Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawke warranty.

Hawke warranty.

This is quoted from Hawke ' s website.

"If any Hawke product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will repair or, if repair is not possible, replace the product with an equivalent."

I purchased a new Hawke Panorama (HK5166) at a discounted price which turned out to be faulty so the retailer asked me to return it and he would in turn send it back to the manufacturer for assessment. I received a call one week later stating that it was indeed faulty but couldn't be repaired. I was told that as my scope was a discontinued model the replacement would be a Vantage. I argued that I purchased a Panorama so surely the equivalent is a current Panorama. I was then told that the modern Vantage is the equivalent of the discontinued Panorama. I looked at the spec's of the scopes and my original Panorama has 16 coats on the lenses whereas the modern Vantage has 11. The retailer (Morgan's of Oswestry), who have been brilliant with me told me that after a lengthy conversation with the manufacturer that they would honour this.
    3 weeks later I receive a phone call from Morgan's telling me that the Panorama has arrived but they have been billed the difference in price. They offered me the option of a refund of the original price but I said that I wanted the Panorama and reluctantly paid the difference. Morgan's have kindly bundled some bits and pieces as a goodwill gesture but Hawke remain steadfast.
    I have heard nothing but positive things regarding Hawke as a brand and have read on here people have had "no quibble" exchanges but I feel I have had the wool pulled over my eyes with this one. The above quote from the Hawke website seems to have not been followed up to me. I would think 16 coats on a scope compared to 11 coats is not equivalent.
    Perhaps I'm expecting too much from them.

I would agree with what your saying and that they tried to fob you of with an inferior scope. Why don't you try the small claims court and make a stand for the difference you have had to pay.

......or just go shooting.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Perhaps those 11 modern coats are better than the historic 16. From my own experience Hawke warranty has been flawless in the few times I have had to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    This is quoted from Hawke ' s website.

"If any Hawke product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will repair or, if repair is not possible, replace the product with an equivalent."

I purchased a new Hawke Panorama (HK5166) at a discounted price which turned out to be faulty so the retailer asked me to return it and he would in turn send it back to the manufacturer for assessment. I received a call one week later stating that it was indeed faulty but couldn't be repaired. I was told that as my scope was a discontinued model the replacement would be a Vantage. I argued that I purchased a Panorama so surely the equivalent is a current Panorama. I was then told that the modern Vantage is the equivalent of the discontinued Panorama. I looked at the spec's of the scopes and my original Panorama has 16 coats on the lenses whereas the modern Vantage has 11. The retailer (Morgan's of Oswestry), who have been brilliant with me told me that after a lengthy conversation with the manufacturer that they would honour this.
    3 weeks later I receive a phone call from Morgan's telling me that the Panorama has arrived but they have been billed the difference in price. They offered me the option of a refund of the original price but I said that I wanted the Panorama and reluctantly paid the difference. Morgan's have kindly bundled some bits and pieces as a goodwill gesture but Hawke remain steadfast.
    I have heard nothing but positive things regarding Hawke as a brand and have read on here people have had "no quibble" exchanges but I feel I have had the wool pulled over my eyes with this one. The above quote from the Hawke website seems to have not been followed up to me. I would think 16 coats on a scope compared to 11 coats is not equivalent.
    They replace with an item of equivalent value.

As the faulty one is a pre 2015 spec and was purchased at a discount price it should be replaced with a model of the value that you paid, I fail to see why they should provide one of the new spec/price range when you did not pay that amount of money.
    You were offered a full refund, to expect more back than you have paid is stupid.

I would think 16 coats on a scope compared to 11 coats is not equivalent.
    I would have expected same as You.

Has anyone here an old and a new Hawke Panorama? I only have a few old ones and I am very pleased
    with them regarding brightness and quality.

Are the new ones really better?

Hawke
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    They replace with an item of equivalent value.

As the faulty one is a pre 2015 spec and was purchased at a discount price it should be replaced with a model of the value that you paid, I fail to see why they should provide one of the new spec/price range when you did not pay that amount of money.
    You were offered a full refund, to expect more back than you have paid is stupid.
    I appreciate your view and see your point, I initially thought this myself but when I first looked on the seller's site the scope was £150 and when I contacted the seller I was told that the price had been updated but the website hadn't .
    My later thinking is that just because I managed to get a good discount on a new product shouldn't mean that if the product fails I get an inferior replacement, after all I bought the Panorama scope because of the reviews I had seen (on here as well as other places) and for the offer for it to be replaced with a Vantage, in my mind is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftgewehr100 View Post
    I would have expected same as You.

Has anyone here an old and a new Hawke Panorama? I only have a few old ones and I am very pleased
    with them regarding brightness and quality.

Are the new ones really better?
    I actually bought the last 2 Panoramas that were in stock. The first one is perfect, hence the purchase of the second one a week later so I can compare the old one and the new Panorama replacement. Perhaps my judgement maybe clouded but from initial use I can't tell the difference in the lens between the new and old.

