Thread: What are the other repeating spring powered pellet pistols besides the Haenel 28-R?

What are the other repeating spring powered pellet pistols besides the Haenel 28-R?

CO2 has taken this niche over, were there other spring powered Repeaters in the past?

One is a very fine pistol from your side of the pond, the Hy-score repeater. As always Trevor is a mine of information: http://cinedux.com/the-hy-score-story.php I am very fond of hy-scores, and concentric designs generally

Record did one as well, the Champion. Not so much hy-score as eyesore IMHO.

There must be others but those are the two that come to mind

Record champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    One is a very fine pistol from your side of the pond, the Hy-score repeater. As always Trevor is a mine of information: http://cinedux.com/the-hy-score-story.php I am very fond of hy-scores, and concentric designs generally

Record did one as well, the Champion. Not so much hy-score as eyesore IMHO.

There must be others but those are the two that come to mind
    Funny I have one and had a brain freeze. Lol It actually is a fascinating mechanism.

I think there was a variant of the Gamo Center/Falcon action with a tube mag feeding the flip-out loading gate. That might have been best with lead ball, though it ought to work with pellets of appropriate length.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Here is a more extensive list

Moderately powered pistols:

Record Champion; Hyscore; JBH 54; El Gamo Falcon R20; EM-GE Zenit M; Haenel (ETW) 55R; Stanley Aero-Para; Schmidt HS71

Low powered:

Haenel 100; Haenel 50; Webley Stinger; Daisy 188; Daisy 288; Daisy Targeteer ;Daisy Bullseye; Crosman V300; Crosman Black Fang; Crosman Black Venom; Excellent Phantom Repeater; Marksman series; Healthways Plainsman Western

The rarest would be the German Stanley Aero-Para from the 1930's - no known example but catalogue data and instruction manual are known. It is a neat overlever pistol of Parabellum appearance.

The second most rare and most desirable would be the Haenel 55R - a post-war German Luger look-alike with detachable magazine.

My favourite of (just about) obtainable pistols is the El Gamo Falcon R20, as it is the simplest mechanism and most reliable.

The greatest fun one IMO in the low powered range is the Healthways Western. A thumb operated cowboy "revolver" look-alike. The only spring air pistol in which the spring is stretched and not compressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Here is a more extensive list

Moderately powered pistols:

Record Champion; Hyscore; JBH 54; El Gamo Falcon R20; EM-GE Zenit M; Haenel (ETW) 55R; Stanley Aero-Para; Schmidt HS71

Low powered:

Haenel 100; Haenel 50; Webley Stinger; Daisy 188; Daisy 288; Daisy Targeteer ;Daisy Bullseye; Crosman V300; Crosman Black Fang; Crosman Black Venom; Excellent Phantom Repeater; Marksman series; Healthways Plainsman Western

The rarest would be the German Stanley Aero-Para from the 1930's - no known example but catalogue data and instruction manual are known. It is a neat overlever pistol of Parabellum appearance.

The second most rare and most desirable would be the Haenel 55R - a post-war German Luger look-alike with detachable magazine.

My favourite of (just about) obtainable pistols is the El Gamo Falcon R20, as it is the simplest mechanism and most reliable.

The greatest fun one IMO in the low powered range is the Healthways Western. A thumb operated cowboy "revolver" look-alike. The only spring air pistol in which the spring is stretched and not compressed.
    Most of those aren't pellet pistols, though.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Most of those aren't pellet pistols, though.
    Sorry, you are right. I didn't read the OP properly.

Once you restrict the list to pellets the list drops dramatically to just the Record Champion, Hyscore, EM-GE Zenit M and Haenel 28R. At least I can't think of any more, other than some interesting one-off prototypes. As you say, in theory the El Gamo R20 should work with the right pellets as it uses a similar principle to the Haenel 28R and Zenit M, but I haven't yet been able to find any that work reliably. The problem is that unlike the Haenel and Zenit, the pellets would have to enter the chamber backwards.

Here the Gamo seems to work with round balls.

https://youtu.be/7DBVSoNQSMk

The Hyscore is a very unique design. I bought one pretty cheap a couple of months ago just to round out my Hy-score collection. I really wasn't expecting much but when I tried it, it is kind of mesmerizing. I really can't figure out how it works? Kind of a self contained carousel, not going to take apart what's working but it was far cooler than I thought it would be. Going to do a UTube on it sometime. Bottom line though it is kind of pellet storage. You cock the gun and then manually turn the mechanism to load. Lawrence was a clever guy.