Thread: AirGunner

AirGunner

A decent edition this month with something for everyone.
    Just a couple of things from the review of the Daystate Wolverine 2, written by the editor, that stuck in my craw.
    Firstly he talks about the fact that the rifle can't be double loaded. He says "It's just this kind of innovation that is the future of hunting airguns and I applaud Daystate for taking the lead."
    Well, sorry mate, but Weihrauch took the lead with that feature several years ago.
    Secondly, and this isn't quite as objective, but he says that Daystate are the only manufacturer offering a reflex silencer that overlaps the barrel shroud to give full noise suppression with minimal length. This is true but is explained by the fact that they're crap and anyone who wants proper suppression on their Daystate opts for a Huggett shroud and silencer.
    Some great features though and a nice read.

Chris

I think the magazine has improved immensely over the past year or so.

Many good articles.

And I'm especially enjoying Mr Chillingworth's mini series on improving the TX and how he has bitten the springer bug.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
    A decent edition this month with something for everyone.
    Just a couple of things from the review of the Daystate Wolverine 2, written by the editor, that stuck in my craw.
    Firstly he talks about the fact that the rifle can't be double loaded. He says "It's just this kind of innovation that is the future of hunting airguns and I applaud Daystate for taking the lead."
    Well, sorry mate, but Weihrauch took the lead with that feature several years ago.
    Secondly, and this isn't quite as objective, but he says that Daystate are the only manufacturer offering a reflex silencer that overlaps the barrel shroud to give full noise suppression with minimal length. This is true but is explained by the fact that they're crap and anyone who wants proper suppression on their Daystate opts for a Huggett shroud and silencer.
    Some great features though and a nice read.

Chris
    I put a SAK moderator on my Huntsman Regal XL and it sounded like a child farting. I then put the HW on and I couldn't even hear the childs fart. I took them both off as they were boringly quiet. I guess if you are reviewing one of these high value items you need to repeat a few words of the blurb that the manufacturer wants people to hear or read as the important sales points. It doesn't hurt really as most of us can see through it.

A.G

To be fair to Phill, he was also talking about the Wolverine's 'lift-bolt safety' feature, where the rifle won't fire until the bolt is fully closed, and this was included in the 'innovation'.

Thanks for the positive comments, chaps, they really are appreciated and I'll pass them on to Phill.

All the best.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Daystate Wolverine 2

I was lucky enough to win a brand new Daystate Wolverine 2 (.177) in the end of season raffle at the Midlands Daystate Hunter series. I have put a few pellets through it with and without a moderator, there is a difference, the mod (HW) does reduce the rapport to virtually silent, a match for the reflex silencer on my Daystate Platinum; there is a hammer noise at my end and not much else, oh by the way, the reflex silencer does not fit over the shroud on the Wolverine like it does on the shroud of the Platinum, in case anyone was thinking of trying.

Ian
    HW100KT .177 MTC Mamba light 3-12x44
    Daystate Mk4 Platinum .177 MTC Viper10x44 (HFT)

Quote Originally Posted by A458 View Post
    I was lucky enough to win a brand new Daystate Wolverine 2 (.177) in the end of season raffle at the Midlands Daystate Hunter series. I have put a few pellets through it with and without a moderator, there is a difference, the mod (HW) does reduce the rapport to virtually silent, a match for the reflex silencer on my Daystate Platinum; there is a hammer noise at my end and not much else, oh by the way, the reflex silencer does not fit over the shroud on the Wolverine like it does on the shroud of the Platinum, in case anyone was thinking of trying.

Ian
    Just a heads up mate. Specsavers now do hearing aids. :-)

Chris

Just a heads up mate. Specsavers now do hearing aids. :-)

Chris
    Chris, having used a reflex silencer on a couple of MK4's I was of the opinion that its description as a silencer was far fetched. However, I was placed next lane to Ian at Nomads for the Daystate comp and I was curious as to why his sounded like the preverbial mouse fart. It was as good as any combination of rifle/silencer I have ever used. I just don't get it.

I replaced the shroud and reflex silencer on my Daystate with a Huggett system to be honest there is not much difference between the two
    I think a lot of DS owners put Huggetts on because they are shorter and look cool
    I shot at Furnace mill and shared my rifle with my mate Martin he said it sounded like an angel passing wind with the standard DS combo
    If i remember correctly we came second in the comp 1 point behind Milek

Quote Originally Posted by milek View Post
    Chris, having used a reflex silencer on a couple of MK4's I was of the opinion that its description as a silencer was far fetched. However, I was placed next lane to Ian at Nomads for the Daystate comp and I was curious as to why his sounded like the preverbial mouse fart. It was as good as any combination of rifle/silencer I have ever used. I just don't get it.
    I'm surprised I must say. Maybe it's suited to the Wolverine.
    I've used them on Regals, Classics and MK4s and came to the same conclusion as you.

Chris