Thread: Advice on Rink grips for LP1

Advice on Rink grips for LP1

All- I am after some advice on grips for my LP1. The original (?) Morini Steyr grips just don't work for me. I have shaved a little off the underside of the bit that goes under the sight so it doesn't hurt my hand anymore but every time I pick it up, it's somewhere different in my hand. I have tried a couple of other pistols at the club and everyone's I pick up feels more right!
    The morini grips on the M162ei felt best, but Walther and FWB also feel better. I think the key issue is that mine are too skinny and there just isn't enough meat to get hold of. I have played with an old grip but can't seem to get there and am thinking about getting a Rink grip.
    I have measured the width of my knuckles as 90mm and long finger as 85mm. I think I have pretty normal medium hands - I'm normal weight so not skinny hands, possibly even chunky.
    I also shoot right handed with my left eye so the 7degree shift would be helpful, but I'm not sure on the other parameters such as it looks like I'm medium size and want a convex fit but what about the other parameter of volume- my long finger isn't longer than the width of my hand but I have a sneaky feeling I want the deeper grip.
    There is a guy at the club with a rink medium grip on an LP10 who is going to bring it in next week but it's not the deep grip. I realise if it feels good, I can just copy that approach, but still wanted to check your ideas and experience.
    Any advice welcome, especially someone who has similar issues or who has a morini grip they have changed to rink and how they felt about it and anyone who has bought a deep grip.
    Cheers!
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Hi Lundy

I also shoot left eye right hand, the result of the 7 deg is that it puts your fingers further round the grip so the deeper option will help also the convex option. I have long fingers and a skinny hand the only grip that has worked for me is a Mannel long finger version even with that I had to add extra material to the front of the grip.

I bought mine from here, it looks as though he has dropped the price but the M/L is not available on the drop down only M/M. That may work for you and half the price of a Rink.

http://armasayala.com/gb/weapons-acc...C3%A4nnel.html

The Mannel parameters are there in the table.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Thanks for that tip. I had never heard of Mannel. I will have a good look at their site, but certainly the price is very attractive. I can't see the 7degree twist as an option. Did you get one or just work around It because of the good fit?
    Lundy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Send you hand measurements and a scan of your hand to Rink, let them know you are right handed cross dominant, I did and the resulting grip was spot on.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Hi Lundy
    No they do not do a 7 deg twist, I have added some filler at the back of the grip to point the sights to my left eye.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Nige
    Sorry to be dense, but when you say scan your hand, do you mean in flat bed scanner? Did you do anything else, like scan with a ruler at same time etc?
    I do sort of have my heart set on a laminate grip -looks very snazzy and the poor LP1 is a bit plain jane!

Lundy,

As an aside :

I got a 'medium' Rink grip for my Baikal MP46M.

The grip is superb, but I was surprised that with the palm shelf at its lowest position, the grip only just fitted my hand (and I do not have large hands).

I don't know if Rink grips, in general, err on the small side, but in this case they did.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Large a bit small

I find with large I am on the limit. They do tend to be a bit on the small side. But it's different between the brands of pistol.
    Think with all my gun changing I have purchased about 12 Rink Grips.
    I usually modify the palm shelf to give a bit more room and allow for my hand being bigger in the summer.
    Had an x large Rink once. But that didn't suit.

Russ and a nick -looks like they are slightly on the small size then. Maybe Nige's suggestion to mail them a scan might help. But great to see very positive feedback on rink grips.
    Lundy

Hi, appologies for the delay in responding,

I used a flat bed scanner and to produce a direct print, this was then marked with measurement lines accurately done with a ruler showing the width of my hand just behind the joints and also the length of my trigger finger and overal length of hand, I rescanned and emailed explaining that I was also cross dominant, within a day I got a reply telling me what to order, this was for an LP10, the fit was perfect. About a year later I changed to Morini, I emailed again and they made me a morini grip from my original Steyr order as they already had my details, it was again spot on. They do tend to be a more snug fit than Morini or Steyr but if you measurements are correct this just gives a better fitting grip, I wouldn't hesitate in buying another.

Cheers Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Nige- thanks for that, really helpful. I think I will give them a go and try the handscan!
    Lundy

As a matter of interest I have owned a few LP1 and LP1P match pistols over the years and some of them have had the current LP2/LP10 type of grip fitted instead of the correct original LP1 type.

This may not help much with your r/h grip with l/h eye dominance but I know this grip has been used by some with the same grip/eye combination as your own - but it may well have been a compromise to save cost and would have probably been less successful than having one specifically made to suite.

This grip is a direct fit so if there is an LP2 or LP10 in your club maybe you could give the grip a try to see if it works any better for you than the original LP1 grip and if so it could be a less expensive option and available "off the shelf" or used without the 8 week wait for RINK to make one for you.

Having said that, I totally agree that a custom made RINK grip is by far the best option if you want to do the job properly.

I bought a pistol with exactly the type of RINK r/h grip you need - but I am right eye dominant - and although I enjoy custom making and modifying grips for my own use - it took ages and a lot of time to convert this grip back to being suitable for r/h use with r/h dominant eye, so there really are some significant differences to position the pistol correctly in line for r/h use with a dominant left eye if you buy the correct grip from RINK.

I do not use any filler on my grips and I only work with wood and I like the finished grip to look at least as good as a new factory made one, but now I have experienced the work-load and time needed to convert one from l/h dominant to r/h dominant I can see just how much is changed between the two types and I would not be in a hurry to make a conversion like this again.

If you decide to buy a new RINK grip to suite your requirements I am sure you will be happy with it as they are well made and generally fit and do the job brilliantly.

As a matter of interest I have found the medium size Steyr grip fits the size of my hand well enough but to get the same sort of size from RINK it is important to order a large size as they are a little less generous in overall dimension as far as hand size and fit is concerned.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Bob, thank you for your insight on that . I think custom is the right way to go because as you say, the difference is significant and at the moment, im trying to compensate with my stance, hold and twisted trigger, none of which help my poor performance! As a mildly interesting aside, a chap at the club last night brought in his new( to him) Original 10. I remember these from the club when I first shot in my early teens 35 years ago and the envy I felt at the guy who had one. Having said that, I had a go last night and god was the grip uncomfortable! The rear of the palm swell stuck into your palm like having a marble in your shoe. In spite of that, I wasn't shooting much worse than I do with my LP1!! Picking the LP back up afterwards made you realise how comfy the grip is and how much lighter it is. It definitely made me think about my technique more and what I might need to do to improve, beyond buying a better grip.