Thread: Bushnell legend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I thought the mildots are true at 12X and that's why the 12 is a different colour on the zoom ring
    Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum

Like I said in my first post Bushnell are very funny about the ranging mag - if the x12 is a different colour, that may well be the 'true mildot' mag for this particular scope, but it will only take a couple of minutes to test it, then you'll know for sure.

Alan

I also use this scope and can assure you it is fine for airgun and .22LR use. For the shooters who must have half mildot spacings this scope will not be ideal.
    There is no marking on the ring of any of mine (I have 8) to indicate 'true' mildot.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

There have been a few threads on mil-dots that have stated that Bushnell are "true" at 15x where pretty much every other scope is "true" at 10x ( or Hawkes 20x ret) personally I don't know.

All it means in practical terms is Chairgun type dot range zero's (holdover) will be out because their maths is at 10x true. but their 10x holdover will be your 15x their 5x your 7.5x their 6.6x your 10x, their 3.3x your 5x etc (if you follow)

I have one and have been very impressed by the quality of the glass.

However, I would not buy another, due to the lack of adjustment on the turrets. Not a big problem with windage but definitely for me on the elevation.

It may just be my scope (purchased over a decade ago in the USA) but there are only four and half revolutions on both turrets.

It worked fine on a CZ452 but on every air rifle I have had it ran out of vertical adjustment. I have had to use adjustable mounts with it. Extra expense and I don't like adjustable mounts as they are generally one piece and high, and I prefer medium height mounts.

Bushnell used cheap plastic adjustment levers on the turrets, and these split or just disintegrate in time. I have phoned Edgar Bros twice to get replacements and was told they would get back to me. Still waiting. I believe others have had more luck.

lMight as well make my own from stronger material. The adjustment mechanism on mine is very stiff and the plastic couldn't cope with the pressure.

Like I say, my scope may not be representative. Perhaps the ones sold in the UK had more adjustment.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Arthur, mine is the same. Top turret is stiff, plastic knob (!) broke, several calls to importer resulted in promises to send replacements. Never arrived.

I've been looking at making a replacement and it need not look like the original, all it needs is to have the two holes for the fixing screws in the right place, and not be too fat or too tall.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Thanks for letting me know Rich.

It's not just mine then.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Alicante, Birmingham and sometimes Munich
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    All it means in practical terms is Chairgun type dot range zero's (holdover) will be out because their maths is at 10x true. but their 10x holdover will be your 15x their 5x your 7.5x their 6.6x your 10x, their 3.3x your 5x etc (if you follow)
    ChairGun's 'maths' is based on whatever you say the calibration magnification is.
    Use the Reticle Calibration applet - or do the sums manually if you're that way inclined - and the conjecture ends in ten minutes flat.

George

Thanks George never spotted that it can be changed from the pre-set "true" must look.

OK, I've looked but can't see how ??
    Last edited by angrybear; 30-03-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Alicante, Birmingham and sometimes Munich
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Thanks George never spotted that it can be changed from the pre-set "true" must look.

OK, I've looked but can't see how ??
    Since the Bushnell Legend isn't a Hawke scope, choose the 'Generic Mil-dot' reticle.
    If you're using the latest version (V4.3.1 I think) then the calibration mag of any reticle is adjustable via the Reticle Calibration applet (Toolbox >> Calculate & Calibrate >> Reticle Calibration ... or by right-clicking on the Cal.Mag textbox and selecting the Reticle Calibration item from the popup).
    If you're using an earlier Chairgun version then, once the Generic Mil-dot reticle has been selected, you can select the 'Calibrate Generic Mil-dot' (or something like that) option from the Toolbox menu.
    The two applets aren't identical but they both do the same thing.
    In either case, there are details in the appropriate helpfile.

I don't know why you would want to but you can do the same calculation by hand from:

C = M * T * 100 / (R * 3.6 * D)
    where:
    C = Calibration Magnification
    M = Indicated Magnification (on scope)
    R = range from scope-turrets to target (Yards)
    T = Target Size (Inches)
    D = Number of dot-spaces to span the Target

or, in froggy units:

C = M * T * 100 / (R * 10 * D) = M * T * 10 /(D * R)
    where:
    C = Calibration Magnification
    M = Indicated Magnification (on scope)
    R = range from scope-turrets to target (Metre)
    T = Target Size (cm)
    D = Number of dot-spaces to span the Target

For example:
    I once had a cheapo Chinese 3-9x Mil-dot scope allegedly calibrated at 10x but disparity with Chairgun's predicted aim-points indicated that it was nowhere near. Twiddling the calibration mag in Chairgun until the predictions and reality matched, it looked more like 12x.
    I found a scrap of wood, scribed two horizontal lines on it 12" apart and, with the scope set to 9x, walked towards the wooden target until the two lines were spanned by 10 full mil-dots. That happened at around 76 Feet (25.3 yards) from scope-turrets to target and measured with a surveyor's tape.
    So:
    C = M * T * 100 / (R * 3.6 * D) = 9 * 12 * 100 /(25.3 * 3.6 * 10) = 10800 / 910.8 = ~11.9x

George
    Last edited by GPConway; 30-03-2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Grammar