Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skan Pro 1 Chronograph

Skan Pro 1 Chronograph

I picked up one of these Skan chronographs recently. It has a square hole to shoot through, you plug it into the mains and a Red led screen lights up. You shoot a pellet through it and it comes up with a number displayed on the screen. Its all black with very little else, to go by. Ive tried looking on the internet to find any instructions for it and have drawn a blank. I called Skan direct and they were very helpful indeed.......they said ask Airgunbbs as we dont know, the only person who would know is the boss and I will not ask him. British customer service at its best, I would say.

Can anyone advise how to interpret the displayed number, its probably something like double it then divide by the pellet weight. Shooting a typical lead .22 pellet it displays a number around 150.

Cheers

There are four little buttons on the right hand side, they are:

UP
    DOWN
    YES
    NO

When you turn on, the SKAN goes through a self diagnostic routine and after displaying a banner advert it comes up with a number, which should be close to 450. If the number is much less then the power supply or batteries are not up to full output.

If you see 450 or close to it, press YES.

I think the next thing you see is the pellet weight; if it's correct, press YES. It probably isn't, so press UP or DOWN to alter it, then press YES when it's correct.

Next you have a choice of modes, the easiest is continuous mode, so if it says that press YES. If it says something else press UP or DOWN until you get continuous mode, then press YES.

It then says Ready for shot.

This is when you fire a shot through the diamond apertures, you need to be on centre and parallel, not at an angle.

The display, after the shot, should give you velocity and foot-pounds.

For the next shot, you don't need to press anything, just shoot again and you get a new result.

Sometimes the SKAN misreads and gives a reading that is obviously too high, usually twice the right number, so you'll see maybe 1500 fps speed and 46 ft.lb or similar.

Try sellotaping a piece of card over the outlet side to stop any daylight getting in.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Have a look here ( http://www.skanar.co.uk/pro1inst.PDF ) it is the instruction manual.

Roger

Hi Rich, many thanks for your response, unfortnately i don't think its for the same unit. Mine doesnt have the buttons you refer to and it has a square hole to shoot through. The shape of the hole runs in parallel to the outside case, not a diamond.
    'm guessing mine is a very early model ?

Thanks

HI Roger, thank you for the information, I had found that previously, but its for a series 3 and appears more complicated to mine. At a guess I would say mine is a series 1. I think that it is more simple to use, something like shoot through hole, read number, double number then divide by pellet weight. At a reading of 145 x 2 = 190, 190 ÷ 21.14 = 13.71 ft lbs, which in my opinion is too high. So I think ive missed a calc or, two?

Cheers

I have found a picture of something very similar on the internet.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sk...Ud5_R5-xROi1M:

skan

The formula is FPS x FPS X PELLET WEIGHT then divide by 450240
    example for say a .22 pellet at 14,3 gr ,,,,
    550 x 550 x 14.3 divide by 450240 = 9.60765369581 ft lb

For a while I thought you might be describing my old chrono, but on checking my one is a Skan HR4.
    It is one of the very early models (mid to late 1980's?) that only displays the fps reading. When switched on it displays a seemingly random number then I press the red button to 'self check' ... a reading of 333 / 334 is fine. Then display goes blank and only shows a red dot. Fire shot and the fps is displayed. No facility to give ftlbs or to store. Maybe this helps you fathom out your chrono.
    I did shoot mine some years ago (whoops!) ... the rear sensors. I bought some diodes from Maplins and replaced the broken ones and the chrono seems to work Ok but I invested in a new Skan just in case. ....
    Cheers, Phil

If your velocity is 145, could it be metres/sec? In round numbers using a 21 gn pellet, 145 metres/sec = 476 ft/sec = 10.57 fpe which sounds feasible.

Should be easy enough to check by shooting through a known chrono.

Alan

Thanks Gents for your input. Colin G looks like you have nailed it, many thanks. I dont think that I would have been able to work it out myself. I'll give it try asap and let you know the results.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    Thanks Gents for your input. Colin G looks like you have nailed it, many thanks. I dont think that I would have been able to work it out myself. I'll give it try asap and let you know the results.

Cheers.

Old school buddy so I still have a working one amongst the collection of crono`s and ballistic pendulums, Don't shoot out the led`s though. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer50 View Post
    If your velocity is 145, could it be metres/sec? In round numbers using a 21 gn pellet, 145 metres/sec = 476 ft/sec = 10.57 fpe which sounds feasible.

Should be easy enough to check by shooting through a known chrono.

Alan
    Hmmmm... is there a chrono that displays in m/sec? Good idea but the only ones I have seen read out in feet / sec ... and also the ft lbs if the pellet weight is entered.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Hmmmm... is there a chrono that displays in m/sec? Good idea but the only ones I have seen read out in feet / sec ... and also the ft lbs if the pellet weight is entered.
    Cheers, Phil
    Just about every chrono I've ever come across including the Combro, Bluechron, Caldwell, Chrony M1, Air Chrony and R2 either have a metric option or a metric model...... The current Skan seems to be about the only reputable type that doesn't, but that doesn't mean that the early models didn't.

If it isn't metres, it sounds like a seriously under-powered gun or a knackered chrono. Anyway, like I said, its easily checked.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Archer50 View Post
    Just about every chrono I've ever come across including the Combro, Bluechron, Caldwell, Chrony M1, Air Chrony and R2 either have a metric option or a metric model...... The current Skan seems to be about the only reputable type that doesn't, but that doesn't mean that the early models didn't.

If it isn't metres, it sounds like a seriously under-powered gun or a knackered chrono. Anyway, like I said, its easily checked.

Alan
    Well well ... I learn something new every day (or try to)... I really did not know about the metric options as I had never seen them in operation. My own chrono (s) are Skan models. I have seen different models at various competition shoots being used to ensure everyone is 'within the law' and also seen Combros in use. But I have never seen them set to a metric option.
    Thank you for putting me right.
    A thought though .. do metric options require pellet weight in grammes?
    In the UK, shooters are used to talking about fps with pellet weight in grains. In continental Europe do they feel more comfortable using the metric system? After all, they use joules ...

Cheers, Phil

In all the one's I've seen, you put the pellet weight in in grammes and the result comes out in joules. I rarely use this option myself but I know quite a few (UK) shooters who do, especially the ones who like fiddling around with the maths as they say it makes the calculations easier.

I've been caught out before by not realising the chrono was or wasn't set to metric so whenever I see a set of velocities that look like they are three times too high or too low I immediately suspect that is the cause.

Alan