Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushnell legend

Bushnell legend

Bushnell legend 5-15x40
    Am I right in thinking this scopes mildots are spaced further apart than most mildot scopes so therefore best suited to centrefire and rimfire guns

It's a SFC reticle so you can simply adjust the magnification to set the dots to whatever size you wish, within reason of course!

I wasn't aware mine is.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    From memory it's set on 12 or 14.
    (It might be 15!!)

Whatever it's not 10 anyway!

It's whatever number is red on the mag knob IIRC.
    Master Debater

For some reason Bushnell use all sorts of ranging magnifications – perhaps more than any other manufacturer. They often use the highest magnification for whatever scope, in your case x15, but you can’t guess and Bushnell don’t tell! If one of the numbers on the magnification ring is a different colour from the others, that’s likely to be it, but your best bet is to measure it. Try downloading the ranging targets from here http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/targets/ (thanks again Anston).

I know what you’re getting at, but this is a good scope, and I don’t see why an x15 ranging magnification would rule it out for airgun use, provided it suits your eyes and the price and condition are right.

Alan

I use mine on 10x mag on an Airwolf for HFT and upped the mag to 15x last week for some bench rest practice; however it's not a good combo for BR so I have put it back down to 10x.

I've got a couple of these and they're brilliant, I use one on my 22LR and have just put the other on a sub 12ft lb HW100 and so far so good. It's true mag (ranging mag) is 15 by the way.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Totally suitable (and more !) for air rifles !
    Great scopes !
    Also used a Legend 3-9x40 on a .22LR rimfire with success. Its nestling on a Fenman now which is probably not the best choice for it but it works OK at 6x mag for 30 m.
    They wearnt that common and I was fortunate to get it (SGC) so I'll hang on to it.
    Last edited by Blackrider; 27-03-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

I thought the mildots are true at 12X and that's why the 12 is a different colour on the zoom ring
    Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum

Like I said in my first post Bushnell are very funny about the ranging mag - if the x12 is a different colour, that may well be the 'true mildot' mag for this particular scope, but it will only take a couple of minutes to test it, then you'll know for sure.

Alan

I also use this scope and can assure you it is fine for airgun and .22LR use. For the shooters who must have half mildot spacings this scope will not be ideal.
    There is no marking on the ring of any of mine (I have 8) to indicate 'true' mildot.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

There have been a few threads on mil-dots that have stated that Bushnell are "true" at 15x where pretty much every other scope is "true" at 10x ( or Hawkes 20x ret) personally I don't know.

All it means in practical terms is Chairgun type dot range zero's (holdover) will be out because their maths is at 10x true. but their 10x holdover will be your 15x their 5x your 7.5x their 6.6x your 10x, their 3.3x your 5x etc (if you follow)

I have one and have been very impressed by the quality of the glass.

However, I would not buy another, due to the lack of adjustment on the turrets. Not a big problem with windage but definitely for me on the elevation.

It may just be my scope (purchased over a decade ago in the USA) but there are only four and half revolutions on both turrets.

It worked fine on a CZ452 but on every air rifle I have had it ran out of vertical adjustment. I have had to use adjustable mounts with it. Extra expense and I don't like adjustable mounts as they are generally one piece and high, and I prefer medium height mounts.

Bushnell used cheap plastic adjustment levers on the turrets, and these split or just disintegrate in time. I have phoned Edgar Bros twice to get replacements and was told they would get back to me. Still waiting. I believe others have had more luck.

lMight as well make my own from stronger material. The adjustment mechanism on mine is very stiff and the plastic couldn't cope with the pressure.

Like I say, my scope may not be representative. Perhaps the ones sold in the UK had more adjustment.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Arthur, mine is the same. Top turret is stiff, plastic knob (!) broke, several calls to importer resulted in promises to send replacements. Never arrived.

I've been looking at making a replacement and it need not look like the original, all it needs is to have the two holes for the fixing screws in the right place, and not be too fat or too tall.

Thanks for letting me know Rich.

It's not just mine then.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.