Thread: Theory as to why the Haenel 28-R is more prevalent in the US

Theory as to why the Haenel 28-R is more prevalent in the US

It made no sense to me that I could obtain three examples of the Haenel 28-R in 6 months. Hiller in his book says it's a "rare" pistol. I recently had a German collector approach me to buy a Repeater cause he was a Haenel collector and found them very hard to find over there. I have found three US companies with old printed ads selling Haenel air guns: Stoeger, Hudsons, and Johnson Smith & Co.

The last one was not known by me until this week. I found an advertisement for the Haenel 28-R in their 1936 Catalog.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psvbyabz55.jpg

Just this morning on line I found a online copy of the entire Johnson Smith and Co. 1929 Catalog. I paged through it and found the same advertisement. They ran it for at least 7 years.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psdbxqhek0.jpg

I did not know this but Johnson Smith & Co. was one of the most read catalogs of the Depression era. It was as many as 700 pages long containing a wide spectrum of entertaining products. Reading it became cheap popular entertainment for those troubled times.

Looking at the 1929 full catalog they only sold Haenel pellet air pistols. And the only high end pistol they sold was the repeater. They didn't sell the regular 28, only the 26.

You have to think that with this kind of exposure the US may have gotten more than it's share of Repeaters? It's also interesting to me that the Repeater appear as early as 1929 in a catalog?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    The Johnson Smith catalogue is very interesting, as there is currently a gap in our knowledge about Haenel air pistols for the year 1929. German, British and American catalogues which cover these pistols are known for 1927 and 1928, as are many for the 1930’s, but for some reason 1929 has always been lacking. This has obscured the early history of the Haenel air pistols, and so this catalogue throws valuable new information into the mix.

Unfortunately the Johnson Smith catalogue entry is misleading in some respects, and the first error which Danny has already pointed out is the wrong illustration for the Haenel 28-R. Also confusing is the single shot pistol listed as the “Haenel Super Air Pistol”. The pistol illustrated is quite clearly the Haenel 26, and yet if you read the description one would think it was the Model 28, as it says “made of the finest steel , blued finish…”, whereas the Model 26 is constructed mainly of zinc alloy and is black painted. However, this must just be poetic licence as the quoted weight for the gun (1.5 lbs) and its low price clearly indicates that it is indeed the Model 26. This is very interesting, as the earliest date for the Model 26 was previously 1930, and so this tells us that it was on the market in 1929, and could even have been introduced as early as 1928.
    The 1929 date for the Haenel 28-R is also earlier than expected.

The fact that the catalogue makes no mention of the model designations “26”, “28” or “28-R” is valuable, as current thinking is already that these numbers may not have been introduced officially by Haenel until the guns had been on the market until about 1930. We know from catalogues that the very first pistol came onto the market in 1927, and it was then called the Haenel 27. Catalogue illustrations and descriptions show that this almost mythological model was constructionally quite different from both the Haenel 26 and 28 pistols. Not as heavy as the 28 and heavier than the 26, it also had a plastic rather than walnut grip plates. http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psgjdrwtbp.jpg

Catalogues then show us that within a year the Model 27 was no longer available. The closely related classic Model 28 design now appeared, but it was not marketed as the 28, just simply as the “Haenel Air Pistol”. These early guns were stamped with this name without the 28 model number designation. Although rarer than the guns marked Haenel 28, they do turn up fairly regularly, and on occasion they have been mistakenly considered to be Haenel 27’s, which they are not. Unfortunately no confirmed example of the Haenel 27 has ever been reported.

So it seems that Haenel introduced Schmeisser’s design in 1927, as the Haenel 27, naming it after the year of introduction. This pistol presumably evolved a year later into two new forms, the slightly better quality Model 28, and a low-end of the market version, the Model 26. However, neither pistol was assigned a model number at this point. It seems that the decision to use these model numbers was taken in about 1930, as catalogue entries from that year are known which show the pistol both with and without these model numbers.
    The only missing pieces of the jigsaw are an actual example of the Haenel 27, and an early example of the Haenel 26 which is not stamped with its model number.

Any information about either of these would be greatly appreciated!

