Thread: Hw 100 zero shift ..

Hw 100 zero shift ..

A few weeks ago I mapped my scope out to 60 yards and must of shot a full tin of pellets through it
    and was pleased with the results. The scope I use is a Nikko target master and scope with adjustable
    and resetable turrets on this day I set the zero to 35 yards and turrets to zero so far so good ....
    it was a cold day ...

A week later on a warmer day I checked the zero and the zero had moved so I reset the zero but didn't re set the turrets deliberately.

Every subsequent week I had to reset the zero to a point that the top, right turret was half a turn out !!!!

I went out last night and the zero ended up back to what it was originally it was a very mild night.
    checked the zero half way through the session and the zero had shifted!

The barel is free floating and I have a one piece mount this is a regular thing and I have had it to Hull cartridge twice
    for this reason they did tests on it and found nothing wrong with it !!!!! they gave me back a crono results with pellet on
    pellet and stunning crono results...

Is this only my rifle or is there anymore out there that does not keep the zero ?

I might add when its on zero the accuracy out to 35 yards is pellet on pellet ..

If it changes velocity with temperature and the zero moves in a vertical direction then it probably needs a stripdown and degrease for starters and check that the barrel retaining screw in the action is tight. The action is a fabricated item and some say it moves around so they use a one piece scope mount to hold it all together but you have one anyway.
    There are lots of guides on you tube on stripping them down. If you have a spare scope then try that on the gun to see if that loses zero as well so you can check that it's not a scope problem.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

It has had various scopes on, I dumped a scope before today thinking it was the scope ...

Blimey, lucky man, just noticed you live in the epicentre of Weihrauch world, Hull cartridge should know what the problem is because the degrease is normally the first point of call. Cubleycat has a YouTube video of an hw100 she had taken out of a freezer and you can see it was a different gun when cold.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

it might be floating the barrel, this is the reason i have gone back to the barrel band, But there are a couple of things you could try first, have you tried rolling the barrel. i.e.Tape the barrel ,put 12 markings on barrel then move barrel around a mark at a time (do not adjust scope)(aim dead on same place on target) when done adjust barrel to 12 o,clock , if you go back to thew barrel band take the barrel rubber o ring out,so you are absolutely sure you can fasten everything down without putting any pressure on the barrel, when compleatly satisfied put barrel rubber back.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Yes I'm fortunate enough to have Hull Cartridge 10 mins walk from my front door,
    they have said before that there is nothing wrong with it?

zero shift

You said you had shot nearly a full tin of pellets thro the gun, have you changed to a different tin of pellets? Every time I change to a new tin there is a small change in zero compared to the previous tin. Note this is using the same make and batch number ie JSB .177. if the change is vertical its usualy the grease thickening up in colder temperature. Left and right its likely to be you. If you are talking a couple of millimeters could be your pellets varying or scope shift due to temperature change. I have no experience of the last bit but some experts claim it is a proven occurrence, but we are talking extreme accuracy here.

No mate I bought a sleeve of 4.51 JSB's so all the pellets are the same ..

Hi Keith

Just do what I do mate, and put up with It. I've tried all sorts over the last couple of years, and still, nearly every time I take my rifle out, the POI and slightly changed. Not by much, but enough to be annoying. This Is the only negative thing I can say about my .177 HW100s, and to be fair, I've now got used to It,

John
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

First off is the POI change purely lateral?

Next time you see this change check windage zero at 10yds, you may simply be chasing the wind!

try tightening the moderator, does the barrel rotate with it?

Floating the barrel wont cause this however if the barrel retaining grub screw is loose it can allow the barrel to rotate, they are often oily and come loose.

If there's nothing obviously wrong with the gun, suspect the scope itself. I've had a lot of frustration, on more than one occasion, blaming all sorts of things, before realising that the scope itself was the problem. Try zeroing very carefully, preferably indoors, then slap the scope a couple of times and see what happens - you might not like the answer.

Alan

My 101 didn't change zero in 6 months. Took action out the stock and back and still bang on.
    Check if there is any play in the barrel. Too tight or loose can cause problems.
    I floated the barrel but added a washer between the stock and barrel band to make sure there was daylight all around the barrel.
    Only other thing, do you store your rifle in a stand? Is it rested on the barrel?
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

Temperature of the ambient air can and does influence both the zero and performance of many PCPs. I would just live with it and readjust scope as and when appropriate. You will also find that the more expensive the optics, the less likely you will be to lose your zero. Also dont forget that head position, parallax error and cant will all have a cumulative effect.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    A few weeks ago I mapped my scope out to 60 yards and must of shot a full tin of pellets through it
    and was pleased with the results. The scope I use is a Nikko target master and scope with adjustable
    and resetable turrets on this day I set the zero to 35 yards and turrets to zero so far so good ....
    it was a cold day ...

A week later on a warmer day I checked the zero and the zero had moved so I reset the zero but didn't re set the turrets deliberately.

Every subsequent week I had to reset the zero to a point that the top, right turret was half a turn out !!!!

I went out last night and the zero ended up back to what it was originally it was a very mild night.
    checked the zero half way through the session and the zero had shifted!

The barel is free floating and I have a one piece mount this is a regular thing and I have had it to Hull cartridge twice
    for this reason they did tests on it and found nothing wrong with it !!!!! they gave me back a crono results with pellet on
    pellet and stunning crono results...

Is this only my rifle or is there anymore out there that does not keep the zero ?

I might add when its on zero the accuracy out to 35 yards is pellet on pellet ..
    Keith,

This is not a problem. Don't make one up if does not exist . People with their £2000.00+ Steyr, FWB or Walthers spend a good 1/2 hour conditioning the barrel , bringing it up to ambient temperature and restting zero before any comp. This is normal for all rifles.

Just make sure that your barrel has not come loose.

A.G

I'm sure your right Lensman me being overly cautious ..