I recently sent an old Panorama back via Deben for a loose eyebell. They reglued it and sent it back to me about a fortnight later, no fee... I was actually about 4 days out of warranty! Very happy.
    Donald

I appreciate your view and see your point, I initially thought this myself but when I first looked on the seller's site the scope was £150 and when I contacted the seller I was told that the price had been updated but the website hadn't .
    My later thinking is that just because I managed to get a good discount on a new product shouldn't mean that if the product fails I get an inferior replacement, after all I bought the Panorama scope because of the reviews I had seen (on here as well as other places) and for the offer for it to be replaced with a Vantage, in my mind is wrong.
    My point was more that the model number you quote HK5166, dates it as an old model panorama 4-12x40EV map 6A ret.
    That scope no longer exists todays Panorama 4-12x40 (15 121) only comes with the 10x half mil dot ret and has different specs across the board from yours as well as costing £40 or 26% more £189.99.

Nothing to do with getting a "good discount" it's plain OLD STOCK because the new model came in Dec 2014 for the 2015 sales year, and if the shop failed to tell you it was an old out of date model then they should have coughed up for the difference in price of a new one.

Had you bought the current model it would have been replaced with the current model regardless of what you paid, but you bought a cheaper, now out of date model, so it's entirely fair that if they replace it with a current model they match what you paid, my guess would be that they would have offered a Vantage max (14 285) 4-12x40 AO as being the closest in both spec & price to what you paid.

I've had 2 Sidewinders replaced with new, one after a few weeks, the other after 18 months with no questions.

Incidentally have you spoken to Hawke directly or has it all been done by the shop & did you actually see the replacement receipt with the charge on it ?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    My point was more that the model number you quote HK5166, dates it as an old model panorama 4-12x40EV map 6A ret.
    That scope no longer exists todays Panorama 4-12x40 (15 121) only comes with the 10x half mil dot ret and has different specs across the board from yours as well as costing £40 or 26% more £189.99.

Nothing to do with getting a "good discount" it's plain OLD STOCK because the new model came in Dec 2014 for the 2015 sales year, and if the shop failed to tell you it was an old out of date model then they should have coughed up for the difference in price of a new one.

Had you bought the current model it would have been replaced with the current model regardless of what you paid, but you bought a cheaper, now out of date model, so it's entirely fair that if they replace it with a current model they match what you paid, my guess would be that they would have offered a Vantage max (14 285) 4-12x40 AO as being the closest in both spec & price to what you paid.

I've had 2 Sidewinders replaced with new, one after a few weeks, the other after 18 months with no questions.

Incidentally have you spoken to Hawke directly or has it all been done by the shop & did you actually see the replacement receipt with the charge on it ?
    When I initially bought it I didn't realise that it wasn't a current model.
    As said before, I researched using the "scope reviews" on here as well as other places for a suitable scope for my needs (springer) and this has a good report from the sources I searched which is the reason I bought it.
    To look for the best price is one of the advantages of having access to the internet.
    I dealt with the retailer as it was them whom my contract is with. They in turn negotiated with Hawke who, after listening to my side said they would honour my request, only to supply the retailer with an invoice for the difference.
    I would say the crux of this is down to the word "Equivalent" in the warranty.
    Obviously, as there are mixed replies on this subject, there are arguments both for and against.

The price of Panoramas have gone up considerably so perhaps it has something to do with that. The other point being that you purchased the scope from a retailer and your contarct is therefore with the retailer and not Hawke. It is the responsibility of the retailer to either rplace the scope like for like or issue a refund so you could make your own choice. What Hawke decides to do or not for the retailer is hardly your problem.

A.G

When I initially bought it I didn't realise that it wasn't a current model.
    As said before, I researched using the "scope reviews" on here as well as other places for a suitable scope for my needs (springer) and this has a good report from the sources I searched which is the reason I bought it.
    To look for the best price is one of the advantages of having access to the internet.
    I dealt with the retailer as it was them whom my contract is with. They in turn negotiated with Hawke who, after listening to my side said they would honour my request, only to supply the retailer with an invoice for the difference.
    I would say the crux of this is down to the word "Equivalent" in the warranty.
    Obviously, as there are mixed replies on this subject, there are arguments both for and against.
    If the seller didn't tell you it was old stock then they are seriously at fault, if they inferred it was discounted from the current price of the current model then (imo) they outright ripped you off

If you thought it was a current model then I can understand why you would expect a brand new replacement, but equally now that you know it is at least 3 years out of date I would expect you to realise that it is unrealistic to expect the manufacturer to up grade from "bargain bucket old stock" to "top shelf-top of the range".

If it was me I would be straight back to the shop to complain about being sold a 2013(ish) model scope as being the current model, and depending on their reply possibly off to trading standards.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Most manufacturers filter down tech in there range.

So this years budget model might be last years mid model underneth and so on.
    Master Debater