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    There's a very good reason they're rare in Germany. A hell of a lot of their major population areas were bombed virtually flat during WW2. The amount of property destroyed in those buildings would beggar belief.
    Added to that, the allies confiscated firearms on a large scale during the initial stages of the occupation, and families may have felt that having a gun of any kind in the house was too much of a chance to take, and handed it in to the "proper authorities" (Germans at that time would have been very big on "proper authorities") for destruction.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

I sold an old model 26 to gingernut on here, not sure what markings it has on it. I prefer the 26 to the 28 as it is lighter but puts out a similar poor power. Catalogue page is interesting, it shows the Diana tinplate at 12.5 Reichsmark, and the boxed one I have from the same period is marked at 11 shillings and sixpence (11/6d) from Gamages London.

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The picture being the 28 instead of the 28-R may indicated that this date is so close to the introduction that they didn't have a illustration for the Repeater yet. Once the ad was set they never changed it? But come to think of it I have never seen an illustration for the Repeater, the later one I've seen mentions it under the 28 with no pic. Was there ever a catalog pic of the Repeater?

I was always under the impression that the Repeater was a later entry but it could be that it was on the drawing boards almost simultaneously with the 28? It would be fascinating to see a copy of the 1928 catalog to see what appears? This company seemed to focus on Haenel, they offered the Haenel 50 on another page.
    Last edited by 45flint; 20-03-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    The picture being the 28 instead of the 28-R may indicated that this date is so close to the introduction that they didn't have a illustration for the Repeater yet. Once the ad was set they never changed it? But come to think of it I have never seen an illustration for the Repeater, the later one I've seen mentions it under the 28 with no pic. Was there ever a catalog pic of the Repeater?

I was always under the impression that the Repeater was a later entry but it could be that it was on the drawing boards almost simultaneously with the 28? It would be fascinating to see a copy of the 1928 catalog to see what appears? This company seemed to focus on Haenel, they offered the Haenel 50 on another page.
    There are plenty of catalogue pictures of the Haenel 28-R, but always from the post-1930 period.

The problem with many of the catalogues from around the 1928-1932 is that they are usually undated. Dating them by indirect methods is fraught with difficulty and still leaves a lot of uncertainty. I do not know of any definitely datable 1928 catalogue which pictures the Haenel pistols. The earliest catalogue picture I can find of the 28-R is from a catalogue dating from “about 1930-1931”.

However, in the February 1988 edition of Airgunner, John Atkins gives an account of the Sporting Goods Review magazine, dated December 31, 1928. In it there is an advert from the Modern Arms Company (a British gun distributing company located in Southwark), which describes (but does not illustrate) a new “reliable repeating air pistol” that had become available, and from the context (the Haenel drum repeating air rifle is also described) this is certainly the 28-R pistol. So it does look as though the 28-R came onto the market in the same year as the Haenel 28, and about a year after the 27.

A 1928 catalogue of well defined date with illustrations of the Haenel air pistol range would be a find indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    There are plenty of catalogue pictures of the Haenel 28-R, but always from the post-1930 period.

The problem with many of the catalogues from around the 1928-1932 is that they are usually undated. Dating them by indirect methods is fraught with difficulty and still leaves a lot of uncertainty. I do not know of any definitely datable 1928 catalogue which pictures the Haenel pistols. The earliest catalogue picture I can find of the 28-R is from a catalogue dating from “about 1930-1931”.

However, in the February 1988 edition of Airgunner, John Atkins gives an account of the Sporting Goods Review magazine, dated December 31, 1928. In it there is an advert from the Modern Arms Company (a British gun distributing company located in Southwark), which describes (but does not illustrate) a new “reliable repeating air pistol” that had become available, and from the context (the Haenel drum repeating air rifle is also described) this is certainly the 28-R pistol. So it does look as though the 28-R came onto the market in the same year as the Haenel 28, and about a year after the 27.

