Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An interesting old set of mounts

An interesting old set of mounts

Just picked up an interesting old set of scope mounts. All steel and when I received them, they are 13mm dovetails, so handy for a BSA / early Weihrauch

https://imgur.com/reV4VxI

Thoughts anyone?

When you said steel, I thought maybe Hilver (from Australia, although I've had some stamped HILVER and boxed by Tasco)... but yours don't look much like them.

"Under seeable"?? Is that even a proper thing?

Poo, I've got to eat my words, they're not steel, standard ali'. However, I've got them lined up for either an old BSA Airsporter or an HW35.

I almost bid on those at weekend

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I almost bid on those at weekend
    Yeh, the description left it a bit of a gamble. I was just hoping they were 13mm, which they were.

I have a simular set i had on a scope i bought.

I have a pair of heavy steel sight mounts that I suspect are quite old.

They are to fit a 25mm scope tube and will fit 13mm OK.

The lower half of the mounts are machined from solid and have a machined slit with a large knurled thumb screw to tighten it up with (also has a screw driver slot across the head).

The top half of these steel mounts drop on over the scope and are clamped together by recessed cap head screws.

These mounts are half an inch thick and had a blued finish. The rear mount has a recoil screw in it.

My guess is that these are very old mounts and I wonder what they were made to fit as they are very heavy compared to alloy mounts - does anybody have any ideas about their use or origin?
    Last edited by zooma; 01-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I have a pair of heavy steel sight mounts that I suspect are quite old.

They are to fit a 25mm scope tube and will fit 13mm OK.

The lower half of the mounts are machined from solid and have a machined slit with a large knurled thumb screw to tighten it up with (also has a screw driver slot across the head).

The top half of these steel mounts drop on over the scope and are clamped together by recessed cap head screws.

These mounts are half an inch thick and had a blued finish. The rear mount has a recoil screw in it.

My guess is that these are very old mounts and I wonder what they were made to fit as they are very heavy compared to alloy mounts - does anybody have any ideas about their use or origin?

Could be old Parker-Hale.....
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Could be old Parker-Hale.....
    They certainly are old and heavy - maybe they were intended for heavy duty use on a centre-fire rifle?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Sorry to be a party-pooper, but the BSA 'Incredibly Annoying' scope rails are 13.8mm or 14mm on the MaxiGrip springers and then on the PCPs, while the older Mk 2 BSA Airsporters are something like 15mm, as are the BSA MEteor Mk 1s.

None of them are 13mm.

Weihrauchs from the early 70s are, but you will need an arrestor block with those type of mounts to stop them shuffling off the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Sorry to be a party-pooper, but the BSA 'Incredibly Annoying' scope rails are 13.8mm or 14mm on the MaxiGrip springers and then on the PCPs, while the older Mk 2 BSA Airsporters are something like 15mm, as are the BSA MEteor Mk 1s.

None of them are 13mm.

Weihrauchs from the early 70s are, but you will need an arrestor block with those type of mounts to stop them shuffling off the rails.
    I know what you mean!

It took me a couple of years to find a set of mounts that would accurately fit the scope rails on my Airsporter mk2 - in the end I had to splash-out and buy an expensive pair that were designed for a centre fire rifle!

I wish I had just done this in the first place as before I bought them I had taken advice and bought several different mounts (online) that were all suggested by others as working on a mk2 Airsporter - but none of them did - and they are still new and unused and out back in their packaging!

If you have a use for these steel mounts you can have them foc when you are up this way.
    Last edited by zooma; 05-03-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Just picked up an interesting old set of scope mounts. All steel and when I received them, they are 13mm dovetails, so handy for a BSA / early Weihrauch

https://imgur.com/reV4VxI

Thoughts anyone?
    They are not all that unusual, similar to see-through mounts we used on hunting rifles overseas so that you can use open sights as an option to the scope that is fitted. Very handy when pig hunting and you get a sudden close range encounter.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thumbs up

Hi

I found these mounts on fleabay that solved the rubbish 14mm maxigrip rail problem, They were made in the land down under, I then was offered a set in black on here so I snatched them up as they will most likely fit many odd sizes and can be centralised for the offset..

It's a shame that they're single screw mounts but they seemed to have stayed in place well with no creep

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Very nice John. Did they have a Brand name?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Very nice John. Did they have a Brand name?

Hi CB

This was the pack they came in..

And the fitting instructions on the back.

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/