly for my own airguns. Efficiency in my QB78D increased dramatically, which was a relief, as with its 13.4" barrel I was having trouble finding a quiet report and higher shot count while preserving shot to shot consistency. In my 2260 it's been ridiculously successful, delivering 20 shots per fill to 1,100psi at 670fps with 13.43gr JSB pellets, and only a 2% ES. I used an SSG in my Brocock Atomic carbine but have more recently moved on to a TSS, or twin spring system, as it's more compact and in that case slightly more consistent, delivering a 1.5% extreme spread. I even put an SSG in my son's 2240 carbine, though there's a Lane regulator inside the HiPAC - the SSG improved even further on efficiency over what the regulator was giving so his shot count is great.