Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW77 Barrel droop

HW77 Barrel droop

I have a old 77 which I fitted a scope on today when I tried to zero I had to wind it almost to the max, I know the scope is OK so is it a common issue to have barrel droop on a 77 or is this unusual.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Its unlikely to be barrel droop as thats something that effects break barrels. Just shim the back of the scope.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Usually it droops UP.

When somebody lets go of the undercover.
    Master Debater

Put a straight edge along the top of the cylinder to the barrel and just check to see if the barrel is not drooping by inspecting the gap between the straight edge and barrel all the way along is even.

It was not uncommon on older 77's to have the breech block slightly slack in the cylinder when the two welds were done, end result is a drooping barrel, adjustable mounts resolves this with no chance of damaging the scope.

Have you had the rifle from new? I ask because I have known a 77 that was quite old and had a replacement trigger block on it. This created sufficient mis-alignment between block and cylinder to give the effect you noticed with a scope when the front mount was on the cylinder and the rear mount on the block. The solution was to put both mounts on the cylinder; just enough space.
    Cheers, Phil

Have you put it over a chrono, the spring may be shagged, atb Daz

I had a barrel bend on one some 20 years ago, the sling fitted detached from the underlever as I was carrying it, swung backwards & the barrel hit the ground bending it

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

One of my older Mk1 HW77s droops, as does my 1980s Diana 52. Neither shows any signs of abuse. It's just how they came from the factory, I think.

So it's not just a b/b thing. In fact, I've had more b/bs with barrels bent upwards (for the obvious reason) that droopers.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD DAZ View Post
    Have you put it over a chrono, the spring may be shagged, atb Daz
    11.3 and accurate ,its just seems to be drooped its the same with different scopes and mounts, I have tried putting the mounts just on the cylinder and not on the trigger block, it is the first underlever I have had this problem, reminds me of a HW 35E I had in the 80's

Ive seen a few '77 with barrel droop. An easy way to check for this with any rifle is to hold the (unloaded ) rifle on its side and view down the edge of the stock. Extend this sight line down the barrel and any droop will easily be seen.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by BALD ERIC View Post
    I have a old 77 which I fitted a scope on today when I tried to zero I had to wind it almost to the max, I know the scope is OK so is it a common issue to have barrel droop on a 77 or is this unusual.
    It may a downward angled barrel
    Use a sports match one piece misnamed 'droop comp' mount
    Nikon 2-7 or 3-9 with massive their moa adjustments are good matches for 77s too - i.e. not much additional weight !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Check the scope mounts are sitting true to the action. It is unlikely that it would be the barrel.

A.G

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Have seen this on a couple of HW97 believe it or not. Get yourself an AOP55 adjustable mount and the job is perfect. Shimming sucks especially with good scopes.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Thanks for all the feed back its defo. the gun I will try an adj mount when funds permit

Thanks for all the feed back its defo. the gun I will try an adj mount when funds permit
    you won't need an aop55, just the standard droop comp for less than half as much from jsr
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34