A 1928 catalogue of well defined date with illustrations of the Haenel air pistol range would be a find indeed.
    One thing nice about the Johnson Smith & Co. Catalog is that you definitely have a date. I think I can get access to the 1928 Catalog. Could be interesting but I would assume that the 28 would not be in it? We may be the only two people in the collecting world who care? Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 20-03-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Another thought if the Repeater was available in 1929 wouldn't we expect there to be very early Repeaters with no 28-R designation just like the first 28s? I have never heard of any? All of mine are serial numbers in the 2000-3000s.
    Last edited by 45flint; 20-03-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Another thought if the Repeater was available in 1929 wouldn't we expect there to be very early Repeaters with no 28-R designation just like the first 28s? I have never heard of any? All of mine are serial numbers in the 2000-3000s.
    A good point. I have also never heard of any such unmarked repeaters either, but as the later 28-R's are rare enough (contrary to your own experiences), any unmarked early ones could be almost as rare the 27 and so no one may have picked up on this. The question of serial numbers and exactly how, when and where these first kicked in is another thorny question. For example we know that there wasn't a clean serial number point at which the marked Haenel 28 took over from the unmarked form, as there is an overlap around the 8000-9000 level. This could mean that serial numbers were being stamped simultaneously on old and new stock for short time, or that the two models had completely independent serial number sequences.

It might be significant that the Johnson Smith catalogue doesn't specifically call the gun the Haenel 28 Repeater, and just refers to it as a repeater, so perhaps its early imports didn't carry the "28" stamp.

Don't worry about apparent lack of interest - there are plenty of keen Haenel collectors who frequent this forum. Also there is a surprising number of hardened air pistol collectors who are not members of this forum.

I should have the Johnson Smith Co. 1928 Catalog in my hands in a week. Just had to have a look!

I looked at the 1928 Johnson Smith & Co. Catalog and there were no pellet pistols. They entered the market in 1929 with the Haenel's. I know someone in the US with quite a few 28-Rs. If I can contact him I am going to ask if any of them have no 28-R on the tube.
    Last edited by 45flint; 22-03-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Johnson Smith catalogues

Good reading,these tomes! ;-) I don't have 1928 but have 1929 and several more modern. They tend not to itemise gun brands or names..Trev

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    Good reading,these tomes! ;-) I don't have 1928 but have 1929 and several more modern. They tend not to itemise gun brands or names..Trev
    They are a great trip back in time, so many items and tricks I loved as a boy came from that era.

The Haenel air pistols were just being introduced in 1929 Catalog, probably printed early in the year. Would not be surprising that specifics names were not mentioned. But my quest for the unnamed 28-R will continue. Lol. Still surprising that the 26, 28, 28-R all came out pretty close to each other. Also I think it is surprising that the 28-R started life available in .177 and .22. Thought I read somewhere that the 22 came out later?

Got a new old Crosman coming, hopefully it gets me of my 28-R kick for a while. I think I need therapy.

Last bit of information from the advertisement I glossed over. It says that these are made to shoot "Haenel Precision Lead Pellets". I have to assume these are not round balls. Many assumed round balls is what they were designed for. They had a stouter thicker shirt pellet back then which could cycle more easily. I can get these to cycle with the right length modern pellet but still the skirts on modern pellets tend to be very thin and more pron to deformation.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    A good point. I have also never heard of any such unmarked repeaters either, but as the later 28-R's are rare enough (contrary to your own experiences), any unmarked early ones could be almost as rare the 27 and so no one may have picked up on this. The question of serial numbers and exactly how, when and where these first kicked in is another thorny question. For example we know that there wasn't a clean serial number point at which the marked Haenel 28 took over from the unmarked form, as there is an overlap around the 8000-9000 level. This could mean that serial numbers were being stamped simultaneously on old and new stock for short time, or that the two models had completely independent serial number sequences.

It might be significant that the Johnson Smith catalogue doesn't specifically call the gun the Haenel 28 Repeater, and just refers to it as a repeater, so perhaps its early imports didn't carry the "28" stamp.

Don't worry about apparent lack of interest - there are plenty of keen Haenel collectors who frequent this forum. Also there is a surprising number of hardened air pistol collectors who are not members of this forum.
    I just heard from a collector who has serial number #28, Haenel 28 Repeater and it is marked 28-R, so it looks like there were no unmarked 28-Rs.