Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do new guns need "breaking in"?

Do new guns need "breaking in"?

I got a new Compatto a few weeks back and had then chance to put a few hundred pellets through it yesterday. I had three brands to try and at first all three were all over the place and almost felt a but rough to shoot, after a while a few came out here and there that were nice and smooth and on point, then you would get 2-3 in a row that where going through the same hole. I didn't have the best of weather conditions but I was just happy to have a few hours to play with my new toy.

Doe's it take time to break in? I was hoping the grouping was going to be a bit tighter at 30yds. A good 10 shots just fit in a 2p coin but not consistently.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...322_071352.jpg

Any other Compatto owners, could you let me know what pellets you find good?

Chris
    Last edited by Missed_dinner; 22-03-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added attachment
    BASC Member

Guns don't need time to bed in. Just a dozen or so shots to lead the barrel. For a .22 in windy conditions i'd say the AA Fields look about OK - but nothing special.

I was going to ask, would the grouping of a .22 be larger than a .177 just because the pellets make larger holes?

The Bisley Mags were actually being aimed at the top left target but they were heavier and seemed to drop to the right so I used the top left again. I started bottom right with the BM's but they missed the catcher completely so instated again too left.
    BASC Member

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    I was going to ask, would the grouping of a .22 be larger than a .177 just because the pellets make larger holes?
    that's why you measure centre-to-centre
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The Bisley Mags were actually being aimed at the top left target but they were heavier and seemed to drop to the right so I used the top left again. I started bottom right with the BM's but they missed the catcher completely so instated again too left.
    Broadly speaking - .22 groups are bigger than .177 groups. Not least, this is amplified by the larger .22 pellet which animates the group size more than a .177 pellet would (down to pellet size).

Don't worry about your point of aim. The groupings are what is important and the point of aim should remain constant for all pellet tests. When you find the tightest group / chosen pellet just zero your rifle accordingly.
    Last edited by CuppaT; 22-03-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Not bad with a new gun and windy.
    Mine would be about the same.

Don't think PCPs need running in too much.
    It's just a guestion of getting used to the gun.

Fill Compatto to 180
    Above that they get over excited and accuracy worse.

I try not to compare mine to my 100 in .177 which puts them in the famous one hole at that distance.
    I'm not a great shot either.

Did you clean the barrel from new ? if not give it a pull through to remove any packing grease.
    Trying to zero in the wind is a lost cause at the best of time
    Quite possibly it just doesn't like those pellets.

Some guns do need "shooting in" more than others.

Also remember that for the initial zero & pellet testing, you want to remove any/all human error so use a bag for support, once you know the scope is "on" & it likes the pellet, then you also know the rest of it's down to you the shooter.

Thanks as usual for the quick and informative responses, guys. I like this Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CuppaT View Post
    For a .22 in windy conditions i'd say the AA Fields look about OK - but nothing special.
    Another way of saying "shit" haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    that's why you measure centre-to-centre
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by CuppaT View Post
    Don't worry about your point of aim. The groupings are what is important and the point of aim should remain constant for all pellet tests.
    That was my plan but became a problem when they weren't hitting the target. My backboard is a piece of thick plywood about 2' square and it probably has about 50 odd pellets in it now, making it heavier!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Fill Compatto to 180
    Above that they get over excited and accuracy worse.
    I either read or watched a video about the sweet spot so I have been filling to 190 and running down to 130 bar.

Chris
    BASC Member

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Did you clean the barrel from new ? if not give it a pull through to remove any packing grease.
    Trying to zero in the wind is a lost cause at the best of time
    Quite possibly it just doesn't like those pellets.

Some guns do need "shooting in" more than others.
    I wasn't too fussed about zeroing as it was windy but wanted to get close so I could have a plink.

Didn't clean the barrel.

I thought that it might not like these pellets so I am going to try some others. Sadly though there is no other suggestions for the compatto in the pellet thread.

What doesn't help us the lack for packaging round the tin I bought on evil-bay from Mr Sunshine and the tin run of 500 .22 pellets makes a hell of a thud on a door mat and I have been picking out the squared off pellets
    BASC Member

Check the magazine is not clipping the pellets as they are loaded aswell, I had 4 magazines and they were all slightly out of line so when the pellets were pushed through they were damaged, after 2 magazines of pellets the breach area was covered in lead shavings. try loading one pellet at a time to see if it improves accuracy. After a few trips to rfd and returning it to Brocock they replaced barrel and said fill to 180 and use Bisley magnum pellets 4.52 which improved the accuracy loads, but the problem with the magazine still kept happening so I gave up sold it and bought another springer

All guns need running in. How much one might notice is the variable. Some will be smooth and take little settling or it might not be realised by the shooter. Others might be more noticable - even requiring some fettling by the owner or some capable individual.

The biggest issue is usually finding the right pellet for the barrel in terms of producing a tight group and things like brand and range, head size and the content of the metal can all have very variable results. Even switching from a 4.52 to a 4.51 can have a very significant affect on group size.

If your grouping, then you can move the group so POI with a mod on may be very different to a the one with the mod off. Just zero to the set up you will use to shoot.

PCP's may be full of grease and this will settle or it becomes more viscous or less with temp shifts.

Springers will need the spring to settle and the piston and head to shape tot he cylinder so YES, IMHO guns do need to settle
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1979 View Post
    Check the magazine is not clipping the pellets as they are loaded aswell, I had 4 magazines and they were all slightly out of line so when the pellets were pushed through they were damaged, after 2 magazines of pellets the breach area was covered in lead shavings. try loading one pellet at a time to see if it improves accuracy. After a few trips to rfd and returning it to Brocock they replaced barrel and said fill to 180 and use Bisley magnum pellets 4.52 which improved the accuracy loads, but the problem with the magazine still kept happening so I gave up sold it and bought another springer
    The probe pushes in smooth on the AA's and the Sov's so I don't think they are clipping but the Bisley Mag's you have to really push the probe in so I wouldn't be surprised if they are clipping.

How long ago did you own one? Can you remember the serial number?
    BASC Member

The probe pushes in smooth on the AA's and the Sov's so I don't think they are clipping but the Bisley Mag's you have to really push the probe in so I wouldn't be surprised if they are clipping.

How long ago did you own one? Can you remember the serial number?
    Mine clipped with all pellets, when you looked through the hole in mag you could see the centre rotating part didn't line up properly with the outer case of the magazine, mine was a177 serial number was 1960ish, bought it mid December it spent as much time back with rfd and at Brocock as it did in the month I owned it. Once it was working properly (without using the magazine) it was a great gun, but I'd lost interest in ot by then so gave up on it

Springers do, not sure about PCP's but I would say yes to a certain extent, everything new needs to bed in to some extent...

I got a new Compatto a few weeks back and had then chance to put a few hundred pellets through it yesterday. I had three brands to try and at first all three were all over the place and almost felt a but rough to shoot, after a while a few came out here and there that were nice and smooth and on point, then you would get 2-3 in a row that where going through the same hole. I didn't have the best of weather conditions but I was just happy to have a few hours to play with my new toy.

Doe's it take time to break in? I was hoping the grouping was going to be a bit tighter at 30yds. A good 10 shots just fit in a 2p coin but not consistently.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...322_071352.jpg

Any other Compatto owners, could you let me know what pellets you find good?

Chris
    i wouldn't call it breaking in but the parts need to bed in and the lubricants need to permiate the microscopic cavities and then is the barrel that needs leading. A couple of hundred shots should do it.

A.G