Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new bloke

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreler View Post
    In my experience one is never enough. She will have calmed down when it's the fourth or fifth one, or not!

Cheers, Phil
    Sorry, is that four or five women, or four or five airguns?

Quote Originally Posted by baddabing View Post
    Thanks chaps. Yes, I probably need to try a few out and see what's comfortable. Does any one have any recommendations for shops in the south Devon area?
    In South Devon there are the two already mentioned plus a branch of Ronnie Sunshine's at Heathfield, Sportsman Guns Exeter & my personal first choice the Country Sports Store in Kingsteignton, slightly further Ladds in Crediton & Blue Fox Glade up in Chumleigh.

The two where you will get the best friendly help & advice are (imo) Country Sports & Blue Fox.

Right, a lot to think about! Thanks for everyone's responses. Can I ask why many recommend .177 over .22?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Right, a lot to think about! Thanks for everyone's responses. Can I ask why many recommend .177 over .22?
    .177 is flatter shooting, and slightly more forgiving of uncertainty when it comes to your exact range to the target. Given that hunting - unless you are static hide shooting at a known distance - tends to be unpredictable when it comes to targets, many advocate .177 as being 'more accurate'.

And accuracy is everything in hunting. Leaving aside the question of whether .22 is 'harder hitting' or not, you are still aiming at and must hit a penny-sized killzone. If you hit this zone the animal will die cleanly, whichever calibre you are using. If you are off target, then the increased energy of the .22 will not help.

.177 and .22 are technically just as accurate as each other of course, but the more pronounced parabola of the .22 trajectory means that accurate range estimation is much more important.

Plus the pellets are cheaper
    Good deals with these members

Spot on, eyebull...

While eyebull above is quite correct in what he says, the other way to look at it is; those who just say .177 is more accurate are either unable or too lazy to learn the trajectory of .22

One other thing to consider is that .177 are tiny, if (like me) you have "fingers like pigs tit's" physically handling/loading them can be quite difficult at the best of time,
    finger dexterity is also an issue with underlever/sidelever rifles with a restricted loading port, I had a TX many years ago (.22) but found it a total pain out hunting so it was sold on in short order, a break barrel is much easier to use.

Hi all - popped in to Country Sports in Kingsteignton earlier today. Had a feel of a few of the guns, v helpful chap gave lots of advice. I hear what people are saying about weight and the ease of reloading a break barrel - the HW97 I tried certainly was considerably heavier. But having said that it certainly seemed solid - I probably won't be spending more than a few hours at a time rabbit stalking, so at this stage I don't think I'll let that put me off. I know I'll probably make a few wrong choices, but with such a vast array of guns out there, and a relatively vibrant second hand market, I suppose I can afford to make a mistake or two! Anyway, I feel I just need to get a something now and start using it! So, the upshot of all that I'm going to keep my eye out for a second hand HW97. Yes yes I know all the advice I've received has been overwhelmingly for a break barrel, and all the advice is very much appreciated, but the HW97 is the itch I have to scratch I think. Right, off to the classifieds...

Well I finally have a rifle. An HW97 I hear you ask? Er...., no. For some reason not entirely known to myself, I have actually found myself with a PCP. I don't know why, I had a feel of a few and before you could say "that'll be at least £100 extra for the pump please" I found myself browsing the classifieds and have bought a tuned BSA R10 Mk2 off a chap here (and the pump off another chap here!). I always seem to do this, set myself a sensible budget and find it creeping up as I say to myself "only another fifty and I could get so-and-so", or "well if I'm going to spend X then why not a little bit more and get Y" etc etc. The wife is blissfully unaware that I'm spending the children's inheritance...
    Anyway, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I start to use the blessed thing, hopefully the first won't be why the hell didn't I get a HW100...