Thread: gun care

gun care

I have purchased a bisley silicone cloth to wipe my rifles after use, I was curious as to whether it would in time require re-impregnation, so I had a google and wow, what a minefield. Some people believe that silicone is the dogs danglies for all things airgun, some people believe that it shouldn't be put near an air rifle at all....... Confused.......

So,
    1, can I use a silicone cloth to wipe/protect the exterior of my rifles?
    2, is silicone gun oil the same as pure silicone oil?
    3, can I use either silicone product to lubricate/preserve o-rings and seals in my rifles?
    4, what would you recommend to wipe down and protect the exterior of my rifles (gun oil/ballistol/etc)?
    5, if the bisley silicone cloth is a good thing to use, can anyone tell me what type of silicone it would be impregnated with?

Many thanks in advance for any answers.

1 yes.
    2 no.
    3 yes
    just do not use sillycone grease by mistake. if you want to go mad i have lots of MS4.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

I'm still using the same Birchwood Casey Gun&Reel Silicone Cloth for about ten years and still works well.

The Viking,

For me, I don't like using silicone impregnated cloths.

I prefer to make up my own 'preserving' cloths.

I use Selvyt cloths, and spray them with a suitable preserving oil mixed with penetrating oil (3in1 Penetrating oil from Halfords) - 25% preserving oil to 75 % penetrating oil,
    and put the mix into a small spray bottle (Sainsburys - in the Travel aisle)

I am currently using Ballistol Gunex for the preserving bit. Breakfree CLP, Fastex, 3in1 and many other oils are very suitable.

(The advantage of using these oils, is that they contain 'serious' anti-corrosion elements - with the silicone cloths you do not know whether they contain just silicones, or if they also have a decent anti-corrosion component.)

Spray the Selvyt until damp with the oil mix, fold cloth and put in a sealed bag (ziplock type is best).

When the cloth gets dirty, wash and re-proof.

If you think it is getting a bit dry, give it a quick top-up spray.

WRT O-rings - I use ATF (Dexron type - Millers Millermatic) or heavy weight motor-cylce fork oil (30 wt Silkolene).

Both of these are less expensive, and with a 1 litre pack, you get enough to last several lifetimes

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by trowel View Post
    I'm still using the same Birchwood Casey Gun&Reel Silicone Cloth for about ten years and still works well.
    I'm still using a Garcia one. Had it for about 37/38 years.

I use a small drop of Abbey Silicone Gun Oil with it. A tiny amount goes a long, long way and protects the bluing and woodwork. Just be very careful not to get silicone product on any metal to metal contact areas and you're fine,
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

My cleaning regime may be a bit too much for some, but I enjoy doing it. Everytime I have finished using a rifle I will always rub it down with a silicone cloth, now using Browning Legia Spray on it (instead of a silicone spray).
    Then every few weeks I will clean all my guns with Beeswax on the stocks and Renaissance wax over everything. I probably do not need to do it, but I love cleaning things and the smell from the rifles when finished is lovely. I also have spent 12 hours cleaning my cars so maybe a little OCD is creeping in or I am just mad. Before you ask I won't clean your Car, hmmmm unless you do my gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    My cleaning regime may be a bit too much for some, but I enjoy doing it. Everytime I have finished using a rifle I will always rub it down with a silicone cloth, now using Browning Legia Spray on it (instead of a silicone spray).
    Then every few weeks I will clean all my guns with Beeswax on the stocks and Renaissance wax over everything. I probably do not need to do it, but I love cleaning things and the smell from the rifles when finished is lovely. I also have spent 12 hours cleaning my cars so maybe a little OCD is creeping in or I am just mad. Before you ask I won't clean your Car, hmmmm unless you do my gardening.
    Whatever floats you boat if you enjoy doing something keep doing it , better than seeing your investment deteriorate for want of a bit of loving care
    Rod

Mate, if it makes you happy while your on this god awful planet, you keep it up! I know I would if I had the time!
    BASC Member

no time for gardening. same here. my guns and bar get the beeswax treatment.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Silicon is no good for metal to metal surfaces where it will cause gaulling og the metal which is thoroughly bad news. So on the pivot point of a break barrel it will cause the articulated bit to sieze and turn it to scrap.

I dont go near any form of silicone whatsoever.

Clean lint free cloth in a placcy bag and some decent gun oil and its good to go
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill