Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size of pellet to size to 4.52?

Size of pellet to size to 4.52?

I get a couple of flyers in a 50 shot benchrest, so im going to try sizing the pellets.

My friend has bought a 4.52mm sizing tool, and pushes AA field 4.52mm pellets thru it. He says he gets a tighter group.

My Rapid seems to also group best on AA fields at 4.52, so should I just stick those 4.52 thru it, or drop some 4.53 thru and size them all down to 4.52? Not sure of the pellet damage with sizing bigger pellets down?

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The sizes in a tin vary wildly! I would buy the biggest you can and run them through. It's often the case that the actual size they're reduced to is less important than them all being the same.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    As above - consistency is the key, not initial size as the dies are not capable of producing pellets to 0.01 of an inch with any degree of accuracy. People have used very accurate micrometres to measure pellet sizes like 4.5/4.51/4.52/4.53 - only to not be able to tell which tin they came out of!

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Do Pellet sizers alter the head size? Or just the skirt? I thought the barrel did that.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post
    Do Pellet sizers alter the head size? Or just the skirt? I thought the barrel did that.
    Anything thats bigger when it goes in comes out at the designated size.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The sizes in a tin vary wildly! I would buy the biggest you can and run them through. It's often the case that the actual size they're reduced to is less important than them all being the same.
    Generally this and in my experiance, the majority of pellets in a tin are smaller than the stated size !
    Some batches are better than others though and has been discussed on here on various threads over the last six months or so, this can vary year to year.
    I've used batches from 2016 which are pretty good !

I should add, my experiance has been with the "JSB made Family" of pellets.
    “An airgun or two”………

Ok, thanks, will have a try at sizing some jsb 4.53 down a bit.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Made a sizer, it's a steel bar 12mm square with a number of holes drilled through it, they were all 4.5mm to start with, then I opened them up with a taper pin reamer, each one successively more open than the last.

The reamer has a slope angle of approx 1 in 100, so if I advanced the reamer 100mm I would open out the hole by 1mm. Thus, 10mm advance adds 0.1mm and 1mm advance adds 0.01mm.

I push the pellets all the way through the loosest hole and try a batch. Then another sample through the next tighter hole, and so on. Sometimes the group size will diminish but the flight will be lower so a re-zero is called for.

I do the same with 22 cal pellets for my S410. Some pellets have a skirt just a shade too large to go into the magazine so I use a sizer just to correct that. JSB Exacts in 22 are worse at this than the Exact RS pellets which always look better made.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

never sized pellets. one thing i did do was to wash them in washing up liquid, then soak them in a zipwax solution. after a while the wax lines the barrel. it seemed to work.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

How much are there sizers?? and do they make a difference??

Pellet sizer

A good pellet sizer should have a tapered hole and the depth to which you push the pellet should be adjustable.
    You should then push the pellet back out the same way it went in as the head of the pellet should be fractionally smaller than the skirt
    If you push it through a sized hole you will have a parallel pellet
    From memory I think T r Robb used to make them

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    A good pellet sizer should have a tapered hole and the depth to which you push the pellet should be adjustable.
    You should then push the pellet back out the same way it went in as the head of the pellet should be fractionally smaller than the skirt
    If you push it through a sized hole you will have a parallel pellet
    From memory I think T r Robb used to make them
    A slight flaw with your logic. It is quite possible for a tapered hole to have an exit diameter of say 4.51mm, then if you push a pellet of 4.50 actual head size and 4.52 actual skirt size all the way through, the head won't touch the sides and the skirt will be reduced to 4.51.

For my S410 this is exactly what I do with the Exact Jumbo pellets in 22 cal, so that the skirt enters the magazine through the clear plastic cover on the magazine, and all pellets fit first time. I use my sizer and watch the head of the pellet; you can see if the head has been nipped as it leaves a shiny mark. All I have to do is to use the larger hole to avoid this contact.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

You can run pellet all through sizer and the tail still won't be the size of the sizer. Tail's spring back open to a certain degree. Try it.

Just found this in a blog:

All target airguns and most high-quality adult airguns have choked muzzles that squeeze the pellet by one-half of a thousandth of an inch at the muzzle. That automatically sizes all the pellets and negates any other sizing efforts.
    BASC Member

Just an idea how would you know it was the 4.52 pellets firing the best without sizing them first , because most tins will vary in size the best ones could be possibly 4.51 or 4.53 , just a thought don't pull me to pieces lol