Thread: Hatsan Galatian Review

Hatsan Galatian Review

Hi all,

I have a new video on my channel reviewing the Hatsan Galatian in .22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgcPLDFfWnU

Apologies to those Hatsan fans and I expect to get a slating for this video, but they are my thoughts on the rifle.
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

I've shot one and you are being kind.
    As you say treat it like a springer and it's not too bad!

secretagentmole Guest
    1) The sling studs just uncrew and QDs just screw in!
    2) Air cylinder requires depinging.
    3) Not engraved, etched.
    4) Not walnut effect, it is bloody walnut!
    5) Adjust the bloody trigger properly, third screw virtually out, second screw back out by half a turn.
    6) Try getting a pellet that fits properly.
    7) The loading problem with the magazine is cured by common sense.
    8) 4.52mm for .177 and 5.52 for .22, that is what you need!
    9) Reach is narrower on the thumbhole stocks and they do not cost any more!
    10) Accuracy can be improved by setting up the magazines properly, the holes may need opening a bit.

I had Galatians, they were very accurate! I had a carbine, took plenty of rabbits, pigeons and pheasants.
    It is a PCP, you do not need to treat it like a springer! It is because you have the trigger set up improperly!
    You have not set it up right that is all! The Galatian is however now overpriced, Hatsan prices have gone up and for not a lot more you can get a British made PCP (Gamo Coyote).

I shot one at the range and really didnt like it, the trigger and its lenght of pull are horrendous.

To me Turkish walnut isnt proper walnut.

Steve i reallly apreciate honest reviews and opinions.

I await the hissyfit

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post

I had Galatians, they were very accurate! I had a carbine, took plenty of rabbits, pigeons and pheasants.
    It is a PCP, you do not need to treat it like a springer! It is because you have the trigger set up improperly!
    You have not set it up right that is all! The Galatian is however now overpriced, Hatsan prices have gone up and for not a lot more you can get a British made PCP (Gamo Coyote).
    1) The sling studs just uncrew and QDs just screw in!
    Thanks, I was wondering how it worked and I didn't want to mess up the rifle as it wasn't mine.

2) Air cylinder requires depinging.
    Nice to know, why is it not done as standard ?

3) Not engraved, etched.
    Ok, I was trying to be nice and find nice points on the rifle.

4) Not walnut effect, it is bloody walnut!
    Felt plastic to me, but I am sure now you mention it it is walnut.

5) Adjust the bloody trigger properly, third screw virtually out, second screw back out by half a turn.
    I tried and I am not the only one to not like the trigger, see the comments below. It has a hard pull on it and I just could not get it to behave smoothly.

6) Try getting a pellet that fits properly.
    Tried many and if you look at the video section with me explaining the mag loading, you can clearly see the issues of pellets not seated correctly will foul the cycling. It happened to me plenty of times until I worked it out and pushed the pellets home clean on a flat surface.

7) The loading problem with the magazine is cured by common sense.
    See above, common sense would be to design it correctly without these issues.

8) 4.52mm for .177 and 5.52 for .22, that is what you need!
    mmmm, I didn't know this and never checked. I was using AA Diabolo 5.5mm pellets, maybe they were a bit loose, but didn't feel it. I tried other pellets as well and they were worse.

9) Reach is narrower on the thumbhole stocks and they do not cost any more!
    Nice to know for those considering the rifle.

10) Accuracy can be improved by setting up the magazines properly, the holes may need opening a bit.
    I was wondering why I was getting pellets all over the place, this turned out to be binding due to the pellets in the mag not being flush and them sometimes getting deformed. Hence the mag section of the video. Once I sorted this out, it was better but still terrible compared to other rifles I have shot. I had to use it like a springer. Perhaps this is the depinging you mentioned causing it. They should do it as standard if this is a common fault with the rifle.

Overall I really liked the look, specs and price of the rifle. But for me personally it was let down by the weight and the firing action. I am sure many like the rifle and get along with it, but me personally nope.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos