Thread: Scope Zero query

Scope Zero query

I have a Richter 4-16x50 IR with side wheel range adjustment and recently it's proving to be inconsistent in it's shot placement. It's atop a HW98 .177 which until recently was a real tack driver
    (and great at long range too hitting the bucket over 60 times out of about 70 shots at the Boinger Bash)

The problem is that after a couple of shots impacting approximately on the point of aim, at 20 yards it then shoots low about 6inches then the next shot maybe in the vicinity of the first 2 then it shoots high an inch or so then the next one can be about 4 inches low. The discrepancy is all on the vertical (elevation) plane as there is little or no differential in the horizontal (windage) plane. The scope and stock screws are all tight and I've tried 3 different pellets JSBs Weihrauch and Air Arms which all were on target previously.
    All were shot from a bench rest where previously I could obtain 5p groups at 30 yards.

Can it be due to some internal fault with the reticle and if so are these scopes fixable and if so who can carry it out??

There is no obvious surface damage to the scope or rifle but it may have fallen over in the bag at some point and focuses fine and the clarity is good.

Hoping that some of you may have some suggestions to a solution.
    Atb
    Graeme
    Last edited by VALE BOY; 26-03-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Were you changing magnification or parralax?

If not, and assuming you have eliminated stock screws, mount screws, etc, and any other mechanical fault (have you tried the same rifle with a different scope?) then it is very likely that, to use a technical term, your scope is buggered. It is probably uneconomical to repair, unless still under a warranty or guarantee.

Not something silly power wise? If it's only a change up and down I'd be checking power as well. I had something similar and it was a nick in the breach seal.

How's the breech lock-up? I had an FWB once with a worn breech, which shot "groups" in a vertical line.

If you have 2 guns and 2 scopes, try swapping them to see if the problem persists.

Hi Graeme - check that the eyebell isnt loose or that you havent screwed the fast focus out too much.. like geezer says, get a different scope on there.. that gun deserves a much better scope than that richter anyway.. the one on your fenman was cracking!
    BTW Ive not forgotton about you - I straightened that 90 barrel and put the TBT kit in your 57, it needs some more attention though - Ive also stuck a wee scope on the 90 for you, nothing special, just an old jap 4x40 that was in my box... The C1 will have to wait as my lathe is being temperamental just now... its asking me for a service I think!!!
    Donald

Thanks for your advice, lads...I'm going to swap scopes with another rifle and try them out and see what the outcome is... A process of elimination and trial and error. I'm sure the rifle isn't to blame as I'm pretty certain the power is consistent but I'll find out next time I'm at the range.
    I was wondering if the reticle can appear to be intact -which it seems to be- but somehow move internally and result in inconsistent points of impact? And is the reticle assembly accessible via the turrets?

In my experience the reticle is under the eyebell and all the scope I've had apart use two pieces of spring steel to move a lens.
    I've repaired a couple of old scopes with broken reticle in the past, using some of the missuses long golden locks!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    Thanks for your advice, lads...I'm going to swap scopes with another rifle and try them out and see what the outcome is... A process of elimination and trial and error. I'm sure the rifle isn't to blame as I'm pretty certain the power is consistent but I'll find out next time I'm at the range.
    I was wondering if the reticle can appear to be intact -which it seems to be- but somehow move internally and result in inconsistent points of impact? And is the reticle assembly accessible via the turrets?
    Well, I had a rattly scope but you couldn't see anything moving but you could hear it and it did wreak havoc with poi.

Changed the scope and all was back to to normal again so what you suggest is a possibility.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Lavin View Post
    Well, I had a rattly scope but you couldn't see anything moving but you could hear it and it did wreak havoc with poi.

Changed the scope and all was back to to normal again so what you suggest is a possibility.

Rob.
    Internal lenses have rattled loose due to the bi-directional recoil produced by a springer, had this issue more times than I care to shake a shitty stick at, I now use 'springer rated' scopes only and for extra peace of mind I use a 'Sportsmatch Dampa-mount' on all my springers...

Ps, a faint ticking can be heard from inside the scope when you give it a shake, am I correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Internal lenses have rattled loose due to the bi-directional recoil produced by a springer, had this issue more times than I care to shake a shitty stick at, I now use 'springer rated' scopes only and for extra peace of mind I use a 'Sportsmatch Dampa-mount' on all my springers...

Ps, a faint ticking can be heard from inside the scope when you give it a shake, am I correct ?
    Mine was a proper rattle! Sounded like a loose lens - not really sure how it affected the poi but it certainly seemed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Lavin View Post
    Mine was a proper rattle! Sounded like a loose lens - not really sure how it affected the poi but it certainly seemed to.
    Because the lenses aren't flat light can enter at differing angles so when loose they move around in the carrier and the light enters the lens at a different angle than last time hence the movement of poi...

Ps, the only difference between a normal scope and a springer rated scope is those internal lenses are secured differently, from what I can make of it the lens carrier 'locking rings' are secured with 'loctite' so they can't be worked loose by the bi-directional recoil, I've no idea why they don't just do this to all scopes...
    Last edited by TORNADOS7; 29-03-2017 at 02:48 PM.

There's no glue in high end springer scopes. They're just designed not to break.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    There's no glue in high end springer scopes. They're just designed not to break.
    If not 'loctite' then what's the difference between a normal scopes internals and a 'springer rated' scopes internals that enables them to withstand the recoil ?

First of all many thanks for the various responses to this puzzling situation ..
    But it's taken a new twist !

Richter Optik scope update..

Well as I said I was going to do previously, I swapped the Richter from my HW98 which was performing inconsistently ( variations in the vertical elevation as much as 8 inches at 20 yards range) for a Hawke 4-16x50 from my Tx200 .
    I put the Richter onto the TX and once zeroed it shot 10 pence groups regularly at 30yards .. However the Hawke now attached to the HW98 was producing similar results to the Richter previously. So it appears the gun is to blame and not the scope.

The breech lock up and the breech seal seem to be fine and the stock screws are tight. There were occasional variations in the Muzzle Velocity through the chrono but not but nothing drastic enough to create these large point of impact variations.

So it remains a bit of a puzzle as the gun cocks and shoots smoothly without any mechanical graunching.
    I guess I'll have to have a look inside and see what state the piston seal and spring are in.

I can vaguely remember accidentally dry firing the gun a few weeks ago when the pellet must have slipped out when closing the breech and of course if went off with a resounding bang.

So once again, any suggestions or speculations for what's causing this are most a welcome.
    Cheers Graeme