Thread: Any idea how many licences have been issued in Scotland

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by targetmark View Post
    Sorry for butting in your thread gents. Can I ask how many air rifles can be owned under the licence scheme ? And if I went up to scotland to shoot in a comp would I require a licence?
    Thanks
    Mark
    yes you would need a visitors license. unless this covers you. If you are aged 14 or over and hold a valid firearm and/or shotgun licence issued in England or Wales on 31 December 2016

I'm covered on my FAC and sgc until my renewal but I can't buy a rifle via a dealer unless I have a airgun license

Visitors to Scotland
    If you’re travelling from England or Wales with an air weapon
    From 31 December 2016, you will need a visitor permit to own, use, purchase or acquire air weaponswhile in Scotland. Visitor permits are issued by Police Scotland. You can apply for a permit after 1 July 2016.
    If you’re travelling from England or Wales, and hold a valid firearm or shotgun licence.

If you are aged 14 or over and hold a valid firearm and/or shotgun licence issued in England or Wales on 31 December 2016, you won’t need a separate licence to own or use air weapons while in Scotland. If the licence was granted or renewed on or after 31 December 2016, then you will need a visitor permit.
    Even if you have a valid firearm or shotgun licence, if you want to buy an air weapon in Scotland and walk out of the shop with it, then you will need a visitor permit.

If you’re travelling from Northern Ireland with an air weapon
    A Northern Irish firearm certificate will not allow you to possess an air weaponin Scotland. Visitors will need a visitor permit to use, buy or acquire air weaponswhile in Scotland. Visitor permits are issued by Police Scotland. You can apply for a permit after 1 July 2016.

If you’re travelling from outside the UK with an air weapon
    You will need a visitor permit to own, use, buy or acquire air weaponswhile in Scotland. Visitor permits are issued by Police Scotland. You can apply for a permit from 1 July 2016.

I want to borrow an air weapon while in Scotland, do I need a permit?
    If you will be shooting under the supervision of a licence holder, or at an approved club or other authorised venue, then you shouldn’t need a permit. However, if you will be shooting on your own then you will need a visitor permit. If in doubt you should contact Police Scotland for advice before you travel.

If you want to buy an air weapon while in Scotland
    If you want to buy an air weapon and walk out of the shop with it, then you will need a visitor permit.
    You can buy an air weapon from a Registered Firearms Dealer and have the weapon sent directly to your home country without requiring a permit.

I live in England or Wales but travel to Scotland regularly, can I get an air weapon licence
    Yes - licences can be granted to people who live outside Scotland. The licence will only come into effect when the person crosses the border. You should apply to Police Scotland in the normal way

consensus is that if you are in and out of Scotland every few months they say just to buy the full license rather than the visitor ones every few months

visitor permit is £20 a time .full license is £72 for 5 years . not sure if the full license at FAC or sgc for £5 covers English or welsh shooters.

http://airweapon.scot/faqs/
    Last edited by bighit; 31-03-2017 at 04:30 PM.