Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW45 calibre question

Is this thread for real? Best calibre for shooting baked bean tins? Verily the mind doth boggle!
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

Quote Originally Posted by JCB357 View Post
    Is this thread for real? Best calibre for shooting baked bean tins? Verily the mind doth boggle!
    I'm so sorry your mind is boggled.. It seemed a fair question based on what I enjoy doing. As "plinking" appears to be a fairly common way to spend ones time with an air pistol, I thought I'd ask the opinion of others on here related to the best calibre to use in a specific gun

What do you shoot at with the (mostly Walty) selection of airguns in your sig line? NATO Figure 11 targets?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    What do you shoot at with the (mostly Walty) selection of airguns in your sig line? NATO Figure 11 targets?
    I wouldn't say it's a Walty selection but he does come across as a bit of a bellend. Shoot what you want with what you want, there will always be a best tool for the job.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

I have donned my tin hat and hair shirt. Been shooting for many years and honestly have never heard anyone ask about 'best calibre' for shooting cans before no offence intended OP.

Anyway, and for what it's worth, either calibre would be fine for you. The HW 45 is well able to knock down or drill holes in cans in either cal I do have a preference for .22 but that's because I own a Black Star in this cal. However, if you plan on doing any target shooting then .177 is arguably the better choice.

The only time I shoot cans is use to use up any CO2 remaining in my guns after a session - don't like to put those away without removing the cartridge.

To answer the poster who asked what I shoot at with the guns in my sig, the answer the monthly UBC competitions. Monthly, as I said and I enter a lot of the classes they do. Great fun. I shoot on my outdoor range at 6 yards. Can't quite do 10 mtrs yet (some UBC comps at that distance too) but working on that. All internet based so just send in your results by e-mail. If you like shooting fast then Police Pistol is 'challenging'.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

I have donned my tin hat and hair shirt. Been shooting for many years and honestly have never heard anyone ask about 'best calibre' for shooting cans before no offence intended OP.

Anyway, and for what it's worth, either calibre would be fine for you. The HW 45 is well able to knock down or drill holes in cans in either cal I do have a preference for .22 but that's because I own a Black Star in this cal. However, if you plan on doing any target shooting then .177 is arguably the better choice.

The only time I shoot cans is use to use up any CO2 remaining in my guns after a session - don't like to put those away without removing the cartridge.

To answer the poster who asked what I shoot at with the guns in my sig, the answer the monthly UBC competitions. Monthly, as I said and I enter a lot of the classes they do. Great fun. I shoot on my outdoor range at 6 yards. Can't quite do 10 mtrs yet (some UBC comps at that distance too) but working on that. All internet based so just send in your results by e-mail. If you like shooting fast then Police Pistol is 'challenging'.

No problem at all, cheers for the info'

Dave

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    If you want to "whack" then .22 is the way forward. Also sweeter to shoot as the internals are under less working load than the .177. The larger calibre is great out to 15m especially with a light wadcutter like the previously mentioned RWS Hobby.
    I'll second that!

BigEars Guest
    Don't worry, they'll get round to skirt sizes shortly.