Thread: Mercury 'S' MK1 Carbine ?

Mercury 'S' MK1 Carbine ?

Does anyone know if BSA ever produced the MK1 Mercury 'S' with a Carbine length barrel?
    I've never herd of one but wondered if any of you had.

MK1 Mercury 'S' Carbine

I don't think so but the barrels are easy to swap a supersport carbine one might fit ?

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I don't think so but the barrels are easy to swap a supersport carbine one might fit ?
    Yes it probably would fit I think but I'm not actually trying to create an 'S' Carbine though, I just wondered if BSA ever actually made one from the factory as a MK1 'S' Carbine with the heavy barrel that an 'S' has as standard.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    No. I never saw any advertised at the time the S series started.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    As far as I know, the heavier 'S' series barrels came about in the 80s which is later than the production run of the Mk1 Mercury - so not very likely. (but I may be wrong)

I have a project Mk2 Mercury that I intend to fit a carbine .25 cal barrel I have to, if I ever get around to it!
    I suppose I would be better off acquiring a nice Mercury 'S' to fit the barrel to though?

atb

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    No. I never saw any advertised at the time the S series started.
    No, me neither HM. ; )
    I think they Did off a heavy carbine option for the MK2 'S' though but not sure?
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    As far as I know, the heavier 'S' series barrels came about in the 80s which is later than the production run of the Mk1 Mercury - so not very likely. (but I may be wrong)

I have a project Mk2 Mercury that I intend to fit a carbine .25 cal barrel I have to, if I ever get around to it!
    I suppose I would be better off acquiring a nice Mercury 'S' to fit the barrel to though?

atb

ASM
    That's a difficult one. The 'S' came with the heavy barrel & a walnut stock. If your going to fit a none 'S' .25 barrel your going to loose the original heavy one anyway & you may be able to source a nice 'S' stock or other nice beech Mercury stock for your project. Then; short of the 'S' pivot bolt your there.

Quote Originally Posted by kennp View Post
    That's a difficult one. The 'S' came with the heavy barrel & a walnut stock. If your going to fit a none 'S' .25 barrel your going to loose the original heavy one anyway & you may be able to source a nice 'S' stock or other nice beech Mercury stock for your project. Then; short of the 'S' pivot bolt your there.
    It's the improved 'S' pivot breech bolt that attracts me - I could probably make my own stock.
    The barrel I have may be a 'heavier' one - I will have to check?

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

It's the improved 'S' pivot breech bolt that attracts me - I could probably make my own stock.
    The barrel I have may be a 'heavier' one - I will have to check?

ASM
    I know you've got a mk2 Merc so no bolt but you could widen your choice other than the more expensive 'S' you could go for a late production Mercury because I know some of those came with the breech pivot bolt too as standard.
    Then you would have your .25 (hopefully heavy) barrel, you do the stock & the gun would have the pivot bolt & there you are.

I know you've got a mk2 Merc so no bolt but you could widen your choice other than the more expensive 'S' you could go for a late production Mercury because I know some of those came with the breech pivot bolt too as standard.
    Then you would have your .25 (hopefully heavy) barrel, you do the stock & the gun would have the pivot bolt & there you are.
    Thanks for that hint mate - I actually like the shape of the front of the stocks on the later stocks (extended/rounded) indeed, if it were necessary for me to make a new stock - I would probably extend the stock forwards in this area considerably although it would have to be forked to allow the barrel to drop/cock the action - I think it could be done sympathetically.
    I have always liked the Mercury rifle and would like a 'special' on these lines - who knows - some day!
    Just had a thought - were the actions on the later Mercury rifles painted as opposed to 'Blued' finish?

ASM

Thanks for that hint mate - I actually like the shape of the front of the stocks on the later stocks (extended/rounded) indeed, if it were necessary for me to make a new stock - I would probably extend the stock forwards in this area considerably although it would have to be forked to allow the barrel to drop/cock the action - I think it could be done sympathetically.
    I have always liked the Mercury rifle and would like a 'special' on these lines - who knows - some day!
    Just had a thought - were the actions on the later Mercury rifles painted as opposed to 'Blued' finish?

ASM
    I think only very early Mercury's were painted; the late ones, & certainly the ones with the pivot bolt, were all blued finish.

I think only very early Mercury's were painted; the late ones, & certainly the ones with the pivot bolt, were all blued finish.
    Thanks again, the mk2 Mercury I have has a blued finish, so it's a guess that not all of them were painted/blued - as usual, with BSA, it's some were and some were not!

ASM

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I've never seen a carbine S barrel on a Merc (my Airsporter S carbine has the 17mm barrel), the mk3 and 4 Mercs (as well as the Challengers) had the pivot bolt and the two piece articulated cocking lever, there's not many nice stocks about anymore (on their own with out action) and if they turn up they are normally on the bay and go for stupid money, I'm toying with the idea of making a stock for my Merc but I'm a little afraid to try as there's a lot more involved than just cutting and sanding a piece of wood, I don't fancy wasting a piece of walnut or laminate because I make a massive cockup, I was thinking of asking Custom Stocks if they can do one of their stocks without the inletting and try to fit the Merc action in myself.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in