Thread: BSA Cadet questions...stock screws and piston/washer

BSA Cadet questions...stock screws and piston/washer

Hi all,

Working on a BSA Cadet that was given to the club...a front stock screw is missing, is it a 2BA thread?...if so a 2BA 1-1/8" steel cheesehead should do as a replacement?

Also, is this a standard fitting for the piston washer? (another pic) I adapted a 1" leather seal. Used a bit of a drinks can and a jubilee clip to hold the washer square whilst it was screwed it on by hand, and then nipped it up with molegrips. Spun it in the lathe to size it...and here it is ready for some neatsfoot oil, used the old knackered washer as a backing washer.

Gun shoots nicely now, just need to clean up the outside a little but not too much, it is a club gun.
    blah blah

PJB on here is yer Cad Man, I'll tell him your here

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    I believe the screw you're talking about is 2BA. I have seen a couple of variations, if you have the other original one if you get a photo of it to me I will see if I have a spare matching one for you.
    I've seen variations on the piston washer too with yours being one if them. Looks like you made a nice job of the replacement. Atb Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    PJB on here is yer Cad Man, I'll tell him your here
    Cheers Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    I believe the screw you're talking about is 2BA. I have seen a couple of variations, if you have the other original one if you get a photo of it to me I will see if I have a spare matching one for you.
    I've seen variations on the piston washer too with yours being one if them. Looks like you made a nice job of the replacement. Atb Phil
    Thanks for the info, Phil.

Here is a pic of the one remaining screw
    (is it original?), and a pic of the serial number, as you can probably tell it is never going to be a beauty but it should clean up ok. Been using it in the shed for a while, it smoked for the first 2 shots but very quickly settled down to a nice smooth firing cycle with a little poke considering it wouldn't clear a pellet from the barrel beforehand.

If you do have a spare stock screw then yes please...would it be too cheeky to ask if you have a spare spring washer for the rear bolt too? (although could probably make that from an old gat spring...edit: or a bit of an old flat Gem mainspring should suffice )

I'm happy to swap screw and/or spring washer for leather piston and breech seals or pay for them, whatever is your fancy?
    Last edited by DCL_dave; 26-03-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    blah blah

I don't think that screw is original,if it is I've never seen one I don't think. I may have a spare washer,let me have a dig through my spares after work tomorrow and I will get back to you,Atb Phil

I just unscrewed this from a BC serial Cadet if it helps. The unthreaded section is thinner than the thread width I notice.
    In my earlier B serial they are shorter, fully threaded and countersunk heads though.
    In my CB Cadet Major they are as the photo.
    It would seem there is more than one type and for your gun they must be the later type as in my pic..... maybe

Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    I just unscrewed this from a BC serial Cadet if it helps. The unthreaded section is thinner than the thread width I notice.
    In my earlier B serial they are shorter, fully threaded and countersunk heads though.
    It would seem there is more than one type and for your gun they must be the later type as in my pic..... maybe

That's the type I was expecting to see. Never seen a later style stock with anything other than this type. The earlier stock has diffrent screws but again not like the remaining one Dave has

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post

Thanks Steve,

Now know what it should look like in form, and it's nothing like what I have! (and this is not the first Cadet I have seen, just never paid any notice before)...but that doesn't look too difficult to make/adapt from a standard screw by turning the threaded section off...or I may just use a shouldered screw if I can source them.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    That's the type I was expecting to see. Never seen a later style stock with anything other than this type. The earlier stock has diffrent screws but again not like the remaining one Dave has
    Thanks Phil, had a PM from Guy (ggggr) suggesting the front stock screw should be 1ba or 7/32bsf?...someone should write a bleeding book, I suggest it be called - Fun With BSA Thread Sizes (or how to loose hair and infuriate people)!
    blah blah

Looks like a suck it n see on the screws then Dave, there's a chance the cylinder has been re tapped I guess. PM incoming regarding the stock washer.