Thread: On a level with your setup...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On a level with your setup...

Got round to fitting my brand new scope and my new to me dovetail mount spirit level (thanks peddy!!!) Today and what can I say.. WOW!!
    The new scope is amazing, I know it was expensive but its so much better than my old vortex.. Its a vortex viper 4-12x40pa., I managed to re-parralax it very easily on the lowest side wheel setting to about 25yrds and the wheel works fantastic for the longer ranges (I just need to put a new distance tape around the wheel for reference). The glass is bright as I'd expect perhaps more than the old one but not much, the main diffence is the ease of use, the eyebox is just so much easier to get into. Its lighter on the rifle and the mounting length is longer so i m not restricted by the mag anymore. All these factors make the setup so nice its totally changed the rifle.

On to the level...
    First thing I liked about it was it massively helped align the scope properly, I hung a bit of bailing twine with a rock attached to the bottom from a tree, I slackened the rings then lined up the cross hairs with the string while the level was central.. Now I did it roughly by eye before I did this & I was out by a country mile!!! I couldn't believe by how much... Next was sighting in.. Set up a target took aim then just opened my left eye to look at the level.. The bubble was right up the end of the level, I was miles off again!! And all because I was shooting across a hill & the fence I was shooting towards was at about a 10 degree angle!!! I'd never noticed how much I was canting the rifle!! What an excellent little device I highly recommend them, and they don't cost an arm & a leg!!
    So to say I'm a happy bunny is an understatement, to top it off I bagged two bunnies with a one two shot one straight after the other both super clean kills. ACE!!!!

I love it when you get your setup right & it workes really well.. I hadn't realized how unhappy with it I was till today, I'd just been fighting with it without knowing & once I've had the stock modified with an adjustable cheek & but pad itl be even better!! Itl be totally sorted just like my evo

Rhys
    Last edited by rhyslightnin; 21-03-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.