Thread: Bell target mini collection

Bell target mini collection

Not sure how much this might interest people. but I have a small collection of Bell targets of various ages, some info is added to each photo. The last three are all made by myself; to my own desighn, 3rd last is 1/3 size, so that a 'handle-able' target could be used to show people the principles and from just 6ft looks the same as a full size one at 18ft; the second last was made because a comment was made about how useful it would be to have one that looked the same, but pretty much at arms length, hence this one is 1/6 size [ the hole being 1/16"]; looks the same at 3ft, the last one was just me being silly, size = 1/12th, the hole size is 1/32" [0.75mm]. All of them are fully functional but as yet have no light or sound, W. I. P.
    Have a browse, not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but someone might like them and there is some history for people interested in Bell Target per se.
    Cheers ATVB
    abellringer
    http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/ra...LECTION%202017

Thanks for the post, very interested to see the different mechanisms used.

We use Red Bobs version shooting directly onto the bell, a low tech solution but it's OK so far.

Looks like a nice project to make some with similar mech's to the ones in your album.

Thanks Ray,

You have a fine collection there.

I can guess what ARC means but what does WMPTE stand for? Do you know the age and history of this target?

Kind regards,

John

Very interesting, I've been interested in target and their designs for a few months but I can't find much.

Lovely collection

This is an interesting old one one of my friends has in his collection.
    When you hit the bulls eye the duck pops up and the bell rings. I believe it is a Quackenbush bell target

https://www.flickr.com/photos/288792.../shares/7E10Zk
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

John Hi. WMPTE stands for West Midlands Public Transport Executive. This was a bell target club that ran with two teams in the 70' and 80's [maybe even early 90's]. Based at the WMPTE social club in Horsley Fields. Wolverhampton; sadly now long disbanded, there was a second target but I have no idea where it may be now. As far as I know it would have been made mid 70's; many of the clubs at the time had engineering based members who made a target for their club; the Wolverhampton Air Rifle League was started I believe in late 1971 or 1972.
    The three smaller targets are all the same mechanically, made to my design, which takes some assorted ideas and jumbles them together, to make a mechanism that's not too difficult to make. A while ago Milbro took an interest in the design but for their own resaons decided not to produce them, sad really as there are often requests for buying Bell targets, but as with everything, small quantity's cost more.
    Just seen the photo of the target with the duck, wow!!, amazing pice of kit, history on that would be good. [had to edit my post after seeing that]
    Cheers
    abellringer

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    John Hi. WMPTE stands for West Midlands Public Transport Executive. This was a bell target club that ran with two teams in the 70' and 80's [maybe even early 90's]. Based at the WMPTE social club in Horsley Fields. Wolverhampton; sadly now long disbanded, there was a second target but I have no idea where it may be now. As far as I know it would have been made mid 70's; many of the clubs at the time had engineering based members who made a target for their club; the Wolverhampton Air Rifle League was started I believe in late 1971 or 1972.
    The three smaller targets are all the same mechanically, made to my design, which takes some assorted ideas and jumbles them together, to make a mechanism that's not too difficult to make. A while ago Milbro took an interest in the design but for their own resaons decided not to produce them, sad really as there are often requests for buying Bell targets, but as with everything, small quantity's cost more.
    Just seen the photo of the target with the duck, wow!!, amazing pice of kit, history on that would be good. [had to edit my post after seeing that]
    Cheers
    abellringer
    Thanks Ray,

That's a lovely bit of provenance.

Kind regards,

John

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Shot bell target late 60's. Now got Red Bob.

Kat