Thread: CO2 Coversions

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

CO2 Coversions

Who used to make CO2 conversions of springers, like the Webley Premier? Has anyone done a prewar BSA underlever or similar? How much work is involved in these? Must be a drop in unit sealed with 'O' rings, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Who used to make CO2 conversions of springers, like the Webley Premier? Has anyone done a prewar BSA underlever or similar? How much work is involved in these? Must be a drop in unit sealed with 'O' rings, no?
    Not CO2, Alistair, but this BSA underlever was turned into a PCP quite recently.

What goes around comes around
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Not CO2, Alistair, but this BSA underlever was turned into a PCP quite recently.

I thought I had asked this before! it is one of those things that nags at me, because I haven't seen one in the metal ....

I was going to suggest Ged, before he went 'supernova' of course. But perhaps he only made the one co2 Webley pistol conversion for himself...
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 24-03-2017 at 02:04 AM.

John Walker of Hull used to do CO2 and PCP conversions on various rifles and pistols, but he no longer does them.
    I have a PCP Webley Mk,II Service and a CO2 Webley Senior, both converted by John.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

Lawrie Amatruda converted a BSA underlever to CO2 last year. Saw it at the Bisley show, all the new internals he made himself and it still looks like the original rifle. The valve hammer is cocked using the underlever. Think it puts out about 8 ft.lb.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    John Walker of Hull used to do CO2 and PCP conversions on various rifles and pistols, but he no longer does them.
    I have a PCP Webley Mk,II Service and a CO2 Webley Senior, both converted by John.
    That's him, John Walker. How does the Service shoot? Must be great with no recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    That's him, John Walker. How does the Service shoot? Must be great with no recoil.
    It shoots really well at around 10.8 ft.lb. with about 40 shots per charge. Minimal movement of the barrel is required for cocking and loading, and as you say, no recoil on firing.
    I just wish I had the opportunity to use it without having to travel miles to do so.

Lawries CO2 conversion

Here are a couple of pics of Lawries CO2 underlever conversion, they are small files and may be not too clear.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Here are a couple of pics of Lawries CO2 underlever conversion, they are small files and may be not too clear.

Baz

Iv'e been fortunate enough to have been able to spend a couple of fascinating mornings in Lawrie's company and was amazed at his extensive collection and innovative modifications. If he had spent his working life in the air gun industry, I reckon we would have some great toys to play with today.

Brian

I've chatted on the phone with Lawrie on numerous occasions, and he's made several bits for me, as well as resealing a couple of CO2 pistols, but haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting up with him.
    I would like to see his Rook Rifle CO2 conversion, for which he sent me some photographs.
    Lawrie and John Walker are friends and converse regularly, and it's a pity that John had to stop doing his conversions because of ill health. I've only seen the two conversions I have, but I know John did quite a few CO2 conversions on many different rifles, most of which I believe are in the USA. As far as I know there are no blueprint drawings for these conversions, as John did them from memory, and only occasionally wrote a few details and sketches down on the back of an envelope, which is all I have for my Service PCP conversion, and nothing on the Senior CO2 conversion, for which I believe John did several modifications over the course of the nine that he did.
    After discussions with Lawrie, he tells me I can use CO2 instead of compressed air to fill my Service, although I haven't tried it yet, but that would certainly be an option to consider.
    I have several Airgun enthusiasts interested in purchasing the PCP Service as it was the only one John did, and it shoots like a dream, but I am extremely reluctant to let it go while there's still a chance I might get to use it.

Lawrie sent me some slightly larger files. You can see the C02 filler valve underneath, and the removable fore end is held in place by rare earth magnets.

Baz

Here's a link to pictures of Lawrie's Rook Rifle CO2 conversion:

http://mynetimages.com/viewalbum/fb86f171/54b2b31544

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Here's a link to pictures of Lawrie's Rook Rifle CO2 conversion:

http://mynetimages.com/viewalbum/fb86f171/54b2b31544
    Amazing, and all carried out in a home workshop.