Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the facts about Walther?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I feel like I'm confessing to something...but I really like my LGV
    The stock isn't pretty but it fits (competition ultra stock with adj. comb). The trigger works just fine for me. It's super quiet with a stubby little delrin moderator. And most importantly of all....it hits what I aim it at. It's not the least bit hold sensitive.
    I may buy an LGV someday, as they do shoot nice, but the LGU doesn't seem to stack up against a mildly tuned the TX or 77/97.

Out of the box it has a nice firing cycle, due to the stoke, but spending £20 on the competition and they leapfrog the Walther completely.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The "best bits" are only the design of the rotating piston with delrin bearings in my mind. Nothing that hasn't been in the TX for years.
    I can't quite work out how something that feels so "cheaply" made, is actually so heavy. I'm not a fan at all
    Yes I can't think of any other break barrel with a rotating piston
    I wonder why there has been two changes to the original piston AA got it right first go.

On an earlier thread someone mentioned some parts being made of sintered metal. This is a cheaper method of making cast parts because metal powder is forced into a die and does not required full melting heat to fuse the particals together to form the component shape, and little or no machining is required afterwards. Not usually a problem with them although we had problems with some Ruger 9mm pistols in the 80's.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Parts of the LGV are of a very high standard, including of course the barrel, but it is let down by a poorly designed stock, a trigger and safety arrangement which can be very problematical, the use of a cheap nasty alloy trigger block, and a cocking lever that is only held in place by an insert in the stock.

Remarkably, despite these issues, it shoots better than it has any right to.

At 12fpe in 177 it Knocks seven shades of the proverbial out of the HW95 or 80 or any other break barrel I can think of. I've had endless problems with the trigger/safety arrangement on mine (finally sorted), and thought many times of replacing it for something else (even an undercover), but I know deep down inside that nothing is going to touch it for accuracy. I have had it for three years now, which is a record for me.

It's recognised as my go to gun down at the club.

I've also had the LGU which shot well, but much preferred the LGV. Much too heavy and I didn't like the underlever arrangement.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 24-03-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    What are the problems that people have with the trigger and safety? Mine has been good as gold
    Good deals with these members

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Wasn't there a synthetic stocked LGV version at the outset that was not available to us ?
    Sort of fancied that for "all weather knock about" pestie work in .22 cal.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Wasn't there a synthetic stocked LGV version at the outset that was not available to us ?
    There was a synth-stocked LGV available in the UK, I think it was the second wave of LGV releases and variants?
    At the time I was strongly considering getting a second LGV as a knock around gun.

edit: just had a look on SWS and it is still available in Germany as the LGV 'challenger', with synth stock, the Competition Ultra has a synth variant too.
    Last edited by eyebull; 24-03-2017 at 12:57 PM.

I have an LGV in .177 with the synthetic stock and it is an excellent rifle. The only thing I have had to do is adjust the trigger. Better than a properly sorted 95 or 80? No -but there again my 95 in .177 and my 80 in .20 are heavily tricked and cost me usefully more than the LGV. Also the non availability of decent after market stocks for the LGV count against it. It is the sort of rifle that I'd spend money on buying a nice CS700 stock for it but not anything more expensive like Gary Cane. And I can't because CS won't make one!
    I've had mine for a few years now and so I must like it!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    There was a synth-stocked LGV available in the UK, I think it was the second wave of LGV releases and variants?
    At the time I was strongly considering getting a second LGV as a knock around gun.

edit: just had a look on SWS and it is still available in Germany as the LGV 'challenger', with synth stock, the Competition Ultra has a synth variant too.
    Yes, one of those may have been the one, it was shown on the German site just as the range were being introduced !
    Seem to remember it ended in "Ultra" ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Yes, one of those may have been the one, it was shown on the German site just as the range were being introduced !
    Seem to remember it ended in "Ultra" ?
    That would have been the Competition Ultra in synthetic guise then. Not sure if that version ever made it over here, but I definitely saw a synthetic Challenger in Ronnie Sunshines a few years ago.

Just in case anyone asks, barrel-makers Lothar Walther is a different company from the Walther that is part of the Umarex group of companies.

Yes,it was the Challenger.

Same as the LGV Ultra action sat in a synthetic stock with a different fore sight attachment or same barrel weight as the Ultra called a Challenger Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Yes,it was the Challenger.

Same as the LGV Ultra action sat in a synthetic stock with a different fore sight attachment or same barrel weight as the Ultra called a Challenger Ultra.
    So confusing. They shouldn't have had so many different models, I think they spread themselves too thin.

in fifty years of buying and Shooting air rifles the lgv is the best out of the box air rifle I have ever shot
    and if you look Back on my posts or ask Terry Doe I was one of the First Haters ( because of the Finish of the early ones )

Yep still a lot of doubters on the LGV ,its a rifle that you could open up the box & shoot confidently with out even looking inside it.
    So long as its the 25mm LGV & not the Century that does need a little sorting.

Sure not everything on it is perfect but they shoot well.