Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying F size lead shot instead of Gamo 22 lead balls

Buying F size lead shot instead of Gamo 22 lead balls

I read that Gamo 22 round balls are really .215, thus maybe explaining why they roll out the barrel of my Haenel 22 pistol. Did some research and found F shot is 22 cal. You can buy it by the bag.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/584...hot-f-8-lb-jar

Anyone ever try this, before I order 8 lbs of shot that could be a bust? Calculates out to 3500 rounds! Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 27-03-2017 at 01:20 PM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I read that Gamo 22 round balls are really .215, thus maybe explaining why they roll out the barrel of my Haenel 22 pistol. Did some research and found F shot is 22 cal. You can buy it by the bag.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/584...hot-f-8-lb-jar

Anyone ever try this, before I order 8 lbs of shot that could be a bust? Calculates out to 3500 rounds! Lol
    That doesn't look very round - is there a roundness tolerance difference between lead balls & shot?

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    If it does work out, I'll go in for a thousand with you if it's viable postwise.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

You do realize the postage will be about $66 if they use a USPS fixed rate box
    They say the shot is swaged and perfectly round.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    You do realize the postage will be about $66 if they use a USPS fixed rate box
    They say the shot is swaged and perfectly round.
    It's $13 for me I live in USA.

It's $13 for me I live in USA.
    Looks like they are perfectly round but coated with nickel, probably doesn't help the rifling?

Looks like they are perfectly round but coated with nickel, probably doesn't help the rifling?
    Won't be a problem it will deform, the coating is microns thick (if present - no mention of any coating)
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Here are specs: (not intended for airguns)? Got to worry you? I sent an email to the company.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sup...uctinfo/SBK1F/

Probably the diameter is not consistent enough for serious use. Or slightly oversize for any typical BB-power gun. Airgun .22 barrel bore size is actually slightly smaller than .22. Possibly good for a break barrel where the closing action would force the ball into the rifling, automatically sizing it, also probe-loaded magazine guns, where this is done by hand, but on some other guns it may take far too much energy to do so.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I should have guessed when you wrote about gamo .22 balls which my local gun shop could not get any of. Gamo won't import them nor will anybody else. I also have not managed to find any F size shot in the UK either
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Probably the diameter is not consistent enough for serious use. Or slightly oversize for any typical BB-power gun. Airgun .22 barrel bore size is actually slightly smaller than .22. Possibly good for a break barrel where the closing action would force the ball into the rifling, automatically sizing it, also probe-loaded magazine guns, where this is done by hand, but on some other guns it may take far too much energy to do so.
    Maybe true of modern arms but I am finding the 1930s Haenel pistols seem slightly over sized. A .455 ball worked the charm on the .177. The regular 22 seem to roll out the barrel so slightly oversized is what I'm looking for?
    Last edited by 45flint; 27-03-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Buying F size lead shot instead of Gamo 22 lead balls

Maybe true of modern arms but I am finding the 1930s Haenel pistols seem slightly over sized. A .455 ball worked the charm on the .177. The regular 22 seem to roll out the barrel so slightly oversized is what I'm looking for?
    The older bsa air rifles were true .22 bore too.
    Last edited by junglie; 28-03-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I should have guessed when you wrote about gamo .22 balls which my local gun shop could not get any of. Gamo won't import them nor will anybody else. I also have not managed to find any F size shot in the UK either
    I buy them off the bay. They come from Portugal takes about a week if I recall.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

This is what came back from the manufacturer of the F shot:

"Good morning Steve,

Our Lead Super Buck is manufactured using buckshot specs and buckshot tolerances. It is heavily QC’d and maintains tighter-than-industry tolerances. However, We do not test it in or intend it for use in other applications.

V/S

Jonathan"

They are covering their behinds, be fascinating experiment but is it worth $45? with the chance of failure probably high?
    And for me my Haenel 28 .177's are probably better shooters and I already have the perfect ammo for them.
    Last edited by 45flint; 28-03-2017 at 03:20 PM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    This is what came back from the manufacturer of the F shot:

"Good morning Steve,

Our Lead Super Buck is manufactured using buckshot specs and buckshot tolerances. It is heavily QC’d and maintains tighter-than-industry tolerances. However, We do not test it in or intend it for use in other applications.

V/S

Jonathan"

They are covering their behinds, be fascinating experiment but is it worth $45? with the chance of failure probably high?
    And for me my Haenel 28 .177's are probably better shooters and I already have the perfect ammo for them.
    Industry standard is +.006" and Hornady for example quote they maintain +.001" which is the opposite of what you want really i.e. a minus tolerance to avoid jams.