Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What rifle am I after? And does such beast exist?

What rifle am I after? And does such beast exist?

Hello all,
    I have a hankering for a low powered rifle which can have a dioptre rear sight fitted or comes with one already in place. I would like it to be simple to service and maintain so was thinking of a break barrel with no complicated piston arrangement. I would like decent trigger too.
    The simple solution would be an HW30S which I am not averse but what classic alternatives can you guys suggest.
    Oh yes one other thing it should be available for a small/reasonable price. Say circa £100
    Cheers
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

you cant buy a bag of chips for £100 now days

Diana Mod 240
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    you cant buy a bag of chips for £100 now days
    Cripes, how much is a piece of cod then? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hello all,
    I have a hankering for a low powered rifle which can have a dioptre rear sight fitted or comes with one already in place. I would like it to be simple to service and maintain so was thinking of a break barrel with no complicated piston arrangement. I would like decent trigger too.
    The simple solution would be an HW30S which I am not averse but what classic alternatives can you guys suggest.
    Oh yes one other thing it should be available for a small/reasonable price. Say circa £100
    Cheers
    Rich
    HW35e. Sublime. Hunt for a good one. I have a v-glided 35e in .22, and often shoot it with a Williams peep sight. It is one of my favourite rifles. If you hunt you will find a good one, but I fear your £100 limit maybe closer to Cod than shooting God.
    https://www.walnut.black

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hello all,
    Cheers
    Rich
    With some luck you can find a Walther LG55 complete with the diopter on Egun, other then that I cant think off one.
    But a good diopter could be half of your price mentioned, so you are searching for a £50 competition rifle with a match trigger?
    Think that will be far fetched, don't you think?

----------------------
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    With some luck you can find a Walther LG55 complete with the diopter on Egun, other then that I cant think off one.
    But a good diopter could be half of your price mentioned, so you are searching for a £50 competition rifle with a match trigger?
    Think that will be far fetched, don't you think?

----------------------
    Frank
    Hi Frank,
    I am not expecting match level trigger or accuracy or top notch sights. I can pick up a cheap dioptre for £20-25 on top of the rifle budget which isn't set in stone, and of course buying preloved will get more bang for my buck.
    What I am looking for are more left field suggestions and I certainly don't expect an FWB300 for cod and chips money. The diana 240 suggested is a good example.
    Cheers
    Rich

I have just had in three of these Marksman MODEL 1790 Biathlon Trainer, one of which I had to rebuild. These are very cheap rifles but quite accurate at short range, suitable for young people as very easy to cock and load. If you are interested I can contact my friend who owns them for price. Think they will be below the £100 easily.

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

"Original" German Diana 25 or 27. Preferably the 25D, 25DS, or 27S.

You could also consider Slavias or Haenels.

A 1985 HW30. Rekord trigger pre safety. This exact rifle http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=36 was recently used in our club 'HW30 Fun Compt Day' and won (not by me I hasten to add. I was 3rd.)

Classic AND accurate.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Maybe keep an eye out for a Haenel 303 Super
    I picked up mine for £75 with complete diopter set. It just needed a new piston seal.

Break barrel and very easy to work on. Shoots at about 6 ft-lb and very accurate at the ranges I've used it

Some cracking suggestions coming through. Thanks and please keep them coming. I wouldn't be averse to sidelever or underlever springer or an ssp for that matter.
    Cheers

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You want to get a Slavia 631 and get a secondhand dioptre for it.

Most - probably all - of the best choices are here already. HW30S top, closely followed by various Dianas, Haenel and Slavia. Walther LG55 is out of your price range.

As far as fixed-barrel guns, in the 9-10 ft/lbs range in .177" you could consider the Webley Osprey/Viscount (though they tend not to shoot very well) or the less-sought after 1970s versions of the "Original" Diana 50 (or, in a break-barrel, their model 35 of similar vintage). The Hammerli 400-series sidelever is, I think, out of your price range too.

Quite telling that no-one has suggested much from Webley or BSA. But I suppose you could do worse than a Meteor or Mercury.

I have just been googling the suggestions and the Haenal 303 super is just what I had in my minds eye. What is the going rate for useable one of these? (I don't want a minter, I want one to use).
    Cheers