Thread: Probably stupid question about U.K. FP regulations

Probably stupid question about U.K. FP regulations

A question in another section about deiseling made me think. You have a regulation that rifle can't be above 12 FP, but anyone can add a drop of oil to the cup of a pellet and get a diesel that will blow you beyond that?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    A question in another section about deiseling made me think. You have a regulation that rifle can't be above 12 FP, but anyone can add a drop of oil to the cup of a pellet and get a diesel that will blow you beyond that?
    there has been cases where the forensics people stripped a PCP and made it go over 12ftlbs.

its the "capable" bit that's the issue

POST no 5 and no 9 here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ghlight=lionel

if your not misusing your rifle then you wont come to the attention of the authorities unless you have a nasty neighbour.
    Last edited by bighit; 22-03-2017 at 12:58 PM.

It is possible. WD40 or gun oil in to the transfer port and you could damage your rifle, and / or get inconsistent and illegal readings. I don't understand why anyone would want to do either.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    You could also throw it off a building to make it cabable of over 12 ft lbs.
    Master Debater

I'm not making a argument to do it, but logically if your rifle is already lower in power given the U K restrictions it would be very easy to make pellets that would circumvent the law. They made a ether rifle didn't they which I assumed controlled the burn as to not damage the gun?

I'm not making a argument to do it, but logically if your rifle is already lower in power given the U K restrictions it would be very easy to make pellets that would circumvent the law. They made a ether rifle didn't they which I assumed controlled the burn as to not damage the gun?
    It didn't control the burn - it simply injected a small quantity of ether which dieseled.

Potentially, any moderate to high-powered springer will diesel if any kind of combustible lube is present in the cylinder ahead of the seal - whether introduced deliberately or accidentally.

Fact is, if 'they' are out to get you, under the present laws 'they' can . On the other hand, the actual number of instances where guns have been seized appears to be very small and we must therefore assume that the number where a seized gun has been deliberately doctored by the authorities to go over the limit on subsequent official test, even smaller.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Whats the point?!

A good 12ft lb air rifle will hit a 5p target at up to 55 yards.

A dieseling rifle will hit nothing at 10 yards.
    Master Debater

I had severe dieseling in a couple of my guns despite being very careful. I traced them to pellet lube. I no longer lube the pellets. The law as worded is a catch all none sense. The trouble is the insertion of the word " capable " which in theory could mean every single gun would be illegal as every gun is capable of producing much more power than the 12 ft.lbs.
    In practice it is unlikely that unless one has committed an offence or has been reported to the police that you'd be the subject of their attention. The airgun community as a whole are quite responsible and law abiding bunch. It is after all in our interest.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I had severe dieseling in a couple of my guns despite being very careful. I traced them to pellet lube. I no longer lube the pellets. The law as worded is a catch all none sense. The trouble is the insertion of the word " capable " which in theory could mean every single gun would be illegal as every gun is capable of producing much more power than the 12 ft.lbs.
    In practice it is unlikely that unless one has committed an offence or has been reported to the police that you'd be the subject of their attention. The airgun community as a whole are quite responsible and law abiding bunch. It is after all in our interest.

A.G
    In 1997 the Real steel shooting community as a whole were a responsible and law abiding bunch But we still had our handguns taken off of us, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Whats the point?!

A good 12ft lb air rifle will hit a 5p target at up to 55 yards.

A dieseling rifle will hit nothing at 10 yards.
    so they can brag to their mates they have a "parfull "airgun ,innit

Quote Originally Posted by Joejack View Post
    In 1997 the Real steel shooting community as a whole were a responsible and law abiding bunch But we still had our handguns taken off of us, just saying.
    It is true but I was just trying to make the good old point that it is not the majority law abiding that cause the problem but the minority criminals for whom no law, however severe has any meaning.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    It is true but I was just trying to make the good old point that it is not the majority law abiding that cause the problem but the minority criminals for whom no law, however severe has any meaning.

A.G
    I totally agree with you AG, I was just pointing out that it was a tiny minority that perpetrated the crimes then, but all the shooting community got punished for it, so it doesn't matter how law abiding and responsible you are, you will always pay for what the brainless idiots do whether it's shooting cats or any other Airgun abuse.

Joe.