Thread: Faith is restored! HW97kt Bench Shooting

Faith is restored! HW97kt Bench Shooting

Faith is restored! Before starting my second attempt at pellet testing from a bench with my HW97kt I emptied all the poly balls out my rifle rest and re-filled with rice, what an improvement! I started testing different shooting styles tried “artillery hold” and “straight onto the bag” both worked well, I did the test with the rifle straight onto a now firm rifle rest bag and the stock resting onto my left hand which worked well but as the shooting angle changed there was a noticeable jump from the centre of the target.

I set about putting 5 off each pellet below into the target

RWS Super Domes
    AA Field 4.51mm
    H&N Field Target Trophy 4.50mm
    JSB Exact 4.52mm
    JSB RS
    Weihrauch F&T Special (H&N FTT in 4.51mm)
    Weihrauch magnum
    Webley Accupel
    Falcon Accuracy plus
    JSB Express

As you can see I had some good groups and some excellent groupings, but given my faith in the old RWS Super Domes I put 10 pellets into the centre of the target, so I think I will stick with the RWS Super Domes at £6.50 a tin!

http://imgur.com/nbFHVUs

Nice groups
    You just need to try different types of rice now and see how they tighten.

What range were you shooting?
    I know it's a 25y card but they can be shot at 25cm if the fancy takes you!

I fill my bench rest bags with clay based cat litter. Nice and heavy and densely packed plus if you get caught short....

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    What range were you shooting?
    I know it's a 25y card but they can be shot at 25cm if the fancy takes you!

I fill my bench rest bags with clay based cat litter. Nice and heavy and densely packed plus if you get caught short....
    Did the test in my garden so limited to 15 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose75 View Post
    Faith is restored! Before starting my second attempt at pellet testing from a bench with my HW97kt I emptied all the poly balls out my rifle rest and re-filled with rice, what an improvement! I started testing different shooting styles tried “artillery hold” and “straight onto the bag” both worked well, I did the test with the rifle straight onto a now firm rifle rest bag and the stock resting onto my left hand which worked well but as the shooting angle changed there was a noticeable jump from the centre of the target.

I set about putting 5 off each pellet below into the target

RWS Super Domes
    AA Field 4.51mm
    H&N Field Target Trophy 4.50mm
    JSB Exact 4.52mm
    JSB RS
    Weihrauch F&T Special (H&N FTT in 4.51mm)
    Weihrauch magnum
    Webley Accupel
    Falcon Accuracy plus
    JSB Express

As you can see I had some good groups and some excellent groupings, but given my faith in the old RWS Super Domes I put 10 pellets into the centre of the target, so I think I will stick with the RWS Super Domes at £6.50 a tin!

http://imgur.com/nbFHVUs
    With a springer the hold must be consistent no matter what hold you use. Poly balls do not give a stable consistent platform for shooting a recoiling rifle. Rice or sand filled up to the brim and compacted as you have found out is the answer.

A.G