Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What rifle am I after? And does such beast exist?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I have just been googling the suggestions and the Haenal 303 super is just what I had in my minds eye. What is the going rate for useable one of these? (I don't want a minter, I want one to use).
    Cheers
    They are quite rare, so that might add a bit more to your budget, maybe £120? East German Communist recoiling break-barrel target rifles were not that popular in Cold War Britain, in effect you'd have been paying for the bombs aimed at your town.

If you add £50 to your budget could possibly get a resprung Original Diana 66 which is altogether a superior tool, produced by the miracle that is Capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    They are quite rare, so that might add a bit more to your budget, maybe £120? East German Communist recoiling break-barrel target rifles were not that popular in Cold War Britain, in effect you'd have been paying for the bombs aimed at your town.

If you add £50 to your budget could possibly get a resprung Original Diana 66 which is altogether a superior tool, produced by the miracle that is Capitalism.
    Would I be better off looking to buy from Germany? Is it egun that is their second hand sales site?
    Cheers
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I have just been googling the suggestions and the Haenal 303 super is just what I had in my minds eye. What is the going rate for useable one of these? (I don't want a minter, I want one to use).
    Cheers
    Don't know but I will have a Haenel 302 amongst my pile at Kempton Park for about £50.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Don't know but I will have a Haenel 302 amongst my pile at Kempton Park for about £50.

Baz
    I will definitely take a look at your stall then. And I apologise in advance if I press you for cold bluing tips

Following on from some of the other suggestions. These are all rifles I own that might be relevant:

- Diana 66 - Fantastic shooting gun. I shoot this at bell target and it is more accurate than I will ever be. The recoiless action is (in my opinion) superior to the sledge type systems (I also own a FWB 300). However for general plinking it is a bit clinical due to the lack of recoil and feeling. I never really shoot it at home.
    (The Diana 65 could be found cheaper and is almost identical)

- Haenel 303 Super - Recoiling gun that I find very fun to shoot. Mine had loads of muzzle flip which I cured by taping a roll of 2p's near the front of the barrel. A barrel weight would do the same job and look a bit nicer! Very very easy to work on, but the trigger is still adjustable and actually quite nice

- Original 50 - I have two and will be selling both as I never use them any more. The under lever is very short which makes cocking a bit of a chore, so not much good for long sessions. However they really look the business! Like a military trainer rifle and feel really nice to hold. Some versions come with diopters as standard. However sights can be added to any version as they all have the scope rail

- Anshuntz 335 target - Possibly my favourite plinker. Came with diopters and set at 6 ft-lb. Recoiling but really lovely to shoot and very easy to cock. Accuracy well beyond my skill. To be honest probably out of your price range though

- BSA meteor - Can't fit the front globe sight. Otherwise a nice plinker and loads about for under £100. Also easy to work on. The cocking levers tend to make a bit of a 'clack' due to the way they are designed which gives the feeling of it not being well made. But some well placed electrical tape sorts it easy enough

Cheers

There's a 303 (not Super?) in sales, in .22" for an asking price of £80.

How about a ministry of defense contract Bsa Meteor Cadet - classic rifle comes with a peep sight already - great bit of cold war history ! Plenty about for sub £100
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    How about a ministry of defense contract Bsa Meteor Cadet - classic rifle comes with a peep sight already - great bit of cold war history ! Plenty about for sub £100
    Surprisingly accurate and powerful for a light rifle ... the peep-sight is very nice for a basic unit ... and you can get reduced size Figure 11 targets off the auction site ... you know the 'Charging Ivan'. I think he's holding an SKS rifle so he could actually be any kind of Commie.

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.1557...0,075,f.u5.jpg

A slavia 634 looks like it would fit the bill, but where to get one from? And how much are they?
    Rich

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Quite telling that no-one has suggested much from Webley or BSA. But I suppose you could do worse than a Meteor or Mercury.
    I think I can explain that:
    I would like decent trigger too.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I think I can explain that:

I was trying to make that point subtly.

That said, there are good triggers on the Omega, Eclipse, Tomahawk and Longbow. And I have a Birmingham Supersport that has a very nice trigger on it - I suspect the result of a previous owner's fettling.