Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walther LP53

Well if one follows Clarky's thread and modifies the weight of the piston (adding 18 grams to the head of the spring) and the type of spring itself, velocity comes up fairly easily to the 460's with a 7.5gr pellet. Not a lot of effort to bump pellet speed around 90fps over factory specified velocity.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....53-and-Lucznik
    But for accuracy, well... your mileage may vary. Admittedly I haven't put in a lot of hours with mine yet, though I intend to this summer as it'll be along on camping trips. But so far I'm lucky if I can hole 1.5" groups at 6 metres. I can hold 1/2" at that distance with a Pardini K12, owing to the many hours put in training for formal 10 metre competition. Haven't pursued a two-handed grip on the LP53 either which might be key - I just don't like shooting that way, single handed seems more appropriate for pistol to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Well if one follows Clarky's thread and modifies the weight of the piston (adding 18 grams to the head of the spring) and the type of spring itself, velocity comes up fairly easily to the 460's with a 7.5gr pellet. Not a lot of effort to bump pellet speed around 90fps over factory specified velocity.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....53-and-Lucznik
    But for accuracy, well... your mileage may vary. Admittedly I haven't put in a lot of hours with mine yet, though I intend to this summer as it'll be along on camping trips. But so far I'm lucky if I can hole 1.5" groups at 6 metres. I can hold 1/2" at that distance with a Pardini K12, owing to the many hours put in training for formal 10 metre competition. Haven't pursued a two-handed grip on the LP53 either which might be key - I just don't like shooting that way, single handed seems more appropriate for pistol to me.
    The 53 will quite happily climb to almost 500 fps with my mods and i can repeatedly produce 20mm gps
    This evening i just managed a 12 mm group. It takes real practice but its in the gun unlike many other springer pistols.
    Thats the key with the 53...Its there...you just need to drag it out.
    To help, you need my mods....running one spring P18 or Cometa....run it on Delrin or stainless guide and top hat. Then you want JSB exact or Falcon....
    Neatsfoot lube the head....no dieseling after a few clearing shots......then a medium tight Isocoles hold.
    Raise the pistol slowly to the bull with the first pressure taken up.....then squeeze just as the sights come up on the base of the bull and the recoil will take that same movement upward in a straightline.
    Ive produced tiny groups like this.
    The Falcons hit 495 fps with the Exacts running around 465 fps...

Further....forget any comparisons being made with the Lucznik ....The trigger just isnt in the same league and cannot compete once the 53 is set up correctly..
    The quality of the grip is greater and gives more control and the quality of the internals and rifling is simply better.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The first thing I did was put a beefier spring in with fitting guides. The fps went up and noise went down, still has the comedy recoil thing going on though.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The first thing I did was put a beefier spring in with fitting guides. The fps went up and noise went down, still has the comedy recoil thing going on though.
    Its a comedy recoil but one directional ...upward.
    Its masterable ...weve all done it to varying extents at my club....but its the two way recoil jobbies we struggle with

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Its a comedy recoil but one directional ...upward.
    Its masterable ...weve all done it to varying extents at my club....but its the two way recoil jobbies we struggle with
    I have just finished a set of parts for another 53 owner at the club but this time he wanted me to chase maximum accuracy instead of power.
    Produced the longest possible guide to go over the existing rod. Its approx 10 mm longer than the stock Protek power pod kit but with a shorter top hat.
    The idea being to give maximum guiding on the section of the spring left outside of the piston and absolute minimum of additional weight to the piston but still have the centralizing effect of a small top hat.
    I made both items with nice slide fits to very high finish.
    I got 445 fps to 451 fps and 20mm groups at 9 yards with the H&N match finale that he likes.

I have a second set of the parts for anyone wanting an alternative to what they already have.

The LP53 has an alloy outer barrel (people on here call it monkey metal,which is Zamak) and a steel rifled liner. The outer barrel cannot be blued with normal gun blue, but satin black spray paint makes a nice job of re-finishing these.I also fill in he Walther name with white paint which really sets it off. The Predom copy uses a solid steel barrel.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    The LP53 has an alloy outer barrel (people on here call it monkey metal,which is Zamak) and a steel rifled liner. The outer barrel cannot be blued with normal gun blue, but satin black spray paint makes a nice job of re-finishing these.I also fill in he Walther name with white paint which really sets it off. The Predom copy uses a solid steel barrel.

Baz
    It actually is not zamak and monkey metal is brass..i think
    The outer shroud of the 53 is pure cast aluminium which was chosen due to its ease of taking anodizing.....zamak will not take anodizing.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    It actually is not zamak and monkey metal is brass..i think
    The outer shroud of the 53 is pure cast aluminium which was chosen due to its ease of taking anodizing.....zamak will not take anodizing.
    That's lucky, cos my barrel is in the anodising shop tomorrow!

I used a cut down HW30 spring with a tiny top hat and over sleeved guide over the existing unit. It worked well, but I have a few more spring combo's to try when its all back together. I want the smoothest possible 420fps for clean cut holes in paper targets.

I used a cut down HW30 spring with a tiny top hat and over sleeved guide over the existing unit. It worked well, but I have a few more spring combo's to try when its all back together. I want the smoothest possible 420fps for clean cut holes in paper targets.
    I have a couple of spare OXen, from an HW80 if you want to give one a try.

You can use a Cometa 50 or as you say a HW30 spring ground flat at each end and then polished to a glass finish with 600 grade.
    Using 17 coils, i am able to use a combination of 16mm long top hat slide fit in the spring with 3mm shoulder ... barely more than 0.05mm clearance inside the 19.0 mm internal dia. of the piston ...or 18.85 mm.
    The guide rod simply needs to be long enough to support the full lenght of the spring which is left outside the piston when the gun is fired.
    Forget the idea of the Proteks kit of having a ver tight fit.....it robs far too much power and my nice sliding fits work with no vibration whatsoever but fully release the springs potential.
    Work on 0.1mm of clearance over the existing guide for a nice slip or spinning fit with no play...
    I used black delrin as white can be seen looking in through the grip slot.
    I found that my stainless guides gave good recoil damping though....due to the weight but the top hat in stainless definately a little more slam...
    You will definately run more than 420 fps with thos type of set up though...

I have mentioned before, but I can't use black plastics due to arachnophobia.

Still, thanks for the advice on making spring guides, I'll take that into account. Maybe try a softer spring such as the HW45 if the 30 gives too much oomph?

I have mentioned before, but I can't use black plastics due to arachnophobia.

Still, thanks for the advice on making spring guides, I'll take that into account. Maybe try a softer spring such as the HW45 if the 30 gives too much oomph?
    Im not sure on the 45 spring....i believe it does fit a HW30 but the Cometa spring had been tried and tested.
    USe Tony Walls SL2 grease for lube . I have shot 1/2 inch groups with this set up ..Trouncing anyones effort with a 45 or any other recoiling springer pistol for that matter.

[QUOTE=tinbum;7225869]That's lucky, cos my barrel is in the anodising shop tomorrow!

How are the edges of the breach and muzzle of the steel barrel are after the anodising process ?

Baz

[QUOTE=Benelli B76;7227056]

How are the edges of the breach and muzzle of the steel barrel are after the anodising process ?

Baz
    I'm still waiting to see. Finger crossed.

[QUOTE=tinbum;7227063]
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post

I'm still waiting to see. Finger crossed.
    If they can anodise it they will have to seal off the steel parts well. The muzzle is not too difficult as it is recessed.

Baz