Thread: TX200SR Ammo ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

TX200SR Ammo ?

Collecting the above in .22 cal. tomorrow which has been in "dry dock" for a while !

I'll be putting the usual JSB family of pellets through it (JSB, AA, Falc. Acc Plus, etc.) but apart from those does any respective "SR owner/shooter" have experiance of or recommend any others ?

Thanx.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Collecting the above in .22 cal. tomorrow which has been in "dry dock" for a while !

I'll be putting the usual JSB family of pellets through it (JSB, AA, Falc. Acc Plus, etc.) but apart from those does any respective "SR owner/shooter" have experiance of or recommend any others ?

Thanx.
    My .22 (now sold ) shot well with pretty much anything. AA 16gr were particularly good. They are astoundingly good air rifles.

Keep a close check on power levels . Mine was 13 ft/lb, with standard internals, just after I bought it.
    Keen but clueless..

Probably be the AADF 5.51 or 5.52's or JSB Jumbo in 5.52
    “An airgun or two”………

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Remove the big heavy steel TH and replace with a delrin one.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Something to consider, Ta !

Not certain what scope to mount on it yet. My other two Tx have Bushnell Legends which are pretty long but I fancy something short and lighter ?
    Likely contenders are;
    Simmons WTC 3.5-10x40.
    Bushnell Legend 3-9x40.
    NS Panamax 3-9x40AO
    Last edited by Blackrider; 25-03-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    “An airgun or two”………

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Hi John. I hope you'll be taking the SR to the Bash, as I would love to be re-aquainted her and compare with my own newly acquired .177 SR.
    When we get to Quigley Hollow we'll have to discuss what her "fettling" consists of
    Clogger

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    A brief guide to SR tuning...

there is a major difference between tuning SRs and other tx's - the stroke cannot be changed (much), as the rear edge of the piston skirt is used to hold the rifle in it's forward position within the sledge when cocked.

So:

1) Throw away the piston weight - the piston is already too heavy -and replace with delrin. Depending on your spring, a new mainspring might be better than spacing the original (althouth they are very high quality)
    2) Either reduce the piston weight further, or reduce the port volume, as it's a fraction too slammy
    3) sleave the port from ~3.8 to around 3.5 OR
    4) remove the comp tube end plug and machine it shorter by ~ 2.5mm - this increases the stroke by 2.5mm (without altering the rear piston skirt position) and reduces the port volume; it also makes cocking effort a bit easier, so is a perfect mod for these IMHO. machine a groove just under the hex nut for a sealing o-ring, and use a bit of threadlock / ptfe tape on the threads.

Oh, and if you want to change calbire it's simple to swap the barrels, and machining a blank up is very straightforwards too
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by CLOGGER View Post
    Hi John. I hope you'll be taking the SR to the Bash, as I would love to be re-aquainted her and compare with my own newly acquired .177 SR.
    When we get to Quigley Hollow we'll have to discuss what her "fettling" consists of
    Clogger
    Hey up Alistair, great to hear you got a nice SR !
    Yup, it'll be down there once I get it up and running and we can discuss next weekend !
    J
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    A brief guide to SR tuning...

there is a major difference between tuning SRs and other tx's - the stroke cannot be changed (much), as the rear edge of the piston skirt is used to hold the rifle in it's forward position within the sledge when cocked.

So:

1) Throw away the piston weight - the piston is already too heavy -and replace with delrin. Depending on your spring, a new mainspring might be better than spacing the original (althouth they are very high quality)
    2) Either reduce the piston weight further, or reduce the port volume, as it's a fraction too slammy
    3) sleave the port from ~3.8 to around 3.5 OR
    4) remove the comp tube end plug and machine it shorter by ~ 2.5mm - this increases the stroke by 2.5mm (without altering the rear piston skirt position) and reduces the port volume; it also makes cocking effort a bit easier, so is a perfect mod for these IMHO. machine a groove just under the hex nut for a sealing o-ring, and use a bit of threadlock / ptfe tape on the threads.

Oh, and if you want to change calbire it's simple to swap the barrels, and machining a blank up is very straightforwards too
    Wow, very concise, many thanks Jon !
    “An airgun or two”………

Managed a "rough zero" this morning close in with a Legend 5-15x40 on a Dampa.
    Put about 60-70 pellets through it and finished off with AADF 5.51's.
    A little dieseling at first but that soon stopped and the gun settled down.
    Heavy and not easy to cock but lovely to shoot, I may change the scope at some stage but the Bushie stays for now !

I'll take it out to 30m later this week !
    “An airgun or two”………

"Home on the Range" today but guess what ?
    33 yards and JSB Exacts 5.5 15.98 gr. were the better group and very accurate !

Funny things air rifles, could have sworn (well I do a lot when pellet testing) one of the AADF's would fit the bill ?

Slight set-back though.... broke the BC cover on the eyebell !
    “An airgun or two”………