Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On a level with your setup...

On a level with your setup...

Got round to fitting my brand new scope and my new to me dovetail mount spirit level (thanks peddy!!!) Today and what can I say.. WOW!!
    The new scope is amazing, I know it was expensive but its so much better than my old vortex.. Its a vortex viper 4-12x40pa., I managed to re-parralax it very easily on the lowest side wheel setting to about 25yrds and the wheel works fantastic for the longer ranges (I just need to put a new distance tape around the wheel for reference). The glass is bright as I'd expect perhaps more than the old one but not much, the main diffence is the ease of use, the eyebox is just so much easier to get into. Its lighter on the rifle and the mounting length is longer so i m not restricted by the mag anymore. All these factors make the setup so nice its totally changed the rifle.

On to the level...
    First thing I liked about it was it massively helped align the scope properly, I hung a bit of bailing twine with a rock attached to the bottom from a tree, I slackened the rings then lined up the cross hairs with the string while the level was central.. Now I did it roughly by eye before I did this & I was out by a country mile!!! I couldn't believe by how much... Next was sighting in.. Set up a target took aim then just opened my left eye to look at the level.. The bubble was right up the end of the level, I was miles off again!! And all because I was shooting across a hill & the fence I was shooting towards was at about a 10 degree angle!!! I'd never noticed how much I was canting the rifle!! What an excellent little device I highly recommend them, and they don't cost an arm & a leg!!
    So to say I'm a happy bunny is an understatement, to top it off I bagged two bunnies with a one two shot one straight after the other both super clean kills. ACE!!!!

I love it when you get your setup right & it workes really well.. I hadn't realized how unhappy with it I was till today, I'd just been fighting with it without knowing & once I've had the stock modified with an adjustable cheek & but pad itl be even better!! Itl be totally sorted just like my evo

Rhys
    Last edited by rhyslightnin; 21-03-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    A big +1 on the usefulness of levels!
    Eventually I want one on all my rifles. A word to the wise though, some of the cheaper ones don't mount very well, as I have learned to my cost.
    Good deals with these members

Rhys. if you don't mind me asking, what is your setup?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    A big +1 on the usefulness of levels!
    Eventually I want one on all my rifles. A word to the wise though, some of the cheaper ones don't mount very well, as I have learned to my cost.
    I have a Hawke one which is a waste of space. The ones from Sportsmatch that screw on the side are good but pricy.
    And they are apparently illegal in HFT comps .

A.G

Lovely post young Rhys and glad to see you're made up.

Must admit, I have never fitted a level. But I've often wondered how much cant may exist whilst I'm blissfully unaware. It must account for many misses, especially where more holdover is called for at longer ranges.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Rhys. if you don't mind me asking, what is your setup?
    Daystate huntsman classic .177 with hugget shroud plus full length mod & rowan fully adjustable trigger, running 765fps with jsb 8.4's, vortex viper 4-12x40pa bdc on blueprint medium mounts.

Forgot to add the hawk dovetail mounted spirit level.!

Rhys
    Last edited by rhyslightnin; 21-03-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Level
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I have a Hawke one which is a waste of space. The ones from Sportsmatch that screw on the side are good but pricy.

A.G
    Mine is a hawk, I've got it mounted underneath but slightly forward of the center of the parallax knob. Its easy to see it when I'm aiming with the other eye so its a split second check just before your shot plus it only sticks out as far as the knob itself which is great, it doesn't get in the way at all.

Rhys

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    ...Must admit, I have never fitted a level. But I've often wondered how much cant may exist whilst I'm blissfully unaware....
    Far more than you would expect, levels are a real eye opener.
    Good deals with these members

I always shoot with a bubble. People think I'm an old fool, but I'm like - not.

I have owned most designs, but this is my favourite type at the moment, available for around 3 quid on fleabay.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post

A.G
    That's the main reason I don't do HFT.

That and lying on the floor in mud.

And getting up early on Sundays.

So how do you lever your level?
    Donald

On the subject of levels...

I've used a few over the years but to be honest haven't found them to be as good as they could be, that was until I came across the Accuracy 1st level. Its American made and intended for military use, so unfortunately comes with a military price tag. However, its the dogs nuts, its not a bubble level, instead it has a ceramic bead that sits inside a curved vessel and it is simply brilliant. A traditional bubble level behaves in the opposite fashion to the ceramic bead as when you cant the rifle, the bubble goes in the opposite direction to the cant, it also goes all the way along the tube. Whereas the ceramic bead in a curved tube basically acts like a plum line, and allows you to gauge how much cant is being applied, its brilliant.

Its designed to fit a 34mm tube but can be bought with step rings to fit 30mm, which is how mine is fitted.

Here's a few pics, it aint cheap but if you shoot long range, i.e. out to 120 yards then this piece of kit makes a difference.

I got it from LodockGear.co.uk, never dealt with them before this but have to say they dealt with my questions and purchase damn quick and would recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    I have owned most designs, but this is my favourite type at the moment, available for around 3 quid on fleabay.
    That's handy little thing . I've had a look on the said site but the lowest price I can see is £4.99, looks good though so I might just......

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    So how do you lever your level?
    A level is level, that's why its called a level.

I bought my BSA Ultra as a full set up but now I have changed the scope, mounts, mod, added sling studs, sling, bipod and a de-pinger. It was pointless me buying a full set up!

Oh and I want to change the dive tank for a bigger one....

But I love it now. So much more usable for me.
    BASC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    A level is level, that's why its called a level.

I bought my BSA Ultra as a full set up but now I have changed the scope, mounts, mod, added sling studs, sling, bipod and a de-pinger. It was pointless me buying a full set up!

Oh and I want to change the dive tank for a bigger one....

But I love it now. So much more usable for me.
    I think he means the scope levels as they rotate around the tube of the scope so you have to set it to level before you can use it

There is one advantage to buying a full setup & that is you have stuff to sell to offset the cost of buying what you want when you've figured out what you want!! this can all work quite well if your buying it second hand.. I've lost a bit of money on the four different scopes I've had on this gun but it's not much probably about £50 after selling the scope the gun came with.. which isn't bad as 2 of them were new., And I've had use from them. I think it's great chopping & changing on the second hand market until you find "the one".

Rhys

The only time I'd bother with a bubble is if I had 'BKL' mounts or some other kind of self centralising mounts fitted most side clamp mounts don't sit perfectly square on the rifle...